possible to save a Daz character to be put into a separate scene later?

So I am building slowly a little animation scene of some people in a school hallway moving and talking. The best way I feel to do this rather than trying to set up 6 something characters one at a time and make everything work so much slower and laggier because of this, is to maybe do them one at a time then save them and remove them from the scene then do the next character and save and remove from the scene and so on. Can this be done? so basically can you import a previously made character (M4 for example with clothes etc) into any daz scene later on? please tell me as basically as you can if its possible and how. Thankyou.

Comments

• I think what you're after is the save as Scene Subset function. You'll get a pop up menu and you can select any of the items in your scene you want to save.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

There are a couple of different ways to do this.

I generally set up my character, save it as a scene and then merge in to the final scene. (Merge is on the File menu, and I think you can either right click or ctrl click on the content library/smart content saved scenes too)

Another way is to save the character as a scene subset, which eliminates the need to remember to merge it into the scene (but requires you to remember to save it as a subset if you decide to make changes).  The other advantage that Scene Subset has is that you can select elements already in a scene and save them out separately without having to delete everything else in the scene.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

The only issue (usually) for me with subset, is having to create a separate image to accompany it when saving with other items in the scene, but it isn't normally an issue; if you do want to create a separate image for it, render one and save at suitable resolution 91 x 91 is default (PNG format), but for your own use, 256x256 or 512x512 (in PNG format) can be far more useful.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

I build all my characters and have them zeroed in various outfits. When the time comes to use them I merge them into my scene

• ToobisToobis Posts: 962

K I think I get it thankyou guys.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

Another thing I’ve done lately is create lower resolution characters pose those them  way I want then save as pose preset. When im ready to render with everything in my scene I load the figure and apply the pose. It saves my slower computer a lot of struggling to not pose characters with hd and fiber mesh morphs.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

I build all my characters and have them zeroed in various outfits. When the time comes to use them I merge them into my scene

...I do the same.  Sometimes I pose them first (especially they are going into a busy scene that slows down viewport response) but after merging them into a scene. go back into the character subset file and restore it to the zero default.