Loading and rendering speeds

When i load scenarios like Winter Land it takes forever to load and seems to slow down my computer, if i upgrade to a better computer with more memory and a better processor, will that speed up and improve that? 

Also, would it speed up rendering?

Comments

• johnbpjohnbp Posts: 55
    edited December 2017

I recently upgraded from an i5-4460S CPU with 16 GB of RAM and a GT 730 Nvidia card to an i7-4790K with 32 GB of RAM and a GTX 1050 TI video card.

My sample render on both:  Old system, 48 minutes 50 seconds.   New system 8 minutes 18 seconds for the same render.

I am happy with the results.

Not sure about load times.  They always seem to take too long!   wink

Edit to add: I did the sample render 3 times on each setup and the above numbers are an average of the 3.

Post edited by johnbp on
  • Yeah cause I tried loading Winter Land but it takes forever and after it finishes loading everything is just really slow, after awhile I just start fresh and load a simpler environment. Maybe I'll treat myself to a new computer.

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as the best for these types of projects?

edited December 2017

Yeah cause I tried loading Winter Land but it takes forever and after it finishes loading everything is just really slow, after awhile I just start fresh and load a simpler environment. Maybe I'll treat myself to a new computer.

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as the best for these types of projects?

What are the specs on the system you are using now?  My "new" system is still a couple of generations old in some ways... but much better than what I had.

It is hard to know what to recommend when we don't know what you have now.  Video card (I think) makes the most difference.  CPU speed would be second.  And of course, budget has to factor in.  I have a wife and a budget.  If I want to keep one, I have to stick to the other.  

Post edited by johnbp on
  • Intel Core I5-7200U [email protected]

8 GB RAM

price limit around 2000.00 tops i think

Was just looking on Best Buy, maybe go to 16 or even 32 GB

Intel Core I5-7200U [email protected]

8 GB RAM

price limit around 2000.00 tops i think

Was just looking on Best Buy, maybe go to 16 or even 32 GB

For something like this, custom is really better.  Maybe a barebones from a retail source, then get the best video card you can afford.  A Best Buy system is usually small form factor (limiting for add-on card size) and minimal expandibility (few if any expansion slots or flexibility for future upgrades like memory).  My entire "new" system was about $800 and included a full size tower, new motherboard, 32 GB of RAM, 2 TB hard drive (high speed), CPU and video card.  If I bought an off-the-shelf system I would have had to gut it, throw half away, and hope I could find a decent video card to fit into a mini-tower.  And it would have been MUCH more expensive this way.  With $2000 your system could kick my systems butt if you bought the right parts and put it together yourself.  Off-the-shelf, not so much.

• Problem for me is I don't know how to put it all togethor. I don't have much technical knowledge.

Problem for me is I don't know how to put it all togethor. I don't have much technical knowledge.

It is actually pretty easy, and there are a lot of tutorials to guide you through the process.  A plus is you will know your system inside and out at a much more informed level.  You learn a lot in the process, and like I said, it is not that hard.  The only tools needed are a screwdriver and your hands.

• Shading rate is 0.10

So if i raise it, that might speed it up a bit?

• mikecrea34mikecrea34 Posts: 59
    edited December 2017

I raised shading rate to 1, image seemed fine but it actually seemed to be taking longer to render. 

Also, what about pixel size, my width is 1920 and height is 1080 right now

Post edited by mikecrea34 on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

There is a very simlpe reason why your computer is slow in Daz Studio and rendering.
    The CPU that you listed (i5 7200U) is a mobile dual core CPU with hyperthreading and Intel HD 620 Graphics integrated into the CPU.

You can get a very nice machine that will be great for Iray rendering for that $2000 budget you mentioned. (Though I would not purchase a high end computer from a "Brick and Mortar" retailer like Best Buy.
    If you purchase from one of the "boutique" computer companies like CyberPowerPC, or iBuyPower, you can have them custom build you a nice machine with 16GB of RAM and a Geforce GTX 1080 ti for less than your proposed budget.
    Or you could get a nice 17" laptop with 16GB of RAM and a Geforce GTX 1070 for around $1700