Video Boards

poorman_65poorman_65 Posts: 140
edited December 2017 in The Commons

I am working on a game and I'm doing most of the development on my laptop. My laptop has a GTX 960M which has 640 Cudo Cores. I have a couple PCs that aren't used a lot and would like to set them up to farm out the iry Renders to them. I have a couple questsions:

1) What is the sweet spot for price/performance for video boards right now? I'm not looking to spend a fortune. I just need want to have a respectable turn-around on my Renders.

2) What techniques do you recommend for farming out the Renders to the PCs from my laptop. Worst case would be to try to keep the PCs up to date with my Laptop Daz Studio and just load the Scenes on the PCSs. .... but I would think there would be much better workflows.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Post edited by poorman_65 on

Comments

• GatorGator Posts: 1,294
    edited December 2017
    Dunno on price/performance on the lower end, mining has jacked up prices of 1070 cards. 1080 Ti is awesome for the price performance, especially since it has 11GB of VRAM.

Daz doesn't have a network renderer, so you'll install on another computer and run it from there. Good thing is that you can export your library list from DIM, and import on another computer. You can also set the download location for DIM at the other computer so you don't have to download all the files again.

Post edited by Gator on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

I am working on a game and I'm doing most of the development on my laptop. My laptop has a GTX 960M which has 640 Cudo Cores. I have a couple PCs that aren't used a lot and would like to set them up to farm out the iry Renders to them. I have a couple questsions:

1) What is the sweet spot for price/performance for video boards right now? I'm not looking to spend a fortune. I just need want to have a respectable turn-around on my Renders.

2) What techniques do you recommend for farming out the Renders to the PCs from my laptop. Worst case would be to try to keep the PCs up to date with my Laptop Daz Studio and just load the Scenes on the PCSs. .... but I would think there would be much better workflows.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Honestly the best price/perfrmance spot depends on your budget and how complicated are scenes you're rendering.
    Most people will reccomend a GPU with at least 8GB of VRAM (This is becasue the entire scene needs to fit in that GPU's VRAM for it to participate in the Iray render job)

GTX 1070 ti 8GB is probably your best bet if you are willing to spend $450 (Directly from Nvidia)
    I would reccomend the regular 1070, but they are almost as expensive as the ti version right now.  (or keep an eye on Nvidia's site because they sell cards directly at the correct retail price, but the regular GTX 1070 is out of stock right now)

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Here's some info on GPUs

Iray Benchmark Price Performance.PNG
    786 x 525 - 29K
  • $450 would be ok. Really wouldn't want to go any higher than that. 

One thing I just realized is that my motherboards are only PCIE 2.0. Will that make a difference since it loads everything into the GPU?

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

$450 would be ok. Really wouldn't want to go any higher than that. 

One thing I just realized is that my motherboards are only PCIE 2.0. Will that make a difference since it loads everything into the GPU?

My main render box/gaming computer is PCIe 2.0 and I'm running a GTX 1080 ti just fine.  The render itself is for the most part independent from the rest of the computer, so the only thing that you might notice is that larger scenes might take a couple of extra seconds to load into your VRAM.

For $450, skip the price gougers and buy yourself a GTX 1070 ti directly from Nvida . 

• Dunno on price/performance on the lower end, mining has jacked up prices of 1070 cards. 1080 Ti is awesome for the price performance, especially since it has 11GB of VRAM.

Daz doesn't have a network renderer, so you'll install on another computer and run it from there. Good thing is that you can export your library list from DIM, and import on another computer. You can also set the download location for DIM at the other computer so you don't have to download all the files again.

You can do network rendering with Iray. Look at the Advanced tab, there is something called DAZ Bridge which can be used to render through an Iray Server

However Iray Server costs 300$ per year and per computer. That's a bit prohibitive if you want to use your desktop PCs to render once in a while but that can be done