Are we going to finally see a nicely detailed concert grand piano model for Daz?

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
edited December 2017 in The Commons

...just saw the promo for the HD Violin and Poses by Protozoon. Love the detail and the fact there are poses for G3 included so I immediately grabbed it.

In scrolling through the promo images I also couldn't help but notice in one of the scenes, there is a nice accurate looking concert length (9') grand piano with what apears to be a fully modelled interior (as well as a recital hall stage).  Is this something that will be forthcoming?  I have been looking for a model of a proper fully detailed concert grand piano since I started in this over a dacade ago.

02-hd-violin-and-poses-for-genesis-3-and-8-daz3d.jpg
500 x 649 - 286K
Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 552
    edited December 2017
    kyoto kid said:

...just saw the promo for the HD Violin and Poses by Protozoon. Love the detail and the fact there are poses for G3 included so I immediately grabbed it.

In scrolling through the promo images I also couldn't help but notice in one of the scenes, there is a nice accurate looking concert length (9') grand piano with what apears to be a fully modelled interior (as well as a recital hall stage).  Is this something that will be forthcoming?  I have been looking for a model of a proper fully detailed concert grand piano since I started in this over a dacade ago.

Let’s just say it’ll be 297 centimeters long;)

Post edited by Protozoon on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

If fully rigged and with 3DL mats it will be an instant buy!

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281

Sixus 1 recently brought out a grand piano at Rendo. Don't know how accurate, but it's on sale at 50% off at the moment.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 2017
    Protozoon said:
    kyoto kid said:

...that's about 3" longer than a Bosendorf Imperial 290 (9' 6") which is the most renowned piano in the world and 9" longer than the Stienway D model (their largest).

Fazilo makes 308 cm instrument (10' 1") and Borgato Pianoforte has recently unveiled their Gran Prix 333 (333 cm - 10' 9") model which will be the largest concert grand piano produced in the world.  There are other larger ones (like the 5.7 metre long piano a young fellow from New Zealand built which is straight strung and has a full length 16' long bass string at C¹) but those are pretty much "one offs".

...anyway, I digress as this makes my story's star character Leela really happy.

Leela goofball.jpg
    849 x 1200 - 671K
    kyoto kid said:
    Protozoon said:
    kyoto kid said:

...that's about 3" longer than a Bosendorf Imperial 290 (9' 6") which is the most renowned piano in the world and 9" longer than the Stienway D model (their largest).

Fazilo makes 308 cm instrument (10' 1") and Borgato Pianoforte has recently unveiled their Gran Prix 333 (333 cm - 10' 9") model which will be the largest concert grand piano produced in the world.  There are other larger ones (like the 5.7 metre long piano a young fellow from New Zealand built which is straight strung and has a full length 16' long bass string at C¹) but those are pretty much "one offs".

...anyway, I digress as this makes my story's star character Leela really happy.

Lol you really seem to know your way around grand pianos, and nice render tooyes

• Sorry typo, 278,4 cm seems it to be. We have a Bösendorfer imperial and Steinway D at my workplace for grands. Those and Bechstein has been the inspiration:) A little sneak peek attached.

Grand02.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 373K
    Grand01.jpg
    1298 x 927 - 930K
    edited December 2017

...Leela would give you a big hug if she were real. laugh

Familiar with and played on all three as well as the Bosendorfer 290 with 97 keys (I actually wrote an alternative scoring for one of my works where I instructed the performer to move the left hand down an octave in several passages if they were performing on an Imperial to get that low 32' C and used that lower register in parts of Debussy's La cathédrale engloutie)

My favourite was an old 1928 Steinway D that we had in our choir rehearsal room at the college I attended many years ago.  Sadly the pinblock dried out as there was no humidity in the room which caused a crack to form which affected tuning stability. As the piano was originally a gift to the college in 1933 by an affluent local. When the college mentioned that if they got rid of it they wouldn't be able to sell or even donate it and it would literally have to be destroyed due to some bizarre bureaucratic clause in state funding rules. Many saw this as a travesty that such a fine historic instrument (it still had the original ivory keyslips) wold be allowed to just whither and die.  The college relented and finally had the instrument restored with a new pinblock as well as placed a humification unit in the room. 

I loved playing on it as it had a lovely rich warm sound (very nice for Chopin, Debussy, and Ravel) and very crisp action.  I even would request to have it moved up to the recital hall for my performances.  The Steinways we had in the recital hall were too "new" and the actions very "stiff" (we called them the "CBS Steinways" as they were built after the company was sold by the family to Columbia Broadcasting).  Sitting at the lovely old piano (which I affectionately called "my Steinway") I felt so much at ease and more connected to the music I performed.  When I left college, I felt I was leaving an old and dear friend behind.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,870

I love the new violin! Finally. I hope there's a catchup sale before the end of the year. I'd like an electric guitar and bass with strings that had appropriate relative diameters (and also bend morphs)!

I don't know how accurate the dimensions and details are on Sixus1's piano, but EVERY key is rigged!

edited December 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    Protozoon said:
    kyoto kid said:

Lol you really seem to know your way around grand pianos, and nice render tooyes

..yeah was a music major in college, one of those 'late bloomers' so to say as we never could afford lessons, much less a piano when I was young.  I basically tool to the instrument like a fish to water form the get go. However not having some big name school behind me (even having to fight my way into being accepted in the music programme at the state college I was attending) as I was not some child prodigy composition and teaching became my focus rather than the concert stage.

I also did an unsupported personal study of piano, harpsichord, and organ design/construction, as well as piano tuning and regulation (even worked with a friend helping him build one of those kit harpsichords that were popular in the 70s).  On my own I also learned harpsichord and organ technique, as well as when in college formal instruction in violin, woodwinds, and percussion to gain a better "hands on" understanding of the instruments for composing (never did study brass as I didn't have the breath capacity for it).  An interesting side note was that the violin seemed to feel very natural to me and I took to it quickly as well.  The professor was disappointed that I was quitting after one year (originally it was just to be only one term but she convinced me to stay on one more semester).

Sadly in my later years arthritis began to take it's toll as I have lost most of the dexterity in my right had as well as strength in the fingers which is now it is beginning to happen in my left (also the reason I got into 3D as I w have been involved in visual art as long as I can remember but no longer am able to draw or paint like I used to, yeah, had a double major in Art as well) so I no longer play.

Thanks for the comment. That's Leela in happier times when at the age of 9-10 she was beginning to turn heads in the music world before her nation was invaded and occupied for years by a ruthless dictatorship.

I may have taken to the piano like a fish to water, she was born with it in her soul.

xyer0 said:

I love the new violin! Finally. I hope there's a catchup sale before the end of the year. I'd like an electric guitar and bass with strings that had appropriate relative diameters (and also bend morphs)!

I don't know how accurate the dimensions and details are on Sixus1's piano, but EVERY key is rigged!

...coming from my background, it's OK but some of the proportions of the case do no look right (for one it looks too "shallow") the lid prop is too short, and the pedal traps have no pushrods to the damper rails.

• Keys, hammers, dampers, pedals, lid, keyboard cover, long and short lid prop and wheels will be rigged. Ready in a month I guess.

• Protozoon said:

Keys, hammers, dampers, pedals, lid, keyboard cover, long and short lid prop and wheels will be rigged. Ready in a month I guess.

Oh. And playing poses.

edited December 2017
    Protozoon said:

Keys, hammers, dampers, pedals, lid, keyboard cover, long and short lid prop and wheels will be rigged. Ready in a month I guess.

...excellent. This will allow for nice close ups and shots from the back of the instrument.

Sounds like a nice way to ring in the new year.

Protozoon said:

Oh. And playing poses.

...perfect.

Looks promising fore sure! Palmgren? That sounds Swedish:-0

• Looks promising fore sure! Palmgren? That sounds Swedish:-0

Google Selim Palmgren:)

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507

Or maybe this one ?

GrandPianoMall.jpg
    960 x 540 - 75K
  • ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209

If then Bösendörfer :-)........but the stings, hell maybe a Roland RD 150 is easier......

Greets, ArtisanS

• ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209
    kyoto kid said:

Familiar with and played on all three as well as the Bosendorfer 290 with 97 keys (I actually wrote an alternative scoring for one of my works where I instructed the performer to move the left hand down an octave in several passages if they were performing on an Imperial to get that low 32' C and used that lower register in parts of Debussy's La cathédrale engloutie)

My favourite was an old 1928 Steinway D that we had in our choir rehearsal room at the college I attended many years ago.  Sadly the pinblock dried out as there was no humidity in the room which caused a crack to form which affected tuning stability. As the piano was originally a gift to the college in 1933 by an affluent local. When the college mentioned that if they got rid of it they wouldn't be able to sell or even donate it and it would literally have to be destroyed due to some bizarre bureaucratic clause in state funding rules. Many saw this as a travesty that such a fine historic instrument (it still had the original ivory keyslips) wold be allowed to just whither and die.  The college relented and finally had the instrument restored with a new pinblock as well as placed a humification unit in the room. 

I loved playing on it as it had a lovely rich warm sound (very nice for Chopin, Debussy, and Ravel) and very crisp action.  I even would request to have it moved up to the recital hall for my performances.  The Steinways we had in the recital hall were too "new" and the actions very "stiff" (we called them the "CBS Steinways" as they were built after the company was sold by the family to Columbia Broadcasting).  Sitting at the lovely old piano (which I affectionately called "my Steinway") I felt so much at ease and more connected to the music I performed.  When I left college, I felt I was leaving an old and dear friend behind.

Does Kyoto Kid have audio available, since this sounds cool!

Greets, ArtisanS

Protozoon said:

Lol that made me feel like an idiot, being from Finland and allblush

• Protozoon said:

Lol that made me feel like an idiot, being from Finland and allblush

Eipä mittään:)

edited December 2017
    Protozoon said:

ArtisanS said:
    kyoto kid said:

Does Kyoto Kid have audio available, since this sounds cool!

Greets, ArtisanS

...sadly no, as I never had an actual performance recorded.  Personally recorded several rehearsal sessions as well as improvisations both on piano and organ and tuned percussion setups back in the day but those were on ancient mid-quality cassete tapes using a portable system that are now lost to time with all the moving I have done since.  Never had a chance to record my time on the Imperial as that (believe it or not) was in the public atrium of a commerce centre in Seattle back in the early 80s. 

How this came to be was the centre's administration had an old Steinway D siting there for people to sit down and play (surprisingly it was not abused however the building's security and the surrounding shops kept a good eye on things). Well one day When passing through there I noticed there was a different piano, a Bosendorfer Imperial 290 with the extra 9 keys. Most people seemed intimidated by it's super shiny case, more massive size, and wider key compass so only those with some semblance of training actually would dare sit down at it.  As I learned it was a "loaner" from the shop that was doing a full restoration of the old Steinway (one from an earlier era like the one at my college that also had ivory naturals).

Naturally the first piece I had to play was one of my own works (a short prelude inspired by the works of Chopin that used the "Italian technique" and a lot of tricky pedalling to sustain the upper melodic and base notes but not bur the ostinato part).  I immediately felt like I was in the pianist's version of heaven as I could almost feel the strings vibrating through the keys and the tone was remarkable.  Of course that extra 3/4 octave in the bass was way too temping not to try.  The 32' C (lowest key) was a pure musical tone, not a dull "thud".  So for my next work I performed the first piece from a set I was working on at the time titled Carrillons that was a slow building piece depicting the morning sunrise (yeah the impressionistic era had a bit influence on me as well). The first opening bars sent shivers through me with the depth of that bass (this was the work where I did the alternate scoring after this experience).  After that I had to try La cathédrale engloutie. and it felt mesmerising, so much so I hadn't noticed I attracted a rather sizeable audience both on the floor and balcony above.

The Imperial remained there for about two months and I made it a point to at least once a week go down and play it.  After the Steinway was returned I still continued to play there when I could.  Yeah the 290 was an incredible experience, however, the work the shop did with the Steinway was lovingly done and it played like "new" (well like it would have in the 1930s) however, with the same crispness of action and lovely warm deep tone. The only sad part was they resurfaced the naturals as several of the old keyslips were cracked or broken.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    Protozoon said:

A little sneak peek attached.

Very nice looking!

• Great on the piano and the violin is in my cart, but I'd love a cello made as well as the violin:-)