Assembly Room preview window

Hello,

Was curious if there's a way to increase the size, or possibly detach the Preview window you have in the modeling room? It's really tiny down in that corner, and I'd like to be able to resize it, or at least have a larger version of it somewhere.

I've not been able to find anything about this on my own, but Carrara's a big program, so it's possible I'm just overlooking it.

Thanks!

previewwindow.JPG
550 x 540 - 44K

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

The only way I've found is what you're doing - dragging the panel border larger and dragging the window tray upwards - but that change is global within the whole program, so I never really liked doing that. I could be wrong and maybe there is a way, but I don't know of it.

So what I do, if I really need to interact with the scene as I model, is to instead model in the Assemble Room. After doing that a few times I find myself always modeling in the Assemble room unless I want to isolate my view to only the object I'm working on.

So I'll drop a new Vertex Object into the scene, which launches the Model Room. I immediately close the Model Room, select the Vertex Object in the Assemble Room and click the little Wrench icon in the upper left window toolbar and the Assemble room turns into the Vertex Modeler.

We can go back and forth between Assemble Room and the Vertex Modeler as long as we exit Edit mode in the Assemble Room. It's actually pretty smooth.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 2017

Don't forget, you can split the main view into 2, 3 or 4 separate views, plus an inset, using the icons on the top right toolbar. You can select the camera for each view in the usual way. You can also toggle between horizontal and vertical split views just by clicking the button again.

It doesn't give you an assembly room preview in the modelling room, but it's the next best thing. And as Dart said, we can model from within the assembly room.

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 09.43.41.png
    428 x 168 - 22K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • WsCGWsCG Posts: 391
    edited December 2017

So, I never even knew about that wrench icon in the Assembly room lol. It's just not part of the interface I ever found myself even looking at 'til now lol.

That actually achieves exactly what I was trying to do by having a separate preview window. I just wanted that so I could keep the whole scene in view, to make sure things were lined up and scaled relative to everything else, etc. So this is 100% better than the Preview window thing. It's actually how I prefer to work in the first place. It was getting tedious modeling in the modeling view, and then having to go back to the assembly view to make sure it was lined up correctly, etc.

Thanks for that tip! That makes things so much easier for me!

Post edited by WsCG on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I was late to actually trying that out myself. One day I was just going over some of the stuff on my list that I wanted to try... I use it Always now!

Once in a while I just want to solo out what I'm working on and will jump into the model room. But that's rare compared to now using the Model-In-Assemble-Room feature, I love it!