tv screen

laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi!!! I have problems to build a shader matching a screen old tv... as the shader has to be ok on a hand's shape, not a flat surface, but giving the feel of "jumping" out of a tv screen... it seems that an off grey, xith some reflections, don't seems convincing..
thank you for any ideas!!!

test_copy.jpg
729 x 568 - 187K

Comments

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

celmar said:
    Hi!!! I have problems to build a shader matching a screen old tv... as the shader has to be ok on a hand's shape, not a flat surface, but giving the feel of "jumping" out of a tv screen... it seems that an off grey, xith some reflections, don't seems convincing..
    thank you for any ideas!!!

Celmar, it is likely I don't understand precisely what you need, so let me try something and see if this is in the direction of what you want.

I created a curved surface (shown below) by dropping a vertex sphere into a scene and increasing the object definition to 100. I then selected a region along the equator of the sphere (approximately the shape of a TV screen), inverted the selection, and clicked "delete" leaving the curved surface. Going into "UV Editing Mode", I selected "Box Face" so that the mapping occurs equally across the curved surface. This will handle any distortion effects in displaying something on the screen.

You can then drag the surface over your TV frame, and drop a shader that provides reflection and texture (AVI?).

Is this close to what you are looking for?

Mapping.jpg
    1635 x 787 - 235K
  • laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
    edited May 2013

thank you, Fractal Dimensia, but no, it's not the geometry, but the shader, which is complicated: I'm doing a picture , with an old tv, and the screen is becoming a hand, going out of the screen, to the viewver... OK; if the semi transparent, and semi reflective, shader works easily on the curved surface of the screen, it don't do the trick on the hand... the balance between the transparencie and the opaque, kill the effect that it's exactly tthe same material,h and and screen... I join a test, which show the shader I've done, not good unfortunely!

testhand_copy.jpg
    681 x 511 - 150K
    Post edited by laverdet_943f1f7da1 on
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well that looks like it will be a very cool effect if you can get it to work!

Any reason why you can't just allow the shader to change as the hand "morphs" out of the screen? That is, the initial shader as the hand forms takes on the surface of the screen, but then change the channel settings (color, reflection, bump, shininess, etc.) over time by adjusting the tweeners to handle the transformation accordingly.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Celmar. :)

I don't think the shader needs to be the same for both objects,. it works well on the screen because it's off grey and reflective and that's what you'd expect to see on an old TV ,. but I think the hand would have less grey colour and more transparency, like (normal glass)

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Maybe you should use a solid object of about 1/2 inch thickness for the glass with using an appropriate refraction index.
    In addition behind this a gray plane for the illuminating surface, that should have s light bump of a fine grain.