"Misty Calm" (Carrara WIP)

GothicStarGothicStar Posts: 17
edited May 2013 in Art Studio

Misty Calm is my WIP (Work In Progress) that I wanted to share with the DAZ community. I model the hard lined (non-organic) models in another 3rd party program, then import into Carrara. However, much of the modeling (all of the organic and sculpted) is done in Carrara. I decided before venturing too far into the more organic (sculpted, realm of modeling), that I would stick with what I am more use to, the hard lined.

So...

I decided to create an entire spacecraft from the ground up. My plan is to model (engineer) the ENTIRE spacecraft, all the way down to the smallest details, like the buttons one would push with their finger. I realize at some point, that I will lose memory, bound to be some limit out there in regard to just how detailed in polygon count, that I can go.... Those limits... I will push them as far as I can until I break something. Here is my way of creating it though, may seem completely illogical and totally backwards in thinking, but rather than design the spacecraft from the outside and force my way into it with ever increasing detail.... I plan to do the opposite. I have decided to look at the bark of the tree rather than the forest - In other words, I want to make all the tiny bells and whistles, the highly detailed, tiny stuff, then position all that together.

Like a junk yard dog building a complete spacecraft.

Please add suggestions... Help me with rendering... Lighting especially... Any ideas or thoughts... Critic my work. Tell me where it needs improvement. Any suggestions on how to render more efficiently will probably be one of my main questions. Plus, help with basic conservation of memory (apart from buying a $20,000 computer) would be nice. :)

I am currently studying Calculus III with Analytic Geometry, plus Physics I and Physics I Lab this summer semester... so... I may be a bit late responding and posting new stuff... However, I plan to work on this as a LONG TERM WIP (will update new photos)

I have an off link site where I post all my renderings for those who are interested (not sure if DAZ would consider this as spamming) - http://www.mistycalm.com

Carrara_Hull_Window.png
800 x 500 - 203K
Carrara_Hull_Interior.png
800 x 500 - 201K
Carrara_Engineering_Hull.png
800 x 500 - 197K
Carrara_Catwalk_Deck_2.png
800 x 500 - 423K
Carrara_Catwalk_Deck.png
800 x 500 - 239K
Post edited by GothicStar on

Comments

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Looks great so far. Since your are using carrara, you may want to model in some lighting fixtures and use the shape lighting to mimic them.

Good luck with your classes. Calculus make Physics easier.

ncamp

• GothicStarGothicStar Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    Looks great so far. Since your are using carrara, you may want to model in some lighting fixtures and use the shape lighting to mimic them.

Good luck with your classes. Calculus make Physics easier.

ncamp

Shape Lighting (well here shows my noob side) - Shape Lighting I have yet to grasp, yet knew of it's existence until you mentioned this. Sounds very interesting. I will study up on shape lighting.

Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

This looks like it's going to be impressive, can't wait to see more.