How Do I Make Character Models?

I just need to know how to make character models and I'm not sure if there's a tutorial for it that I missed. I don't even know if I have this in the right category...I'm a newbie at all this. Please help me.

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,076

a) Do you want to learn to make 3D models? Much time learning, say a 3 - 12 months steady effort - for that you need to go to YouTube, search for Blender tutorials, and download the ones on topics you are interested in.

b) No, you want to use models you can buy pre-made products for to change the way they look. Download DAZ Install Manager, Install DAZ Studio, Install all the free basic models they give and spend time learning that. Buy products in the DAZ Store according to your interests and progress.

• sura_tcsura_tc Posts: 174
    edited January 2018

If you plan to make a brand new character model, it's a hard work. You are going to need basic modelling skills and an application of your choice. Daz Studio isn't one.

In a nut shell, it works like this.

Grab a nude human model photo that has front, side, and back.

Import them into your application into the background and copy its shape.

Once basic shape is done, get rid of the images and do the detailing.

At this point, you will probably want to do eye balls and mouth as seperate meshes.

Then comes rigging.

Above is for realistic figure. Cartoon-ish or anime-like figure is a lot easier.

... Good luck. You are going to need a lot of reading.

Post edited by sura_tc on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,137
    edited January 2018

1) Creating your own mesh

DesertDude was kind enough to post a collection of free character (Blender) tutorial videos in this thread.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1439161/#Comment_1439161

The very talented Vyusur also has several useful free video tutorials under the name cgcreator.  Part 1 is here and will lead to some others.  

2) Creating a new morph for a Daz figure

Josh Darling has a series of free tutorials related to Daz figures.  You will want to not only make morphs for your characters, but also correct joint bends and other details if body proportions are changed.  His channel is here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtqhpxQyGa7fm0LPoDz4s4A

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,137
    edited January 2018

3) Simplest - Using Existing Morphs (and purchases) to Shape Character

Just in case you are looking for something simpler, the following video shows how to change a Daz figure shape with Daz's premade morphs.  You don't have to make your own.

Good luck, and hope to see you around the forums.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • kamas-u-rkamas-u-r Posts: 0

Hello,

Excluding the 1st option to sculpt your own mesh from scratch that it is obvious you are the owner, are the second or even the third option legit in order to own the end result of that character?

In order to use it commercially as you like. As an example to sell the 3d printed files etc. Having in mind that you are using the default Daz figure as a base.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099

kamas-u-r said:

Hello,

Excluding the 1st option to sculpt your own mesh from scratch that it is obvious you are the owner, are the second or even the third option legit in order to own the end result of that character?

In order to use it commercially as you like. As an example to sell the 3d printed files etc. Having in mind that you are using the default Daz figure as a base.

Anything that isn't subject to the Editirial License and that doesn't have additional restrictions listed on the Product page (e.g.the old Anne Marie Goddard Digitial Clone for Victoria 3) can be used commercially, subject to the license terms - and those terms alsdo cover the bsae figure, so sculpting your own character would have no bearing. To seel 3D pronts you would need the 3D printing license for the base and any morphs/characters used.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,118

I believe "seel 3D pronts" means "sell 3D prints".

barbult said:

Err, yes. You try typing with paws.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,353

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

... but @barbult manages to type with beak and claws?! 

MelanieL said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

Birds, especially certain families, are much smarter than many mammals (passing the mirror test, for example).

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,969

Richard Haseltine said:

MelanieL said:

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

Birds, especially certain families, are much smarter than many mammals (passing the mirror test, for example).

Intelligence does not directly correlate to ability to perform a certain function.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,118

barbult said:

Ah,yes,paws! That actually explains a lot. Beak and claws come to a sharper point. It is easier to hit precise keys on the keyboard. I help where I can.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,994

Diomede said:

3) Simplest - Using Existing Morphs (and purchases) to Shape Character

Just in case you are looking for something simpler, the following video shows how to change a Daz figure shape with Daz's premade morphs.  You don't have to make your own.

Good luck, and hope to see you around the forums.

..this is the process I use. It also helps to have various other content besides just characters, like merchant and morph resource kits as well as transfer and conversion utilities.