Fenrics Change Bone Visibility

Has anyone installed Fenrics  Change Bone Visibility? A product that removes bones that appear whith the manipulators. I installed it but the files do not appear in the Extensions folder.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Yup. I can't work with Genesis figures without it!

In Carrara, look for Edit > Fenric > Change Bone visibility.

I like (need) it so much, I've written a little article about it:

► Fenric’s Change Bone Visibilty Plugin

LOL!!! I just (now) noticed that I misspelled visibility in the image! Hah!!!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

it's the scifi dystopian spelling

Mistara said:

it's the scifi dystopian spelling

Yeah... that's it! yes  Thanks ;)

• barrieMbarrieM Posts: 292

Phil Wilkes used it on his DVD. It supposed to be so easy to install. Maybe I got a lemon. Nice article. Yes the bones are so annoying. 

No lemon.

Okay let's go through this:

You should have got a zip file 

If I remember correctly, either you get multiple zip files or one zip file with options inside.

Get to the correct option for your computer

What we're looking for are 3 files, each named ChangeBoneVisibility-1.2, each with a different extension: .dat, .mcx, and .txt

Those three files are what need to go into the Extensions folder.

Example, don't drag the zip into the extensions folder. Don't put anything else in there... just those three files, and only those that match your situation.

Make sure they're going into the actual program installation's Extension folder.

Good to go?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I think it’s the only plugin by Fenric I don’t own frown

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I don't need it. I like to see every bone I select or move.

• barrieMbarrieM Posts: 292

Thank you Dartanbeck. It now works. I didn't realize that I had to download the free trial before I paid for it. After paying, I hit the download button which of course was only the key that activates the installed app.

Vyusur said:

I can see that. I found it too easy (which really slowed me down) to select the wrong thing, like Right Should Wireframe instead of Right Shoulder. After using the Change Bone Visibility plugin, the "wireframe" becomes non-selectable, which is a huge boon for me when I'm, say, animating fingers, for example. But I found that it sped up my entire workflow all around. Now I most often just right-click near the joint I want and select it. Bam.

Without the plugin, sometimes right-clicking won't even show the proper thing to grab - only the wireframe - at least if memory serves.

barrieM said:

Thank you Dartanbeck. It now works. I didn't realize that I had to download the free trial before I paid for it. After paying, I hit the download button which of course was only the key that activates the installed app.

My pleasure. There was a time when I always needed answers, and this forum was always there for me. So I try to return that favor as often as I can, if  can - and even sometimes if I can't! LOL

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    Vyusur said:

I can see that. I found it too easy (which really slowed me down) to select the wrong thing, like Right Should Wireframe instead of Right Shoulder. After using the Change Bone Visibility plugin, the "wireframe" becomes non-selectable, which is a huge boon for me when I'm, say, animating fingers, for example. But I found that it sped up my entire workflow all around. Now I most often just right-click near the joint I want and select it. Bam.

Without the plugin, sometimes right-clicking won't even show the proper thing to grab - only the wireframe - at least if memory serves.

barrieM said:

My pleasure. There was a time when I always needed answers, and this forum was always there for me. So I try to return that favor as often as I can, if  can - and even sometimes if I can't! LOL

I had to re-install Carrara from scratch (because of the DS 4.10 fiasco with Smart Content) and all works great now except for Fenric's Change Bone Visibility. It's in my Extensions folder, re-downloaded from my stored zip files, key file applied... looks just like the old folder (I kept a copy of Extensions on my external hard drive) but it's not even in the fenric list under Edit as Change Bone (not even grayed out) I only see Set Figure Visibility... don't even remember that one and it's not in the Extentions folder list as that. I have lots of his plugins but only use that one to be honest.

I emailed him with a copy of my paid for order, but am wondering if he is still checking that email?  Should I try another way?  

Cheers for any help... smiley Silene

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Hi Silene!

Most of the extensions support a "Copy/paste"  but a few of them have an installer (.exe).

It could be the case here (sorry, I don't own it).

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

I have the four files in the Extensions folder not in their own folder... works as normal.

bones vis files.jpg
    595 x 174 - 114K
    edited March 2018

Thanks, Stezza and Dudu.  I had the downloaded files exactly as you show them. See my screenies.  I have the 1.2 version. I think the original one was 1.0 or something, but that is not in my Extensions folder even though I did download the original trial first. Maybe I had the 1.2 trial from the getgo. But for some reason, in the Edit>fenric list, Change Bone Visibility no longer shows even though I have the files and the key! 

The text file does list Change Bone Visibility, also I cannot find a reference to the Set Figure Visibility in the Extensions folder that is in the list (was it there before???).  I have a lot of his plugins, but only ever really use CBV.  The other extensions work except for that SFV one.  Is it a mis-name in his programme?  Maybe to do with the Poser conflict?  WHAT IS THE SHORTCUT FOR Change Bone VIsibility... is it the same at the Set Figure Visibility one in my screenshot of the Assembly Room list?

Also... I never had trouble with it working for me in Genesis, Genesis 2 or even Misty's Genesis Carrara 3!  This only happened after I reinstalled Carrara and then freshly installed all the extra extensions either from their original zip files purchased or free, or by transferring them over from the old Extensions folder which I did save. I have tried doing CBV installation both ways.  There was no special installer.

Here are the links to pages still on his site:

http://fenric.com/wordpress/store-2/products/change-bone-visibility/ ; Note the reference to version 1.0, but at downloads page it's 1.2

http://fenric.com/wordpress/downloads/ ;   scroll down to:  

CARRARA 8.5 ONLY

Hides (or un-hides) the wireframe bone display for imported DUF content in Carrara 8.5

UPDATED: Current Version is 1.2 – Mac and Windows: Fixes a command ID conflict with “Pose and Shading Tools 3”.

Any idease?  He still hasn't replied to my email...maybe I will message him now that I have posted.

Fingers crossed.... I loved this utility and am lost without it especially with my vision problems. sad Silene

Screen-1.png
    1345 x 787 - 442K
    Screen-3.png
    673 x 91 - 13K
    Screen-2.png
    288 x 695 - 27K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited March 2018

Oh heck... I need to look at this again.  I had messages with Fenric back in August 2014 about this. Something to do with the Duplicator files in the Extensions folder.  I do have the right 64-bit version of CBV, and the C++ all are fine.  So it's a glitch someplace and will have to run it down. 

CBV was ONLY available on his website, not via DAZ or DIM.

Head down... back later hopefully!  Maybe I have to reinstall his other plugins first, then do the CBV manually?

crying Silene

ETA:  OK, DIM decided to put another Extensions folder on my E Drive alongside DS vs in the Carrara programme folder. For some reason Carrara started looking at that one which had the DIM installed Carrara plugins put into it. May have been because I ticked to install RenderNode and then the Architools for it when not needed. Doh? I should have hand-picked my Carrara re-downloads more carefully.

DIM seems to have a mind of its own even if you choose software plugin installations. Grrrrr. This is sounding a bit familiar now from my last re-install when I got my new computer.  All down to the problem that my C drive has NO room on it for programmes it's so puny.  So all the plugins for Carrara should show up properly once they are all in the same place that Carrara is connected to.  angry

Post edited by SileneUK on