Bryce 7 crashed when trying to save scene w/poser obj import

Is there some difference between normal obj files and those exported by Poser? I just tried to save a scene with a Poser 11 obj import and it crashed. The only thing in the scene was the single obj.

thanks

Mike

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,503

Check the memory usage. When Bryce saves a scene, it is first compressed in memory before written to disk. A bad move on my opinion that came with Bryce 6. The Bryce source file doesn't show how much memory is used by the scene. If you don't have the small free Process Monitor that shows the memory usage of one program (i.e. Bryce), check with the Task manager and do the calculation.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

One thing to remember with using either Poser or DS as a plug in for Bryce is the textures.  Nowadays vendors are making large textures, sometimes 4k x 4k textures.  They may be saved as JPG which is a compressed format, but when imported into Bryce they are converted back to the kb size they would have been if saved as a BMP or TIFF. SO it could very easily be the textures that are crashing Bryce, because, unfortunately, Bryce is still 32 bit and can't cope with ginormous texture file sizes.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,884

Yep textures are apparently very large.

I remember there was a discussion in the forum somewhere about what to do to make them smaller, but cannot find it anymore. Can anybody point me to this thread?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I just resize them in photoshop

• Four questions:

1. Which version of Bryce?

2. What's the Total memory used while the scene is open with the Poser OBJ fully loaded?

3. Did you import the model with Textures in place?

4. Has this happened more than once? It's possible there was some sort of a unique error with that particular close and save attempt.

My suggestion is similar to the other users in that textures could be a problem. For me it isn't so much the resolution on the textures, just the sheer number of them that can add up. 9 times out of 10 too many maps are loaded when importing Poser and Daz characters with textures included. My first suggestion is to import the model with no textures. Add textures as needed for each material zone of the skin and clothing individually. This also allows you to keep track of the memory usage.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 399

Like Chohole I resize the high res 400X4000 to 1024X1024 and smaller res to 512X512. I also add an alpha channel in Photoshop for the bump or secular maps for the alpha channel and save out as a PNG which  will load the alpha in the second picture library window. Which cuts down the amount of memory the tex maps use in Bryce.