a problam

i try to load some v4 clothes and not all the texture upload.

i can't find them even when i know the path to the files.

carrara will show no items when i chose the directory in the content tab.

in dazstudio the texture won't upload but i can choose them as i see the materials.

if i could export v4 from studio and to the morphs in carrara that might help.

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716

Hi,

I think if you save the "scene" in DS (DAZ Studio), then import it into Carrara, you should get both the materials and the morphs like they were in DS.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Also, MAT (material applicating pose files) are located in the "Pose" category for Generation 4 (M4, K4, V4, etc.,) and earlier and most Poser stuff.

So load the clothing onto V4 as normal, then with the clothing selected, do to the Pose part of the library and find the product's name in there. Note that it used to be the norm to have those sort of folders begin with "MAT_" and V4's are under "Daz's Victoria 4" for example. So that's where DIM or the downloaded zip file can help to know wich folder under Poses to find.

• i got the clothes and 2  texture products for them.

i tried two ways:

1. content\poses;

you get the poses for the clothes but nothing in the "MAT" or "_MAT" part of the directory.

the name of the texture product isn't in the poses directory at all.

2. smart content\products and then by name;

the clothes product is there with models and poses but no materials items.

the name of the texture product is in the "by name" directory but no item are there when you click it.

i don't want a forzen scene but something i can morph shader pose and animate.

so far exporting from studio in ".dae" gives something static that can be broken by small modifications.

Personally, for pre-genesis products, I prefer (and so does Carrara) the Poser formats, which don't use the "Content" directory, but a Runtime folder.

If you'd like to try it, here's a quick method you could do for a test:

Go to the product(s) in your Daz (or other) account and manually download the Poser format files. For Generation 4 and earlier, these will likely be the standard download. The Daz Studio formats would likely have "CF" at the end of the title. You can ignore those in this test.

1. Create a new folder somewhere on your machine and give it a good name. For my V4 stuff I use a folder named: "V4"
    2. Open each of the product zip files you've downloaded and keep opening them until you find a folder called "Runtime" 
    3. Drag (unzip) the "Runtime" folder into your new folder, created in step 1
    4. Repeat for each product

Now open Carrara and:

1. Open a scene - any scene
    2. Open the Carrara Browser window
    3. With the Browser open, go to the little page-shaped icon in the upper margin of the far right side of the browser (File/Folder menu)
    4. Click that icon and choose "Add Runtime"
    5. Navigate to the new folder created in the earlier steps, select it and hit Ok
    6. In the following dialog, choose Runtime

You've just created a Poser Runtime and added it to your Content Browser. Click on that and you'll see most of the same categories you would see in Poser's library, like Figures, Faces, Hands, Pose, Props, etc.,    What you won't see are the things that are really very software specific to Poser and won't work as expected in Carrara, like Lights and Materials. Some Poser format products use material files called MC5 (older) or MC6, which are not Carrara compatible and are found in the hidden Materials tab. There's a free plugin which can convert those to Pose files to be dropped into a folder within the Pose directory of the Runtime structure - but let's not worry about that for now, since most clothing and other character-related products aren't done that way - or aren't ONLY done that way, in that they almost always include a file for loading materials within the Pose tab.

edited January 2018

2. smart content\products and then by name;

the clothes product is there with models and poses but no materials items.

the name of the texture product is in the "by name" directory but no item are there when you click it.

i don't want a forzen scene but something i can morph shader pose and animate.

so far exporting from studio in ".dae" gives something static that can be broken by small modifications.

EDIT Smart Content doesn't work for Generation 4 or ealier, that I'm aware of. It was introduced with Genesis.

I was incorrect. Sorry about that! ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Actually, Smart Content works great on virtually all the generation 3 and 4 stuff I have.  Definitely works on all the main characters.  Nine times out of ten, I go to the Smart Content tab first for everything.  The only exception is 3rd party content that has no metadata.

I should add, I let DIM do all the installation of DAZ content.

My guess is that those (like myself) who got used to Smart Content in DS, continue to use it in Carrara.  Those who came into Carrara via the older Poser route tend to use the Runtime folders.

For me, Smart Content is one of the most under-appreciated newer features in Carrara.

For me, Smart Content is one of the most under-appreciated newer features in Carrara.

In my case, you're right. I totally under-appreciate it. I should really try it more - I'd know more about it.

I knew Daz3d was adding metadata to products but I didn't know they went back before Genesis.

Daz Studio has tools for adding the proper metadata to custom content too, I think. So one could (if they wanted) add Smart metadata to their other non-Daz content if ambitious enough.

I should add, I let DIM do all the installation of DAZ content.

Me too. I love DIM!!!

My guess is that those (like myself) who got used to Smart Content in DS, continue to use it in Carrara.  Those who came into Carrara via the older Poser route tend to use the Runtime folders.

You guessed my situation on the head. 

I came from Poser and earlier Daz Studio (which I had installed to play with but never really used) into Carrara early in my game for this stuff.

I actually like the runtime structure because of how it lets me create a nice organizational structure. I was overjoyed to learn that DIM allows us to install our content in that manner. So I do. I have my many runtime folders, as I always had before, and use the default My Daz3d Library for installing all of my DUF-only stuff.

Seeing it put the way you did, I now wonder why I haven't tried making my own structure system like that for DUF stuff as well. I guess it was from when Genesis was brand new, and it was going through changes as they made Carrara compatible with it. Back then, if we didn't uninstall certain things before installing the new, we'd get errors in Carrara.

So I just decided to keep all DUF stuff in the same library so that content can always access what it might require to work.

• in DIM cilicking an "i" icon get you a internet page on the product.

in those pages only one of the three products, a texture one, has viable file list link:

in that link page you get two sections;

Ps with ".mc6" & a Ds with ".ds" files.

which poser and studio formats are compatiable to carrara?

edited January 2018

Wow. They used mc6?

Instead, in DIM find the product in the Installed tab. Right-click > Show Installed Files

Look for the Textures folder installations.

EddyMI was kind (and brilliant) enough to give us a free mc5/mc6-to-pz2 convertor utility - PZ2 are the Poser pose file format. Once converted we'd need to create a folder in the Runtime > Libraries > Pose directory and drop the files in there. Well, that's for a double-click apply solution from the Daz library.

I only work in Carrara as far as figures go, so I just build them myself from finding the textures in the Textures folder: Runtime > Textures > (wherever the artist puts them - DIM knows) and then save them to my Carrara browser. Neither Poser nor DS material applying formats can fully store Carrara compatibility entirely.

edited January 2018

Quite often, when something comes with mc5 or mc6 files without coming with pz2 files for applying materials, they don't actually include textures - just procedural colors and settings. In those cases we can just build own own shaders within Carrara.

Sorry your having a hard time. It's hard trying to help when we can't see what's going on.

EDIT: Ooops, forgot to add the link to  mc5/mc6-to-pz2 convertor utility   (above)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

In DIM,. if you select the installed product,. then right click,. you can select "Show installed files"  this will show you Where your files are located, then it should be easier to locate them from the browser.

For importing to Carrara from DS,. ...Why? .. you can load the figures, clothes, hair, add shaders, and poses all from inside Carrara.

if you want to work in carrara,. it makes sense to work in carrara rather than load figures into DS then import that DS file into carrara.

Carrara doesn't support poser MC6 material files,. but there is a little file converter program available which can change those MC6 Files into PZ2, which carrara can read.

Hope it helps

3DAGE said:

For importing to Carrara from DS,. ...Why? .. you can load the figures, clothes, hair, add shaders, and poses all from inside Carrara.

if you want to work in carrara,. it makes sense to work in carrara rather than load figures into DS then import that DS file into carrara.

That's the way I've always felt - but I work in Carrara, not the others, so it just makes sense! ;)   The only time I'd use DS as a plugin (for preparing files to work) is if I need to in order to get something to work. Otherwise I do everything directly in Carrara.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    3DAGE said:

That's the way I've always felt - but I work in Carrara, not the others, so it just makes sense! ;)   The only time I'd use DS as a plugin (for preparing files to work) is if I need to in order to get something to work. Otherwise I do everything directly in Carrara.

Yes, some things just won't work properly when loaded directly in Carrara, and there are a lot of things for genesis that never got updated to duf, and now Carrara doesn'r read (see) the old dsf files, which means you either load what you want in DS, and save it as a scene or scene asset in DS, or you go through and resave the assets as a newer duf so that Carrara and see them.

Absolutely. I just recently got Andromeda's Legend for Genesis. While the clothing itself loads into Carrara just fine, the poses are all still in .dsf format, so we cannot even see them in the libraray in Carrara. I wonder if there's a ,dsf to ,duf batch convertor? I started trying to just do them manually by hand and said to myself: screw this! I can make my own stinking poses!!! LOL

I really wish I has a better time crossing over to Genesis. I keep trying. Even spending weeks or months on the side to get stuff looking really nice, only to find that there's a lot more wrong with using Generation 4 MoCaps that just the feet!  I've invested quite a bit in those MoCaps so I'm (for now) just going back to good ol' Generation 4. But it makes me sad. Genesis 2 is so much more realistic looking. 

I have new Dart and Rosie characters for Genesis 1, using the same shaders as my Generation 4 couterparts, and both generations using Arki's EYEdeas 3+ eyes, so they look pretty close to each other. Enough so where I can use them both for certain situations, which is pretty magical. My Genesis 2 version of Rosie is getting there. I seem to have a much easier time auto-fitting things to Genesis 1 than 2 though.