dforceable necklaces

I would really love some necklaces which hang properly around the neck swing properly and don’t stuck to the chest.

Comments

• My attempts to make things solid in dForce have not ended well.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602
    edited January 2018

Yeah. I really would love some free swinging dog tags. I parent them to a null but they are unwieldy to move. Would be nice to have jewelry not cling to the chest

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

I would like this as well. One of the big things I miss with poser were dynamic necklaces. I have tried them with the two dynamic options for DS and they always fell apart.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,492
    edited January 2018

A chain-and-pendant type necklace wouldn't work too well with dForce in its current form, but it shouldn't be too hard to make something like these.

Edit: Just did a quick proof-of-concept.

1. Create primitive torus of appropriate size with lots of sides. Position appropriately.

2. Add dForce modifier. Turn self-collision OFF.

3. Simulate.

Results are attached.

simplenecklace.png
    629 x 874 - 658K
    Post edited by murgatroyd314 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,861
    edited September 2018

Mada must have heard you! Have you seen the dForce Necklace Merchant Resource? It has great potential. There are lots of options with it. There are multiple pendant choices, two necklace lengths, and several morphs to change the thickness and shape of the "beads" that make up the necklace. I bet you could parent dog tags to the rigid follow node, instead of one of the included pendants, and have your free swinging dog tags. (I haven't tried parenting anything other than the included pendants, so I don't really know if that would be successful. I also haven't tried it on G8M yet. I wonder if that would work?)

So far, I'm having some trouble with it, though. The biggest problem may be a Daz Studio bug; I'm not sure. I've submitted help requests, but it hasn't been long enough to get any feedback on them yet. The most frustrating issue is that after simulation, it looks good, but as soon as the render starts, the rigid follow node holding the pendant suddenly rotates and forces the pendant into the model's chest. I even spotted a Latonya product promo showing the same issue today. Look at the third promo image of dForce Panthera Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) to see an example of what I mean. There are morph controls to adjust the pendant, but when the viewport doesn't represent what will be rendered, it makes it very difficult to position that pendant. I have to render - adjust - render - adjust - render...until it renders OK. I think the problem has something to do with smoothing modifier.

Post edited by barbult on
  • Thanks for the headsup... nice work Mada.

• If only there was a way to use this and make a lei out of it...

• How does one set the self-collision off?

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

How does one set the self-collision off?

Check the surfaces tab, scroll all the way down

• Thanks! I seem to have a very specific kind of difficulty there... I have a lei made of flowers through which a string goes. I'd want to submit this to gravity so that the flowers don't crumble and the string doesn't fall apart but I can't seem to get it right. The object has severl "petal" materials for tje flowers and one "string" material.

Any suggestions on how I could go about? X_x

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892
    edited September 2018
    barbult said:

Mada must have heard you! Have you seen the dForce Necklace Merchant Resource? It has great potential. There are lots of options with it. There are multiple pendant choices, two necklace lengths, and several morphs to change the thickness and shape of the "beads" that make up the necklace. I bet you could parent dog tags to the rigid follow node, instead of one of the included pendants, and have your free swinging dog tags. (I haven't tried parenting anything other than the included pendants, so I don't really know if that would be successful. I also haven't tried it on G8M yet. I wonder if that would work?)

Yes it should be easy to add any of your own pendants to the rigid follow node - import the obj or load the prop/figure, position it as close as possible in the right position while the figure is in a default pose and then drag and drop the item onto the node :)

barbult said:

So far, I'm having some trouble with it, though. The biggest problem may be a Daz Studio bug; I'm not sure. I've submitted help requests, but it hasn't been long enough to get any feedback on them yet. The most frustrating issue is that after simulation, it looks good, but as soon as the render starts, the rigid follow node holding the pendant suddenly rotates and forces the pendant into the model's chest. I even spotted a Latonya product promo showing the same issue today. Look at the third promo image of dForce Panthera Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) to see an example of what I mean. There are morph controls to adjust the pendant, but when the viewport doesn't represent what will be rendered, it makes it very difficult to position that pendant. I have to render - adjust - render - adjust - render...until it renders OK. I think the problem has something to do with smoothing modifier.

Yes you do have to sometimes adjust the pendant after the simulation finishes - too many factors impact the sim to get it perfect, subD level as well as smoothing. You should be able to just click on the pendant and use the translate and rotate dials to adjust easy, no need to play around with morphs. I did notice once that the viewport in the latest DS didn't reflect the right position but can't get it to duplicate again ... quick workaround was to use the spot render tool to render just the pendant to get the right position :)

Post edited by Mada on
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068
    edited April 2019
    A chain collar would look cool.
    Post edited by Seven193 on
  • Using this product, is it possible to take some flowers, stick it onto a necklace and then have the necklace dforce properly around a character's neck withouth deforming the flowers?

I was trying to figure out if there was a way using rigid follow nodes - the problem would be that the flowers will stick into the figure, and positioning them so they face away from the figure on a lei wouldn't look right. 

edited September 2018

Maybe if you make a morph so that the string is very wide and sitting outside the flowers - drape it and then reduce the string to normal size... no time to try this at the moment but it could be a work around if someone else have the time to try :)

Post edited by Mada on
  • DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515
    edited September 2018

Yeah, i wouldn't mind one.  I did try with some success using a tube with a bump map, but couldn't get the rigid follow to work in the end.

I placed one of AllenArts freebies as a pendant here...

dfnecklace.jpg
    590 x 560 - 58K
    Post edited by DigiDotz on
  • AsariAsari Posts: 703
    barbult said:

I'm currently eyeing this product however I was wondering how it will work with G8M? Does someone have this product and knows whether it will work with G8Ms as well? I'm not sure if the follow node might be distorted using auto fit.