Out of memory prompt and other errors using Mac and 10.6. Help please.

vindazivindazi Posts: 667
edited May 2013 in Bryce Discussion

I am recently getting an out of memory prompts when importing .obj files created in Daz 4.5.

I am using Bryce 7.1 on a Mac running 10.6.8 on and intel duocore 2 with 4 gigs of ram. I don't usually get his prompt but am getting it today. tried rebooting but still the same problem.

Solutions?

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2013

I usually only get that message on import if there are too many jpg based textures to import with the obj. You have to remember that Bryce uncompresses them to the equivalent kb size of a Tiff image, so it is easy to run out of memory if there are too many., especially if it is a complicated model you are trying to import which is high poly as well.

• vindazivindazi Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

How can I tell if that is the problem? 4 gigs of ram seems like plenty. Even with something like Moon Gate http://www.daz3d.com/moon-gate. Would that be too big?

edited May 2013

I imported that one straight as it stood complete with textures, so it should work. Mind you I have a PC not a Mac.

You could try importing it without the textures, as an untextured group, see oif that will import. If it does then you will know it is something to do with the textures. I know Macs do have that nasty bug with textures importing with a blue tint.

edited December 1969

I have tried it a few times and it keeps giving me errors. It will sometimes complete but then parts of the object is missing and it doesn't want to save the file.

edited May 2013

We really need a Mac person here, because I imported the set as an obj with no problems. Mind you I also exported the obj from Poser not DS, but I wouldn't have thought that would make any difference.

Have you tried sending it to Bryce over the bridge, see if it works that way?

edited December 1969

I have done this process a few times with few problems in the past. But today it does not want to work at all.

edited May 2013

How do I re install Bryce pro 7.1? The one I have must be corrupted. Almost anything I try gives me a memory error. I get this error message.

BR7_Error_message.jpg
    445 x 226 - 45K
    Post edited by vindazi on
    edited December 1969

I have edited your thread title, in the hope that someone more knowledgeable about Macs will pull in.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Not too sure if I can help ( I also use 10.6.8, B7.1.0.109 and D|S 4.5) but there's a couple of things I can think of...

Bryce used to be limited to 2 GB - not sure if that's still the case since it was ported to native Intel code.

The Out of Memory" is often really a "An unexpected error as occurred" error, especially when it involves imports. See if the .OBJ will reimport into D|S or some other 3D app and if it works, re-export. I agree with Chohole that you should try the "Send to Bryce" command from D|S.

But judging from your latter posts, are you running your Mac as Administrator? Bryce has to be installed and run with Administer Privileges.

Or it's remotely possible that the Permissions are hosed and need to be fixed with Utilities> Disk Utilities "Repair Permissions".

I'd backup your Bryce presets, trash the whole Bryce7.1 folder, re-download from your Account page and re-install making sure you have Administer Privileges.

HTH;
    Dan