bryce vs carrara?

does bryce has any adventages over carrara?

in makeing trees terrains or surface replicators?

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2018

Bryce's terrain editor tools are more precise than Carrara's.  See the canyon tutorials in this list, for example.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/613285/#Comment_613285

Post edited by Diomede on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Bryce was designed as a dedicated 3D Landscape and environment generator.

Carrara is a 3D suite,. ...: model, texture, rig, animate, render.

both programs are useful

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Long before I got Carrara, I downloaded the user manuals for it, Bryce, and the current (then) Daz Studio and printed them out on paper.

Of course, the Carrara manual is gigantic. It's a HUGE tome!

Although I've never read the entire Bryce (5 Pro) manual, I've read enough to know it was a cool package, so I got it but have yet to play with it. One of these years I'm gonna get down with that suite. David Brinnen has a massive amount of free video (and written, I think) tutorials on doing all manner of things, and he and the Bryce community always seem to be very friendly to newcomers looking for answers.

I also bought a few of the Master Series products for Bryce - looking forward to the day I'd give it a try.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited January 2018

There are a couple of ways of bringing Bryce terrains into Carrara, they can greatly add to the landscape work that can be done in Carrara.

Bryce Terrains.png
    3840 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Bunyip02 is absolutely correct, as usual.

Here is the late Cripeman explaining how to bring a Bryce terrain and maps to Carrara.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

i bought lots of stuff for bryce but it renders a little slow for my taste - great renders always in the Bryce forum tho

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

I was a big Bryce fan back in the day, especially starting with Bryce 3 which allowed animation.  The book "Real World Bryce" by Kitchens and Gavenda was one of the best software books I had, with real, usable tips that were found nowhere else.  E.g. how to put a camera on a jointed crane sort of like a trebuchet - pretty cool animation with that.  For high end environments I have since switched to Vue, which can do amazing landscapes (now if they'd just get their website back up ... )  But I have to say Carrara is the workhorse, capable of doing everything needed for short animations, even impressive landscapes.