3D Paint question

SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi
Is it possible to use 3D paint for creating textures other than Color, Alpha, Specular etc ? I noticed Carrara has a section for misc under textures in 3DPaint however it's the only one with no options for creating or opening new textures.

any help would be appreciated
thanks

Comments

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited May 2013

Hi
    Is it possible to use 3D paint for creating textures other than Color, Alpha, Specular etc ? I noticed Carrara has a section for misc under textures in 3DPaint however it's the only one with no options for creating or opening new textures.

thanks

Cararra applied 2D IMAGES as the Color, alpha, speculate, bump etc maps. These are referenced in your runtimes. So basically what I am saying is use an app like photoshop or some other image editor to create or edit these images. 3d painting is the appearance of painting in 3d on your model however in fact its really a projection onto the surface of your model. 3d painting tools are really painting on a 2D PROJECTION of your models mesh surface flattened out by the UV layout.
    Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Yeah... and there's also Displacement Map Painting in the model room, I think?

Often times, people like to use the 3d painting to get the proper seam alignment for what they want to do - and then export that map to be used as a guide, or painted over, in an image editor, as Dream Cutter mentions.

Once you've made an image map, you can use it for multiple reasons.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi

thanks

That would be brushes.

tool/shape/image uncheck mask, import png;

Untitled_1.jpg
    251 x 600 - 38K
  • RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Hi

thanks

To see any textures in the 'miscellaneous' section, you need to have them in the shader to start with.
    You can then edit, save and export them as normal but you can't load a new one except, again, through the shader room.
    You will also not be able to see which shader channel it is in, unless you name the texture file appropriately.

For me, the miscellaneous section is of limited use, after all how can you see what effect it's having in the transparency channel anyway. I find it better to load the texture into the colour channel, paint on that and then put it back into it's own channel.

Small tip: Do your painting in a 'small' scene for better precision.