Getting back into bryce

aliendoughnutaliendoughnut Posts: 40
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

after a year an a half i have just got back into bryce i have kept dipping in and out of the forums to keep up with whats new, there are 2 things i always struggle with, materials and lighting and these are probably the 2 most important things to get the right finished effect. i have modled an iphone in hexagon and would like any comments and advice on trying to find (or Create) a brushed aluminium material for the iphone body and something more realistic and reflective for the front and back white areas and getting the screen to light up in a more realistic manner. Its good to have this community for help and advise...one of the reasons i have made the effort to try to master this programme. This is only a hobby for me and i get a lot of satisfaction from it, I would be interested to know the reasons other people use bryce and what they get out of it. Thanks for any help!!!

Screen-shot-2013-05-23-at-20.01_.jpg
1069 x 670 - 69K

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

after a year an a half i have just got back into bryce i have kept dipping in and out of the forums to keep up with whats new, there are 2 things i always struggle with, materials and lighting and these are probably the 2 most important things to get the right finished effect. i have modled an iphone in hexagon and would like any comments and advice on trying to find (or Create) a brushed aluminium material for the iphone body and something more realistic and reflective for the front and back white areas and getting the screen to light up in a more realistic manner. Its good to have this community for help and advise...one of the reasons i have made the effort to try to master this programme. This is only a hobby for me and i get a lot of satisfaction from it, I would be interested to know the reasons other people use bryce and what they get out of it. Thanks for any help!!!

If the scene is not too big <10 MB. And you want to. You could post me this and I would make you a video (using this scene) on how to go about modifying the materials and the lighting to be a bit more realistic.</p>

[email protected]

If you also supplied a photo of how you would like this to look, then I would have a specific look to aim for. Entirely up to you. It's just that typing for me is slow and video is - well... as long as a video takes to record, edit and upload. Quicker for me than composing a lot of words.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

For quick and easy colour material I usually dip into the Metals preset mat library, where the top option is Automotive.
    They usually give good results without having to make alteration in the mat lab and the Snow White (bottom row third one along), will give at least a good starting point for you.

For the brushed aluminium, again in the Metals preset library, if you go to Common and use Worn Metal as a starting point, you can then alter the bump in the Mat Lab and maybe stretch and rotate the bump texture using the Transformation Tools controls.

• aliendoughnutaliendoughnut Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Thanks David I have forwarded the file to you and looking forward to your video :-) and thanks for the tips "thesavage64" I did start off with the automotive from the preset library , the finish of the white parts on the phone are almost glasslike I did originally try to use glass and a white behind it but i couldn't get the right effect :-(, I may give the brushed aluminium a try but im a bit of a newbe around the Mat lab

edited December 1969

Thanks David I have forwarded the file to you and looking forward to your video :-) and thanks for the tips "thesavage64" I did start off with the automotive from the preset library , the finish of the white parts on the phone are almost glasslike I did originally try to use glass and a white behind it but i couldn't get the right effect :-(, I may give the brushed aluminium a try but im a bit of a newbe around the Mat lab

Not seen the file yet... Try again.

edited December 1969

Not seen the file yet... Try again.

Sent again to [email protected] sent under my real name not aliendoughnut

PM me if you still havn't received it

edited December 1969

Here the video to go with the image and the scene I've sent back.

http://youtu.be/GYJOf-VdAo8

iphone_4s_final_model2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 273K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,368
    edited December 1969

Interesting video - thanks David

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Nice results David.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that David, interesting to see how changing the lighting can have a dramatic effect on the appearance of the materials, its all a bit above my head especially the IBL but after watching the video a few times i can see what you are achieving and how you do it. very useful video for me and hopefully other bryce users. Thanks again!!