Skydome: Orbital station

Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,587
edited January 2018 in Product Suggestions

Hi,

It would be nice if there were skydomes for orbital stations.

Post edited by Noah LGP on

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Is that top one a Stanford Torus (large economy size)? Don't see that design much these days.

• Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501
    NoahLGP said:

Hi,

It would be nice if there were skydomes for orbital stations.

I agree, but I think the odds are pretty slim. Some months back I started this thread: ahttps://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/163236/more-believable-hard-sci-fi-content-please-a-rather-lengthy-request/p1

It generated a lot of discussion, but that was about all.

Is that top one a Stanford Torus (large economy size)? Don't see that design much these days.

Yeh, it's been ages since one flew over our house. wink It looks like a Stanford Torus, or some variant thereof.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited January 2018

While this is not a skydome, consider constructing the actual thing by repurposing other products you own.  I was actually considering trying that recently, but didn't feel I quite had the time to do it.  

One method would be to find some object that's already in that shape; a wheel or other round object of course, and either making the inner rim a different surface that you can use a glass shader on.

A second method would be to use one of the many corridor/room construction sets (using the same technique above to make half of it glass) to make a single segment, then create dozens or more segments but instead of lining them up in a straight line, angle each one a little more so they form a gradual curve.  There will of course be some imperfect overlap, however hopefully if done right it that could be hidden by extremely narrow "structural support" segments lined up with each joint, or maybe the overlap itself from a distance will look like a structural support.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,587
    edited January 2018

@sriesch Or just I could use these pictures as environment backdrop or side of a skybox. 

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • Of course, in addition to the torus style spacehab-interior skydomes, some spherical-interior spacehab skydomes would be neat to have, too.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

I was inspired by the thread to take a whack at it.

It sucks compared to a lot of those painted works, but hey.

I quickly discovered how hard it is to make a texture solution work. It's ALSO tricky to generate a city via ultrascatter -- to do it right I'd probably have to hand-place loads of buildings, maybe scatter a few trees/parks, etc.

Ended up doing it in 3DL just so I could leverage displacement (since I wasn't going to do all that other work).

Stanford Torus.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 723K