Forest Mountain Flypast

uglybuguglybug Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

An experiment with Bryce (plus a tiny bit of PP in Gimp), to see If I could create a realistic looking, forest covered, mountain range.
I included the glider to make the render more interesting.

I admit that the trees don't bear looking at to close, and I forgot to add tail-wings to the glider , but I think it's not too bad.

As this is something I am testing, I would really like it if you could put your thoughts and some feedback as comments.

Thanks very much.

Forest_Mountains_PP.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 2M

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited May 2013

Love your color combination- the plane really stands out! :) One question though (and I am a newbie, so take what I say with that in mind, lol) Where is your light source supposed to be? The light on the plane appears to be from overhead/to the rear, but I don't get that feeling with the white section which is in the hills in the far distance in front of the plane. EDIT: because the light is STRONGER to the VERY far back, it looks generated from the back TO the front. Then it wouldn't hit the plane the way it is, I don't think)

It almost seems the light is streaming down a "gulley" section between the rising mountains but the light on the plane is coming from somewhere else? In other words, the light source seems too low (in the background) to put that kind of light on the plane from the TOP. (It's probably just me though.)

Where are your lights located?

Post edited by Novica on
  • uglybuguglybug Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Where are your lights located?

Good question.

I think the problem with it is that I lit using only IBL, and no direct lighting.

edited May 2013

Did you check on the light?
    I'd love to see this with light coming from one side or the other, preferably the left- with the distant hills in a darker shadow. Like they were flying into something, or dusk. With the vibrant color of the plane and the nice contrasting color of the hills, you could get a nice dramatic scene going here. :)
    Cathie

Post edited by Novica on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I see it as properly done. I think the FOG in the pass that is catching the light is getting you a bit off Novica. It looks very well done for the total scene to me. Did you Click and enlarge to full size and look?

And that said, Very nice image looking forward to more.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I see it as properly done. I think the FOG in the pass that is catching the light is getting you a bit off Novica. It looks very well done for the total scene to me. Did you Click and enlarge to full size and look?

And that said, Very nice image looking forward to more.

Yeah, but the fog was so much brighter in the back, and the top of the plane was fully lit up near the front of the scene, from the top? That's why I was curious as to where the lights were (so I could learn) :) I really like the composition too!

edited December 1969

But question- as I haven't used fog- would shooting light from the front toward fog produce this lighting/effect?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

Its not from the front it's from above and forward just a bit, look at the wing shadow to see the direction, the DEPTH or thickness of the fog causes the Light effect as it is passing into the fog and Diffusing (spreading). IBL lighting will do that to a volume. The fog in the distance seems brighter because of the angle and the light we see in the volume of fog we see from this angle.

Post edited by Jaderail on