Push modifier for Genesis clothing??

DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've looked and looked, but I don't see a push modifier for Genesis clothing in C8.5. This is a great tool in DS that improves the fit of clothing in a few problem morph areas on Genesis clothing when vendors don't include adjustment morphs.

Another related setting that I haven't found in C8.5 that can be very useful for getting clothing to fit is the iterations modifier. This enables the user to increase the number of calculation iterations used to adjust the clothing to Genesis. This will typically solve problems without using "Push".

Hopefully I'm just being dense, and these tools are available in C8.5 - Thanks!

Comments

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Modeling in the assembly room. Doing it can be a bit complex for me especially on genesis fit to clothes; which I'm not even sure you can do this with, but you can just tug some pollies that way. I'd give you a link to 3DAGE's explanation on how to do this, but I can't find it :red:

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Dustrider :)

Carrara modeller has a Magnet tool,.(A) which is like an area pull or push force,.
    there are scale and strength options on the right hand panels, and a couple of different shape options,.

If you have a part of the model selected,. then the magnet will effect that, irrespective of where you click and drag the tool.
    if you have nothing selected,. the the magnet effects the area of mesh where you''re clicking and dragging.

Hold Shift, or Ctrl to lock the mouse motion to horizontal / vertical

As for adjusting clothing , for poke-through,.. Carrara can make morphs, or edit an existing morph.
    so if you really need to adjust the clothing, you can either edit an existing morph,. use the magnet tool, or use Soft selection and the move tools, or even select and Scale an area of the model.

You can also use the "animation mode" (the middle blue icon at the top of the right hand panels)
    this puts the vertex model,. or selected figure,. into it's current pose from the time-line,. so you can see where it's poking through, and adjust as needed.

For the iterations:
    Try the Smooth level sliders,. which are now in the assembly room when you select the model.
    you can adjust only the "rendering" level slider if you want to save on working memory.
    as these sliders will subdivide the model in memory, ..or only at render time.

Adding more levels of subdivision should smooth out the models edges and also help with minor poke-through

Hope it helps :)

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys for the suggestions - at least I wasn't missing the obvious (just had a tooth extracted and not to sure about my general ability to "see" things). I've always manually modified the mesh in the past just using vertex soft selection, but will have to give the magnets a try.

I tried increasing smoothing, but it actually made the poke through worse. I hear you 3dage on being careful with it, in my pain killer induced stupor, I bumped it up to 5, and immediately thought "now that was stupid". After about 20 minutes of solid hard drive activity and complete loss of system use, I got control of the PC again and put it back to zero (had already used 1 and 2, and poke through just got worse).

If DAZ could/would add the push modifier like DS has, it would make fixing small issues MUCH faster and easier. I can fix the problem in a few seconds in DS by adding the push modifier, and setting the value to about 0.075. You do have to be very careful when using it though, because you can easily get the clothing too large and floating on top/around of the model.

Thanks again for your help!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited May 2013

Okay, now what do we do about this topology protection thing?
    I can edit away (but I haven't tried it for a few builds) only to find that it no longer fits to the figure. Do you leave the setting as it is and add the magnets? Perform nudges?
    I'll have to play again.

Edit:
    Thanks for bringing this up DR, I've been meaning to ask.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Hi Dart :)

The protection warning is just that,. ..a Warning,..you can ignore warnings if you want,. and it should allow you to use the magnet tool to pull the vertices and adjust for poke-through.

In the first pic, I've got the standard genesis figure with the Elven warrior tunic,. and you can see some minor poke in the openGL preview,. NOTE: this pokethrough disappears when you render, because of the sub division smoothing.

you can also see the other side has been adjusted using the magnet tool,. and I pulled a big section out, just to show that despite the "protection" warning,. that it will change the geometry in the scene.

Dustrider,. Try applying smooth to the figure, that should make it less likely to poke through,.

The second pic is an example of the Magnet tool in action, (note: no vertices selected) just click and pull, or push where you need it.

not that I've adjusted the large pulled out section on the chest, back to a relatively normal position, using the magnet tool.

magnet_tool.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 277K
    mesh_pulled.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 202K
    edited December 1969

Final pic to show that the outfit still follows, and fit's to the figure,

magnet_tool2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 211K