Animation to move the center of the punch modifier

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I want to make an animation that moves the center of the punch modifier in CARRARA6.2Pro but, is this possible?:ohh:

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

QOOV said:
    I want to make an animation that moves the center of the punch modifier in CARRARA6.2Pro but, is this possible?:ohh:

I don't think it is possible (?) the modifier seems to not have that control... It is not the hotpoint... I guess it just uses the center of the object?

I think you will need to use a magnet instead.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI QOOV

The punch modifier doesn't have a centre,. or any way to select it, or move it,. it's a modifier, applied to an object, with options for strength radius and direction of the modifier. but it's part of the object it's applied to, and it can't be moved independently.

Depending on what effect you want to achieve by moving the modifier,.
    it should be possible to achieve what you want in another way, using Carrara.

For example,. you could create a morph target in your model,. use "soft selection" and the move tools in the vertex modeller,
    to create the final deformed shape that you want,.
    then you can animate that morph effect using the slider control which the morph creates.
    ....but that still won't allow you to Move the position of it.

You could use a Magnet, or several. which would allow you to create a similar deformation to the Punch modifier,. but will give you the ability to move / animate the position of the magnets.

depending on what the surface is made of,. the effect of a moving a depressing effect will create different results,

for example,. a finger, brushing over , or pushing into skin will create a small depressed effect, which returns to it's previous state quite quickly.

while a forklift, impacting with a small car,. would create hard edged long deep scrapes which would remain after the event.

so, depending on what you want to do,... how you get there,..and the tools you use,. can be different

you could combine all three options of Punch Modifier,. creating a Morph target, and using Magnets,.. to create a more interesting effect.

Hope it helps :)

• edited December 1969

Hi holly wetcircuit, 3DAGE

I used the magnet tool.
    Thank you so much!!!!!!