Will 'updates' show up in My Downloads?

Robert952Robert952 Posts: 141
edited December 1969 in The Commons

This may be one of the things that's to be worked on.

In the past, when an update of a model we bought was available, it might show up in the download area (not all the time IIRC, but at least some times). It was at the bottom of the listing usually (unless it was truly a new installer, then it showed up in the upper portion).

Will we be seeing updates in the downloadable area? Or (with out trying to sound too negative), is this a feature we lost in the transition?

(If I installed something and have an issue, I generally reset the download. But it was nice when an alert to an update was available - and even better when it showed up in my list of downloads).

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,316
    edited December 1969

As with the old system, only if there's a reset (in which case you will usually be sent an email about the update as well).

• Robert952Robert952 Posts: 141
    edited December 1969

Thanks...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

It was never a "feature" of the old system, it was done manually, and as you know it wasn't always done. That's one of the things the new (optional) Install Manager is supposed to address -- you can have it check if any content has been updated, and download and install the specific files that are updated.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

It was never a "feature" of the old system, it was done manually, and as you know it wasn't always done. That's one of the things the new (optional) Install Manager is supposed to address -- you can have it check if any content has been updated, and download and install the specific files that are updated.

Where is the new Install Manager? I missed something...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:

Where is the new Install Manager? I missed something...

Not available yet, but some of the PAs got to try it out and say it's awesome.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I don't know if they were updates or goofates but a few of my downloads; which start at 4, download 1, become 3 ... next day were showing 5.

A couple of purchases of NEW products were/are supposed to be updated ... have no idea if they were or not ... one seemed to mess up the content display in the content manager and I'm not pleased 'bout that at all. I'm hoping it'll all come back right after the computer reboots. I do wonder how/why they passed inspection if they need updating already.

But then I wonder why anybody would even want to try digging through 2 stories of bedrock.

• adegneradegner Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Now that is a problem. DS4 complains about getting over 10 things installed. So the content manager will not have everything that was ever purchased. some Items are not install in studio, so the content manager has no clue of what needs to be updated. Database management is not rocket science but for this group of web coders it must be. Website broken, nothing works right. time to get your act together

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,316
    edited December 1969

a) DS does not complain about having ten things installed - it does warn that having more than ten active content directories may slow content loading, as it has more paths to check, but that can safely be ignored and in fact is rarely an issue.

b) The Content Manager is not DS. It's not clear whether it will be linked to the CMS that comes with DS and Carrara, but since the zips apparently come with a manifest.dsx fiel that lists their content I would suspect it going to be independent (and will not apply only to Studio and Carrara content).

c) from what has been said, the Install Manager wil optionally check for updates to content it did install - that may well be a useful function for many users, even if it won't (presumably) track content from other stores or freebies.

d) The web and application teams are not the same, so whatever reservations you have about the latter are not likely to have a direct bearing on the former's efforts with the Install Manager.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard, I'll give c) a try.