Finding a hairstyle

adamflame1990adamflame1990 Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in Product Suggestions

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me out in tracking down a hairstyle?

https://www.daz3d.com/piercing-essentials-for-genesis-2-female-s 

The hairstyle in this promo image of the pinkish highlights and half shaved head.

Thank you very much 

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    edited January 2018

My guess would be Pure Hair: Punk

It comes with the hair falling down the left hand side of the face, but you seem to be able to get it to go the other way (as shown in that promo) by setting the head bone's X scale to -100%.

Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

adamflame1990   I fixed the link for you,  it was throwing a 404.

• My guess would be Pure Hair: Punk

It comes with the hair falling down the left hand side of the face, but you seem to be able to get it to go the other way (as shown in that promo) by setting the head bone's X scale to -100%.

thanks for helping, can you elaborate more on the head bone scale? 

• FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,923

Anytime you select a bone from your model in the scene tab, you get corresponding information in the parameters tab. Part of that information is the translations (the information that locates the model in your scene on the X, Y, and Z axis), the rotations (the information that tells you how your model is oriented in your scene, also on the X, Y and Z axis. Oftentimes these will be labeled Bend, Side-to-Side, and Twist), and the scales (the information that tells you how big or small your model is in the scene, again on the X, Y, and Z axis.) 

In the case of the hair, you actually don't want the head bone. Locate the hair model in the scene hierarchy tab. Select its "hip" bone and then go to the parameters tab and scroll down until you find the scale information. Locate the "Y Scale" dial and then change it from 100% to -100% and that will reverse the hair model in the scene tab, changing the "left hand fall over the face" to a "right hand fall over the face."

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited February 2018
    FeralFey said:

Anytime you select a bone from your model in the scene tab, you get corresponding information in the parameters tab. Part of that information is the translations (the information that locates the model in your scene on the X, Y, and Z axis), the rotations (the information that tells you how your model is oriented in your scene, also on the X, Y and Z axis. Oftentimes these will be labeled Bend, Side-to-Side, and Twist), and the scales (the information that tells you how big or small your model is in the scene, again on the X, Y, and Z axis.) 

In the case of the hair, you actually don't want the head bone. Locate the hair model in the scene hierarchy tab. Select its "hip" bone and then go to the parameters tab and scroll down until you find the scale information. Locate the "Y Scale" dial and then change it from 100% to -100% and that will reverse the hair model in the scene tab, changing the "left hand fall over the face" to a "right hand fall over the face."

Late to the party on this.  I actually tried your suggestion to change "Y Scale" to -100% but that didn't flip/mirror the hair for me.  Also, if you look closely at that promo image, the words in the corner are backwards.  So apparently the artist simply flipped the final rendered image itself in Photoshop or other image editor.

Any other ideas?  I am struggling to find a hair style that has a shaved or half-bald hair do.  I was even trying to see if there was a way I could do it using opacity map but no luck either.

Thanks

Post edited by Geminii23 on

Hi @Geminii23. Which hair model were you using? Are we still talking about Pure Hair: Punk? If so, I'll dig my copy out and see if I can get it to do the Y scale "flip" and it that's not working, maybe I can find a work around for you. If you're using a different  hair, then let me know and I'll see if I have it and we'll go from there.

FeralFey said:

Hi @Geminii23. Which hair model were you using? Are we still talking about Pure Hair: Punk? If so, I'll dig my copy out and see if I can get it to do the Y scale "flip" and it that's not working, maybe I can find a work around for you. If you're using a different  hair, then let me know and I'll see if I have it and we'll go from there.

Hi.  Yeah I tried Pure Punk.  Can't get it to flip.  I am actually trying to make a Two-Face character.  So having a half-shaved head would work ok for him but I am also trying to figure out if there is a way to hide half of a hair prop using an opacity map or something.  Then maybe have two different hair styles for him.  Can't seem to figure that out either though.

Thanks

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited February 2018

Select the root of the hair (the node that's named PH Punk) and do -100% on the x-axis, not the hip bone. Bone scaling doesn't propagate.

Post edited by agent unawares on

Select the root of the hair (the node that's named PH Punk) and do -100% on the x-axis, not the hip bone. Bone scaling doesn't propagate.

Yup.  That worked.  Thanks!

OK @Geminii23 - I took a quick look at the PH-Punk hair and yes. You are correct. For whatever reason the Y scale flip isn't working. What you need to do instead is use the X scale. Change it from 100% to -100% and it'll flip for you. I haven't checked out to see if it takes posing well yet. But my preliminary experiementations have shown that, at least for this hair, everything we wanted to do on the Y scale needs to be changed to the X scale. (Could be a function of the modeling program that the PA used to build the hair in.) Let me know if you have any further difficulties.

FeralFey said:

OK @Geminii23 - I took a quick look at the PH-Punk hair and yes. You are correct. For whatever reason the Y scale flip isn't working. What you need to do instead is use the X scale. Change it from 100% to -100% and it'll flip for you. I haven't checked out to see if it takes posing well yet. But my preliminary experiementations have shown that, at least for this hair, everything we wanted to do on the Y scale needs to be changed to the X scale. (Could be a function of the modeling program that the PA used to build the hair in.) Let me know if you have any further difficulties.

That worked.  Thanks.  I never knew this was possible to flip/mirror items like this. 

There's actually quite a bit of magic under DS's hood. Unfortunately there's not a complete manual to learn everything that you can do with DazStudio. There's documentation, yes, but it's not always all in the same place, and finding the information you want/need isn't always intuitive. Sometimes I think about sitting down and writing out my own "how to DS" tutorials, but then I think about all the ones that are already out there and I think, "well, who'd want to hear what I have to say, when I'm just going to repeat about 85% of what's already been said?"

The trick is trying to figure out which 15% of the remaining information is actually missing from what's out there. Obviously the Y scaling flip trick (or in this case, X scaling flip trick,) is missing but what else? I'd spend most of my time hunting down that information rather than building products. So, when someone asks a question on how to do something in DS, I'm more than happy to share the information. wink