East Coast HDRI Tutorial Installation

KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Greetings everyone. I've been playing around with Bryce and Daz for a few months now and am finally ready to begin posting to the forums. Something I'm normally not shy about doing.

Anyway, I downloaded the East Coast HDRI tutorials and can't get them to install. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, However no installation instructions were included in the download, only an .exe file and a corresponding zip file.

Any help on getting this tutorial up and running would be appreciated.\

Thanks.

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

kyricus said:
    Greetings everyone. I've been playing around with Bryce and Daz for a few months now and am finally ready to begin posting to the forums. Something I'm normally not shy about doing.

Anyway, I downloaded the East Coast HDRI tutorials and can't get them to install. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, However no installation instructions were included in the download, only an .exe file and a corresponding zip file.

Any help on getting this tutorial up and running would be appreciated.\

Thanks.

First off, I'm going to point you at Horo's excellent document - if you've not seen this, then you certainly should read it because it will make life easier for you in the future.

Bryce Content PDF by Horo

Next up, things have changed somewhat in the last year with respect to product installation and where in the past it was possible to download my own product to see how the installers worked - this is no longer an option that I can find. So it's going to be down to guesswork and fading memory.

Create a new folder and unzip the zip files into that folder and run the exe and when you are directed to a destination send the files to that folder as well. Then have a look within and see what is what.

If memory serves you will have a selection of step by step scenes, a document to explain the steps and then some updates that take the set forwards to Bryce 7.1 Pro level. Along with some vidoes. There might even be materials and objects - which you can relocate following the instructions in Horo's document above.

Is that helpful?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

There are two versions of the East Coast HDRI, the first for Bryce 6 that came out mid 2007 and one for Bryce 7 that came out in mid 2011. Only the file Eastcoast.mat belongs to a specific folder: in the main folder for Bryce you find Presets and under Presets a folder named Materials. It has sub-folders as well. Copy the file into an appropriate sub-folder or create a new one. The scene files, videos and HDRIs can be put wherever you wish, provided you'll find them later on.

• KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

Thanks,

What both of you said makes sense, however neither works.

David, I extracted all files into a subfolder and then ran the exe again. Running the exe does nothing.I've tried running it from every sub folder that was created after the extract too..nothing. The resources folder only contains one file called installbuilder.icns

Here's a silly question. I see there's a folder included called MacOS. Though I didn't notice it anywhere in the product page, this isn't a tutorial for Apple pc's is it? As mine is Windows.

edited December 1969

kyricus said:
    Thanks,

What both of you said makes sense, however neither works.

David, I extracted all files into a subfolder and then ran the exe again. Running the exe does nothing.I've tried running it from every sub folder that was created after the extract too..nothing. The resources folder only contains one file called installbuilder.icns

Here's a silly question. I see there's a folder included called MacOS. Though I didn't notice it anywhere in the product page, this isn't a tutorial for Apple pc's is it? As mine is Windows.

Sounds quite baffling. Can you show us a screenshot of the files that you were able to extract from the zip? Seeing that might help...

The tutorial and all the files were written on Windows PC.

Cheers,

David.

edited December 1969

Hey David,

Attached are screenshots. There are 5 of them drilling down thru everything unzipped. Hope this helps solve our bafflement .

HDRI5.jpg
    903 x 375 - 86K
    HDRI4.jpg
    931 x 379 - 71K
    HDRI3.jpg
    911 x 351 - 70K
    HDRI2.jpg
    919 x 317 - 66K
    HDRI1.jpg
    893 x 391 - 71K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited May 2013

I may be wrong (It won't be the first time), but usually, when you download stuff from DAZ, it makes two download options available. One for Mac and one for PC. It looks to me like you may have downloaded the Mac one and not the PC one as those files all look like Mac files to me (me being a Mac user).

You could try looking in your DAZ account "downloads available" page to check. The only visible difference in your downloads available is that the file name will say Mac or PC at the end... failing that, David will probably be able give you a more accurate answer.

ETA: Looking closer at your screen grabs, the file name has 'pt1' in it leading me to think that there are other parts in separate download files. Have you checked you downloaded all the parts available?

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

You could try looking in your DAZ account "downloads available" page to check. The only visible difference in your downloads available is that the file name will say Mac or PC at the end... failing that, David will probably be able give you a more accurate answer.

There are no Available Downloads anymore. It is now called Product Library.

@kyricus - If there is a file marked with a green DIM, get that one and unzip it retaining the folder structure. There is no need to run the Install Manager.

edited December 1969

I think now I see what the problem is. What you have there is the version of the product for the Mac.

I'll see if I can summon Pam here to help because I only know the old system "Available downloads" and now it's all changed and for me doesn't work.

Image1.jpg
    771 x 261 - 26K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As Horo syas, you need to go to "My Account" top right of the screen and then to "Product library"

We are however experiencing a proeblem with the store and appernetly also sometimes the secure area of the site as well, so you may get the error that David notes. Sometimes this can be cut=red by clearing your browser cache, and trying again, If that doesn't work then try a hard refresh.

either Shift+Browser refresh, or Ctrl+F5 or Shift+Ctrl+R the method of hard refresh does vary from browser to browser.

DAZ 3D is aware that there is a problem but of course it was a 3 day weekend for almost everyone, so it may be a while before it is completely sorted out

Can only apologise.

edited December 1969

Hey guys,

I kind of thought those were Mac files. However, they are the only files available to download. No other files that I can see. I thought that kind of odd because I've dowloaded other stuff from Daz and noticed the PC/MAC files but on the download page for this one (that i get to from the link on my product library) there are only 6 file, and no differentiation between them. Here's a screenie for you

HDRI6jpg.jpg
    1009 x 779 - 199K
    edited December 1969

You need to download the .exe files, not the .zip

This is obviously one of the products that hasn't been converted to the newer formats yet.

With this the .zip files are the Mac files only the .exe are for PC. THis is because some of the older files Mac users couldn't deal with the installers, so they were packed in the zip, with a mac installer inside the zip

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    DAZ 3D is aware that there is a problem but of course it was a 3 day weekend for almost everyone, so it may be a while before it is completely sorted out

Good to know DAZ 3D is aware and it's not my browsers. I can clear the message by clicking on back and click on the link again. The second time it usually works.

@kyricus - from experience, get the exe, run it to extract into any folder of your choice as David said above. The zip files are for the Mac.

edited May 2013

Chohole,I downloaded the .exe files also. They don't run, they do nothing. They don't show up in my process's list as running in task manager, they don't unpack or do anything.
    \
    Sorry for the edit's, still on my first cup of coffee

Post edited by Kyricus on
    edited May 2013

kyricus said:
    Chohole,I downloaded the .exe files also. They don't run, they do nothing. They don't show up in my process's list as running in task manager, they don't unpack or do anything.
    \
    Sorry for the edit's, still on my first cup of coffee

Ugh. I have no answer for that. I have never had any problem with DAZ 3D exe files (except for the fact that I don't like them, especially when dealing with Bryce content).

Normally double clicking on the exe in my downloads folder will start the process. I tehn direct it to a temp folder and then move as neccessary, once it has finished unpacking stuff.

Edited to add, Is it possible that you got a corrupt or incomplete download.

Try clearing your browser cache, to remove any previous partial download and download it again, checking that you got a complete file by the size of the download.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

They don’t run, they do nothing.

I seem to recall there was issue once with the .exe files after downloading them; where the '.exe' extension wasn't included. The files were complete okay, but you had to rename them simply by adding on the '.exe' extension onto their ends. After the renaming stuff, when you double-clicked on them to 'run', they then worked okay.

Jay

edited December 1969

Good point Jay. I had forgotten we did have that problem some time back.

edited December 1969

Sounds like a plan. So download all three parts. And then modify the file extensions to read .exe and let us know if that fixes it.

Fingers crossed and all that.

And yes, if anything is going to go wrong, it always goes wrong on a DAZ 3D long weekend. Don't we know it?

Image3.jpg
    398 x 168 - 15K
    edited May 2013

Our boss man has just emailed DAZ 3D again. Tis now 5:30 am in Daz Land

I quote his message in another forum thread

I've sent an "Oh no it isn't!" reply to the email saying it was fixed - not sure if it broke again or if there was a knock-on issue, but DAZ should be aware and looking at it once the day starts over there.
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    There are no Available Downloads anymore. It is now called Product Library.

Oh OK, thanks Horo.
    Shows how often I have need to visit my account nowadays. :lol:
    edited December 1969

Well, tried it. Nothing. Though the files were already .exe when I downloaded them, I renamed them and saved them as .exe. Same result.
    I tried running as admin, setting different compatibility, nada.

I think I'll give up and and just chalk it up as 5 bucks less to spend somewhere else unless I can get it credited. Not a big deal. Thanks for your help on this.

Off to look at some of those plants I downloaded yesterday!

edited December 1969

kyricus said:
    Well, tried it. Nothing. Though the files were already .exe when I downloaded them, I renamed them and saved them as .exe. Same result.
    I tried running as admin, setting different compatibility, nada.

I think I'll give up and and just chalk it up as 5 bucks less to spend somewhere else unless I can get it credited. Not a big deal. Thanks for your help on this.

Off to look at some of those plants I downloaded yesterday!

PM sent.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

I know this suggestion may be a little late (been working some long hours). I do recall the issue with the "exe" files and if my failing old memory is correct it happened about the time of the site changes etc. There was a small utility created called "FixDaz32", who made it I don't recall but I did use it several times to repair downloaded files. It may be that you have such an affected file. A search of the forum might turn up the utility if not I still have a copy.

Cheers
    GG