Have a Go at trueSpace...The Unsung Freebie

silbersulfursilbersulfur Posts: 9
edited January 2018 in Carrara Discussion

Hello all,

Just dropping to bring awareness yo alternative modelers that might 'click' with some. Not shoving anything down anyone's throat here but for me I wish someone would've turned me on to trueSpace years ago.

If you dislike blender or find it very difficult to remember on each use then trueSpace may be for you... It is like the 'polar opposite' of blender, very visually driven. Modeling can be done much faster in trueSpace due to workflows & tools complimenting such. One blender tut on youtube I watched last year the person was touting blender's powerful bevel tool...Shoot, trueSpace had a much better one 15 years ago!

So what about those cool cycles renders? Well, trueSpace has FREE V-RAY! FULL V-RAY!! With great integration like viewport rendering both in the modelside & the workspace side. V-Ray is just as good as cycles...cycles is just better setup for beginners.

So you might want to try this FREE 3D Soft. What is the drawback? Well, there are 'enough' tutorials for the legacy modelside & wonderful PDF manuals but alot lacking for the 7.61 workspace side (That's the one with the pretty direct-X lit viewport).

Also there is a major TON of plugins that come with the installer or available as separate with many being former commercial plugs 'turned free'. The list is LARGE!

Remember this is a 32bit windows app heavy on directX...not openGL. I use old dual cores with 3 GB RAM (XP SP3)everything hunky dory. You may experience problems with windows 10.

Go to this page- http://www.flat2d.com/Truespace_en.aspx

On the left there will be the DL, then middle for shaders, plugins, models, UV Checkers & on the right are the tuts. The ones done by 3DBuzz are fantastic.

So even if you are not interested in trueSpace you should still go there & grab the UV Checkers & maybe the 2 model sets & there are some other great freeware on that site but the UV Checkers certainly a help in Carrara.

Many sites for tS but this is the official fansite - http://truespace.kabrite.com/

Have a good one........

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• silbersulfursilbersulfur Posts: 9
    edited January 2018

Forgot to add that for all the archives on the flat2d website you'll need a fairly recent version of WinRAR or 7ZIP (or other) otherwise there will be an error message...

• TrueSpace is brilliant. It relies heavily on icons which is what led to some of the issues with the interface as it became more robust. But no doubt it is a world class modeler once you know how to use it. I keep hoping that someday it will again be given new life.

• silbersulfursilbersulfur Posts: 9
    edited January 2018

Yes, Rashad...And nice seeing you again. Well, I've pretty much just got started with it and you are a seasoned pro...but I sure like some of the modeling workflows. Wish there were more tuts & such on the 7.61 workspace side...The link editor is quite powerful but getting your head wrapped around it is something else...Well, A little at a time, at least one can use the modelside in the meantime.

HEY! I at this moment, have one of your 'Cement Jungles' as my wallpaper...What a great composition! I study it here & there.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks for those links!

• CelluloCellulo Posts: 60
    edited January 2018

It's me that made this special version of trueSpace available on my Flat2D homepage, soon i will host a new version of the tS modelside and this will be the last version i will made, because no more new content to add in this package, trueSpace is really cool with this intuitive interface never see in other 3D packages, i like the icons tools, you can add shortcut keys on them to speed up the workflow, remember that this trueSpace modelside 2.1 version is only a special version with all plugins and renders engine available from the net in this time, it take me a long time to search plugins and test the compatibility, made new help pages, add new shaders etc... with the help of people from united3dartists forum, the last trueSpace users.

trueSpace is still capable today to make cool renders, really a unique 3d modeling package and easy to understand. It's sad that trueSpace is no more developped or open sourced. The shaders and plugins packs available on my homepage is only for the trueSpace 6.6 or ts illustrators users, the old version of trueSpace before turned in 7.6 or 7.61 version with the Workspace side.

One last thing about the V-ray version shipped in tS modelside 2.1, this V-ray version is not supported by "Chaos Group" the original creator of V-ray, it's a special version made by Caligari to be used in trueSpace modelside and workspace side, this also mean a lot of features is missing in comparaison with the actual 3ds max V-ray plugin or standalone V-ray version but can still make cool renders, if you encounter problem with V-ray render don't ask questions to Chaos Group forum, it's better to ask questions on https://www.united3dartists.com/forum/index.php .

If you like the trueSpace intuitive UI, you can try this Blender version that mimic the trueSpace UI, called "Bforartists" at https://www.bforartists.de

This blender version is made by Tiles and his team, a old user of trueSpace, thanks to him to made this cool blender version more UI friendly than the original blender version.

Post edited by Cellulo on
  • cobuspcobusp Posts: 303

Yes, I was a TrueSpace user long ago, when I still had to purchase the software and plugind. It definitely has much more advanced modelling features than Carrara. I've always been perplexed why the software never made it. Is it still made availabe by Caligari, or does the company not feature anymore.

• cobusp said:

Yes, I was a TrueSpace user long ago, when I still had to purchase the software and plugind. It definitely has much more advanced modelling features than Carrara. I've always been perplexed why the software never made it. Is it still made availabe by Caligari, or does the company not feature anymore.

Caligari no longer exists

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 303

That is sad. I wonder what Microsoft' s intentions were with acquiring the software?

• 3DMD3DMD Posts: 18

Thank you for hosting, and the links!