New tutorial I am working on

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Here is a screen shot of a new tut I am working on.
It will be simple modeling so the focus will be uv mapping and texturing.
I hope to have the video ready in a week or two. I am working on it every chance I get.

lowpoly_crate_2.jpg
409 x 435 - 87K

Comments

• ds-mail_2e0cb9c256ds-mail_2e0cb9c256 Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Geek at Play did this once a while back; maybe you will add something?

Check his so as to not spend a lot of time duplicating?

• edited June 2012

This tut will mainly be about painting the textures in Gimp 2.8
    all of the textures are hand painted, no photo textures will be used.

Post edited by johnnybevo_1ac43c32de on
  • eyelinereyeliner Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Good, good. Tutorials are right what my builders need. This one seems to add up to the one from Geek at Play.

Even if it is the same, there might be different takes on the same subject, so variation is never pernicious.

• shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

This tut will mainly be about painting the textures in Gimp 2.8
    all of the textures are hand painted, no photo textures will be used.

I can't wait, texturing is a bit of a problem for me, and I do have Gimp2.8.

Don't worry if it is a duplication from Geek at Play, I go there everyday and it seems to have died, there is next to no action what so ever.

• edited December 1969

Making a little change to the tutorial.
    In the posted image above the shadows were painted in.
    Instead of painting in the shadows we will be using xnormal to generate an AO map.

Also in later tutorials I may incorporate the use of xnormal for generating additional maps also.

• ds-mail_2e0cb9c256ds-mail_2e0cb9c256 Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Excellent, new stuff to learn, looking forward to your tut

edited December 1969

Sir knight johnnybevo,

May I inquire if perchance thy knowledge on Hexagon can be harvested in other directions? I would like to know if there is a possibility of using Hexagon to create a cell shading effect, which is most intriguing and the toddlers in my kingdom adore to gaze upon and if so, could I ask for a serialized learning moving imagery with sound for other to reap knowledge from.

I thank thy heaps.

• edited December 1969

eyeliner said:
    Sir knight johnnybevo,

May I inquire if perchance thy knowledge on Hexagon can be harvested in other directions? I would like to know if there is a possibility of using Hexagon to create a cell shading effect, which is most intriguing and the toddlers in my kingdom adore to gaze upon and if so, could I ask for a serialized learning moving imagery with sound for other to reap knowledge from.

I thank thy heaps.

No Cell shading effect in Hexagon.
    Unless you texture you model in such a way to give the appearance of cell shading.
    Cell shading can be done through a render engine and that depends if the render engine has that capability or that capability can be added through the use of a plugin.
    at least to the best of my knowledge the above would be a true statement.

edited December 1969

Ah, poor toddlers shall then spend their lives building mud castles and dreaming of becoming knight errants, forever searching for treasure in the pits of my sewage system.

• edited December 1969

update
    parts one and two recorded.
    Will likely take four or five videos to cover all of it.
    I do not plan to upload any of the videos until the whole series is complete.

couple of sample textures I made while developing this tut.
    copy and use them if you want to but please do not redistribute in any way.

wood2.jpg
    400 x 400 - 275K
    wood1.jpg
    400 x 400 - 176K