Poser Pro 2012

edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Hi all I am new to using poser and thought I would give it a try. Can someone tell me what the proper install path for Daz V4 and Daz M4 is in Poser? Thanks for any and all help.

Comments

• DangerousMovesDangerousMoves Posts: 5
    edited May 2013

Well I dont know whether it is the correct way, but I just Installed them in the main folder for Poser, though that is the folder name Poser pro 2014 for me.

Post edited by DangerousMoves on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,260
    edited December 1969

It's bad idea to isntall to the application folder - on Windows Vista and later it cans top the content from working. Instead select DAZ Studio as the target application, to stop the installer searching for the Poser application file, and point the installer to your normal Poser content location - default is, I think, \Smith Micro\Poser X Content in either your own or the public documents folder.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,791
    edited December 1969

I set up sperate folders for V4 and M4, installed their content there and added them to the Poser Library as external runtime directories. What version of Poser are you using, as the procedure for adding external runtimes is different for Poser a as for 8 and higher...

• edited December 1969

I have poser 2012 as well as Daz 4. Im running windows 7 and my problem is I cant figure out were to find V4 or M4 in poser. So I was wondering what the proper destination path for installing stuff into the poser runtime.

edited December 1969

You can install to your Poser Pro 2012 Content, which will be in your own or the Public Documents folder in a folder named Smith Micro by default, or you can create a new folder for the figures, install to that and use the folder with a + at top right of Poser's library panel to add that folder as an external library.

• tylerzamboritylerzambori Posts: 79
    edited May 2013

You can install to your Poser Pro 2012 Content, which will be in your own or the Public Documents folder in a folder named Smith Micro by default, or you can create a new folder for the figures, install to that and use the folder with a + at top right of Poser's library panel to add that folder as an external library.

No. Set up an external runtime and avoid searching through any public documents for content.
    Give it a name like "all external runtimes" or something similar. Then the first thing you want to do
    is copy any version of poser.exe into that folder. You only need the one file - don't install poser there.
    Then inside "all external runtimes" create one folder - and call it runtime. That's it, just the exact
    word "runtime."

Then open that folder. Then create a folder called victoria 4. Copy victoria 4 and all her character
    accessories like morphs++ and etc. to the victoria 4 folder. Highlight them all at once, and extract
    them right there in that folder. I use winrar to extract stuff.

Do the same for michael 4.

Go back into poser and add each runtime: victoria 4 and michael 4 individually.

Now you have an external runtime, you don't have to search for your stuff somewhere
    in Daz's documents, and you can make categories for all of your other content
    in there too.

And daz can access your content in this folder too.

This is what I do and it works great.

Post edited by tylerzambori on
    edited December 1969

You don't need to copy the poser.exe (or .app for Mac) - just select DAZ Studio as the target application, if you even use the installers. You also don't need, and may not want, a folder called Runtimes beyond the ones the installers would create - there have been a few tools over the years that have been confused by more than one folder called Runtime in the path.

edited May 2013

You don't need to copy the poser.exe (or .app for Mac) - just select DAZ Studio as the target application, if you even use the installers. You also don't need, and may not want, a folder called Runtimes beyond the ones the installers would create - there have been a few tools over the years that have been confused by more than one folder called Runtime in the path.

Why would he want to select daz studio as the target application, when he's asking
    about using his content in Poser?

He owns Poser, so copying poser.exe over to the external runtime is better
    and more efficient. And also no problem.

I'm telling you how to have an organized external runtime that will let you actually find things!

Richard, excatly what tools are those? I have had not problem accessing my content
    in either poser or daz studio. Or carrara either for that matter.

Are you trying to claim that some plugin or other would have a problem with it?
    if so, how would that work, when it;s the main application that loads the content?
    Do tell....

Edit: All right I tried it without putting everything in a runtime subfolder, and it works.
    So the OP can just eliminate that step and create a V4 and M4 folder
    after creating the external runtime folder, copying in poser.exe, and then
    simply creating his own runtime folders with his own categories in there,
    without having to put his content in a messy documents folder.

• DoricDoric Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

The benefit of having the work computer off line. I have UAC disabled and use the program files>Smith Micro> Poser(version) runtime and have no problems whatever. Only one person in the house so I don't have to worry about someone playing with my computer. Most people just want to play online, and this one has nothing else in it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Doric said:
    The benefit of having the work computer off line. I have UAC disabled and use the program files>Smith Micro> Poser(version) runtime and have no problems whatever. Only one person in the house so I don't have to worry about someone playing with my computer. Most people just want to play online, and this one has nothing else in it.

Having UAC disabled does not stop Windows from "protecting" the Program Files hierarchy.

edited December 1969

Richard, excatly what tools are those? I have had not problem accessing my content
    in either poser or daz studio. Or carrara either for that matter.

Are you trying to claim that some plugin or other would have a problem with it?
    if so, how would that work, when it;s the main application that loads the content?
    Do tell....

Apparently there are some python scripts that will barf if they encounter more than one instance of 'runtime' in the file path. I personally keep my external runtimes in a folder called "Poser Library"...
    edited December 1969

Doric said:

Having UAC disabled does not stop Windows from "protecting" the Program Files hierarchy.

I've never even gotten the warning window. They load and save without any problem, only exceptions I've hit so far are M4 and V4. i haven't put in any of the other daz stuff, probably won't, most of that falls into the category of "bought it and never used it", so why put it back in. If I need it,(unlikely) I'll get it off the P7 runtime in an external drive.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Doric said:
    Doric said:

I've never even gotten the warning window. They load and save without any problem, only exceptions I've hit so far are M4 and V4. i haven't put in any of the other daz stuff, probably won't, most of that falls into the category of "bought it and never used it", so why put it back in. If I need it,(unlikely) I'll get it off the P7 runtime in an external drive.

There's no warning, Windows just moves the changed files to appdata and pretends they are still in Program Files.

edited December 1969

Doric said:
    Doric said:

There's no warning, Windows just moves the changed files to appdata and pretends they are still in Program Files.
    Which explains my empty appdata folder how?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,063
    edited December 1969

Why would he want to select daz studio as the target application, when he's asking
    about using his content in Poser?
    Because it installs the exact same files as any of the "Poser" options but bypasses the search for "poser.exe"
    edited June 2013

So what python scrips are these - poser or daz?

edited December 1969

Poser, if they are literally Python scripts - DS has a scripting language, but it's more like JavaScript or Action Script instead of being a Python variant. But I have met the problem in the past with compiled utilities (which I think fixed the issue in later versions, and I can't remember which they were even if they didn't).

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited December 1969

...attempted to install Poser Pro 2012 on the workstation today.

I have a two HDD setup: the C: (boot) drive for where the apps install to, and D: (runtime) is where all the content goes (which is the largest of the two drives). This works fine for Daz Studio and Carrara. but when I get to the screen that asks where to install to, I was confused as where to direct it as there were four different options.

I need it to see the Poser Runtime that is already on the D: drive, but don't know how to tell it "Put the app on C: and "native" Poser Content on D" as that is a fairly sizable collection.

edited June 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...attempted to install Poser Pro 2012 on the workstation today.

I have a two HDD setup: the C: (boot) drive for where the apps install to, and D: (runtime) is where all the content goes (which is the largest of the two drives). This works fine for Daz Studio and Carrara. but when I get to the screen that asks where to install to, I was confused as where to direct it as there were four different options.

I need it to see the Poser Runtime that is already on the D: drive, but don't know how to tell it "Put the app on C: and "native" Poser Content on D" as that is a fairly sizable collection.

Select 'Other location' and let it install its content somewhere on the D drive; I'd make a folder called Poser Library or somesuch and put it there. Then, after installation, add your existing content directory as an external runtime; here's how...

https://support.smithmicro.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2083/~/installing-poser-content-from-previous-poser-versions

Post edited by WandW on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited June 2013

...so does the app go there as well?

BTW, This is a first time clean install on a new system.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so does the app go there as well?

BTW, This is a first time clean install on a new system.

You can if you want, but it's fine in C:\Program files too. (I made a D:\Program Files for apps). The important thing is that Content doesn't need to go in the program runtime anymore; all I put in the program runtime are add-ins such as DSON Importer and Reality, and Python scripts that go on the scripts menu.

My 50 runtimes are in a folder called D:\Poser Library; each of the those subfolders contains a runtime folder and a readme's folder.....

• zaintczaintc Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

I recently found out I can use Daz content on Poser Pro
    I found this out when I installed Shantara City, which had a poser install. So I am now trying to install Genisis and the SuperSuit, yet I dont see it in the folders in Poser after installing it. I see it in the runtime though

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,446
    edited December 1969

You need to install DSON for it to work in Poser. Please don't post the same thing in multiple areas. You already started a thread asking the same question.

edited October 2013

Sorry about that, I have done this and I am also trying to follow the instructions shown here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_importer_usage/tutorials/using_dson_importer/start
    I dont seem to see what the instruction are saying

Plus I had this error and I was able (I think) to still install it

DSON_error.jpg
    506 x 152 - 48K
    Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

I down loaded the file again and reinstalled it, no errors during the installation, still not sure what I am suppose to do next. I will try and see if the instructions might now work

edited December 1969

zaintc said:
    I recently found out I can use Daz content on Poser Pro
    I found this out when I installed Shantara City, which had a poser install. So I am now trying to install Genisis and the SuperSuit, yet I dont see it in the folders in Poser after installing it. I see it in the runtime though

Where did you install it? The Poser Companion library files are cr2, pz2 and such, so they should show up if you refresh the Library or restarted Poser after installing it...

edited October 2013

All this is no longer relevant. I will just fbx direct to c4d, lol. Thank you anyway :-P
    FYI: I installed it to Poser 2012 folder and it was working, I was doing too much to get what I wanted
    and it didnt get me what I wanted from all that : - (

Post edited by zaintc on