How do I apply a shader to multiple objects at once?

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

This may seem very stupid but is there anyway to apply a single shader to multiple objects in a scene in one go? I just want to select all the objects in the scene explorer and for instance right click and say change shader or drag and drop a shader from the browser on multiple selected objects. Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Willie :)

it's not something you'd normally to, so there's no simple function to do it,.

Save your file before you make any big changes to the shaders,. then...

Open the Shaders tab,.(bottom right panel) Select all the shaders (apart from the "Default" shader" ) and delete them all.

Go to Edit / Remove unused / Shaders. to clear out the shaders from memory.

Since the only material left is the default shader,. it'll be applied to all objects,.

you can now select the default shade,. adjust it's colours to what you need,. (like a blue modelling clay, or whatever) and render.

hope it helps :)

• edited December 1969

Thank you 3DAGE - that will help a lot. I render my Ambient Occ passes separate and to apply a white 'Lambert' shader to a zillion objects in the scene every time really wastes a lot of time. Will give this a shot. Cheers!!

• Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

3dage
    I never would have thought of that approach.
    Always wanted to try a clay shader render. I like the look but thought I would have to go through every object.
    Thanks

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Hi Willie.

If you are multi-selecting objects in the instance list, another suggestion;

-Group them.
    -With the group selected, edit the shader.
    -Back in the assemble room use->'Apply to children' button. Then Ungroup if needed.

If the scene has a Poser import(V4 etc.);

-Select the main model mesh under its animation group(V4.2 its 'Model').
    -Edit the shader(Edit button). In the shader room, drag any shader from the menus, browser or shader tab, to the 'Multiple Shading Domains' sphere at the top right.

• edited December 1969

Hi tbwoq

Thanks, would never have thought about grouping. Brilliant!