Magix Music Maker on sale!!

0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
edited June 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hi
just letting anyone interested know that MMM is heavily discounted at moment making it very good value for $39 .

Its a great program for making soundtrack music with pre recorded clips( supplied) or y0u can record your own instruments if you are inclined to.

check it out at

http://www.magix.com/us/music-maker-special-editions/specials/music-maker-soundtrack-edition/detail/functions/

OR the Magix Samplitude also heavily discounted to $99

http://www.magix.com/us/samplitude-music-studio/detail/

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

thanks for the headsup :)

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

I have been looking for something to do this for a while and most of what I have looked at is expensive and fairly complicated like Fruity Loops. Reaper is less expensive but still very complicated.

The two Magix apps you referenced sound great, and the interface is less complicated.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

The link in the first post above also states:

Extended until June 6, 2013
    For free: Soundpool DVD Collection 17
    For free: textbook "Movie Edit Pro"

I bought this bundle and have since received it and played around some. A good deal, IMHO, especially since I use "Movie Edit Pro Premium MX". I have a lot of other music apps. including the high end "Ableton Live", but at this price, its worth having a quick way to generate sound tracks (I participate in the annual "48 Hour Film contest" where the saying is "Every second counts ...")

The only heads-up is the license does not allow commercial use of the loops. I don't do anything commercial, so not a problem for me ...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

No commercial use of the loops?!? I think I'll stick to Soundtrack which is a loop software, and it allows commercial use. I'm sure it's a great product, and even though 95% of what I do is non-commercial, I don't want to have to worry about it when I do get commercial gigs.

edited December 1969

Here is the EULA:

http://www.magix.com/us/eula/consumer/

"The music, video and photo files included with MAGIX products may only be used within the scope of producing personally created works to be used for non-commercial purposes."

B-{

OTOH:

OK, I just got an answer from Catooh and I'll paste it in here:

"If you purchase the Pro Audio licence, you can use the sounds as you wish. The only stipulation is that you do not upload the soundpools directly for distribution unchanged."

END QUOTE

http://www.magix.info/us/using-music-maker-mx-created-music-in-commercial-products.knowledge.637267.html

And how much is that, you are asking ... Here Ya go:

http://www.catooh.com/us/help_-_license_terms.248.html

I think I'll remain a hobbyist ...

edited December 1969

That is very sneaky. Usually that is clearly stated up front. I looked for the "catch" in the product description and it was NOT there. I assume the restriction includes the sampled sounds as well, which essentially makes composing your own commercial music NOT possible with Magix unless you are using purely synthesized sounds.

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    That is very sneaky. Usually that is clearly stated up front. I looked for the "catch" in the product description and it was NOT there. I assume the restriction includes the sampled sounds as well, which essentially makes composing your own commercial music NOT possible with Magix unless you are using purely synthesized sounds.

I would imagine that if you sampled your own sounds you would be free to do as you wanted.

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:

I would imagine that if you sampled your own sounds you would be free to do as you wanted.

I would imagine that is true. But the benefit is obviously with the sampled sounds that come with the application.

edited December 1969

Did a little digging so I wouldn't be talking outta my arse, but I also use Garageband as well which is part of the iLife suite (Mac only). Garageband also utilizes loops, although you can also plug in your own instruments and mic. I dug around and found this on Apple's web site:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2931

You can get the individual apps in iLife for about $15.00.

Picture_4.png
    739 x 574 - 62K
    edited December 1969

From the "License.txt" file on the "Music Maker: Soundtrack Edition" disk:

Commercial use of the software is allowed as long it does not contradict points 1 to 6 of this contract.

END QUOTE

Sounds like your own samples are OK, but I'm no lawyer ... and haven't read Items 1 - 6 in detail since it makes me dizzy ...

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    That is very sneaky. ...

Magix doesn't go out of their way to highlight the limitations, I agree. The box for the SoundPool DVD (included in the bundle), does say "License free, royalty free for private use." Of course, you don't have the box when you buy online. Years of purchasing "royalty free" elements has taught me to dig in if I need the details. The EULA is usually somewhere on the website.

edited December 1969

As long as the samples or recording were not made using the Magix software. The EULA states recordings obtained "through" the Magix application are subject to non-commercial use as well.

They advertise the content is professional but you can't use it professionally (as in selling work using the content), and you can't make your own recordings with it either if you intend to sell the work.

I guess in Magics case, "HOME" use is really home use. If you go to their "Pro" site, the EULA is more in line with what Evil posted from Apple.

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    cdordoni said:
    That is very sneaky. ...

Magix doesn't go out of their way to highlight the limitations, I agree. The box for the SoundPool DVD (included in the bundle), does say "License free, royalty free for private use." Of course, you don't have the box when you buy online. Years of purchasing "royalty free" elements has taught me to dig in if I need the details. The EULA is usually somewhere on the website.

I agree. Many of the royalty free sites do have fine print which states limitations that could impact usage. But the usage limitation are typically easily referenced, and you usually don't have go through hoops or customer support to find them.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

I have a coup[le of magix products which I really like but I agree their Website is terrible when it comes to finding out anything.As a hobbyist I had not been aware of the Loops licensing which now i see the terms looks to be a turn off .

MIXCRAFT could be a good value alternative - I downloaded a trial sometime ago but have not yet installed. It comes in a few versions starting at $50 including 2000 loops and $80 with 6000 loops royalty free.

If using as a DAW it has a few good virtual instruments.

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/features.htm

I must take a look at this.

edited December 1969

Wusik Station (VSTi plugin) http://www.wusik.com/ comes with a load of samples. There are also additional samples for purchase on their site. I am contacting them to see if there is any restriction on use.

edited December 1969

... just heard back from the Wusik support. The sounds included with the app and for purchase on the site can be used commercially.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

I just wish software and products with non-commericial licenses would set a definition of less that $100 profit considered non-commercial so you could use the software or product for contest entries...... not that I ever win any:)