How to Import Textures with Object

MrWizard1024MrWizard1024 Posts: 51
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

This is a reprise of a frequent question covered in a thread in the old forums.

When I try to import a Genesis figure with ordinary clothing it comes across as totally gray. I can transfer it from DAZ Studio 4 to Hexagon 2.5 just fine (see figure), but then when I try to export it as either an .obj/.mat file pair or a .3ds file from Hexagon into Bryce 7.1 Pro, it comes across looking like the Silver Surfer (see figure). This is using an iMac under 10.6.8. What's the right way to transfer a Genesis figure from DAZ Studio to Bryce?

MrWizard1024

Pilot_in_Bryce.jpg
249 x 230 - 41K
Pilot.jpg
257 x 259 - 40K

Comments

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited June 2012

Have you tried exporting a .OBJ from D|S,with the "Collect Maps" option checked? And be sure that the .OBJ/.MTL is in the same folder as the "Maps" folder that the "Collect Maps" creates.

Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
  • MrWizard1024MrWizard1024 Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

Have you tried exporting a .OBJ from D|S,with the "Collect Maps" option checked? And be sure that the .OBJ/.MTL is in the same folder as the "Maps" folder that the "Collect Maps" creates.

Aha! The trick was that in the OBJExportOptions dialog box, to Show Individual Settings, then to check Write Surfaces and Write Material Library, then choose radio button Collect Maps or Convert Maps for Bryce.

I do notice some pokethrough of the Genesis figure through the pants -- normally, the DAZ Studio smoothing modifer handles that for me in DAZ Studio. Is there an equivalent to the smoothing modifier in Bryce, or can that be handled only through postwork?

Many thanks, Dan

MrWizard1024

• RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 341
    edited October 2012

I have no problem with importing OBJ/MTL files into DS4 and getting them to render just fine without having to apply the texture. However, if you are initially shocked by the gray-color imported figure, you may not even try to render the scene.

Post edited by RoLoW on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

Having set your figure up in DS, save it and close DS. Open bryce use the Open DS icon on the top bar of Bryce (It's the little Daz symbol) tell it where your DS is, and carry on from there to bring your figure into Bryce.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

"I do notice some poke-through of the Genesis figure through the pants—normally, the DAZ Studio smoothing modifier handles that for me in DAZ Studio. Is there an equivalent to the smoothing modifier in Bryce, or can that be handled only through post work?"

Sorry I missed this - Bryce does have normals smoothing but that doesn't change the geometry so you'll still get the poke-through.

Couple things you can try:
    If the body part is completely covered, just delete the body part in Bryce.
    Sometimes you can make the clothing item slightly bigger, either by using the Edit Attributes dialog>size or with the Alt/Option key and the resize gadget.
    Also sometimes you can simply moving the clothing item slightly forward or back.

I just had this problem with a Genesis figure and the Swim Wear 2 outfit. The image shows the poke-through and I the fixed version by moving it forward (Z) only .2 BU.

pokethroughfix.jpg
    432 x 300 - 25K