New monitor!

MoviehawkMoviehawk Posts: 67
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Any advice appreciated ...

I normally run two monitors (19" dell 1908fp), and just today upgraded one to a 22" dell.

All versions of Carrara have run fine on the two 19"
With the one 19" and one 22" - Carrara 8.1, 8.5.107 and 8.5.132 all work fine with the two different monitors - even running different resolutions.

8.5.204 hangs on start and refuses to load - 0% cpu.
This is the same on 32bit as well as 64 bit versions. (two different computers connected to the two monitors)

I have un-installed and reinstalled - no good. Tried changing monitor resolutions to match - no good.
Carrara just hangs up - won't go anywhere

Any help appreciated as I would really like to use the 22" screen (looking to get another to make it a matching set.)
If anyone can confirm - I will file a bug report (might file one anyway!)

Thanks
Allen

Comments

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

I use mismatched monitors (Samsung 27' and a Dell 21.5") and I've never had any problems with 64-bit Windows 7 and Carrara. I move Carrara back and forth between the two monitors quite a bit.

I'm using 8.5.172, though.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hmmm. I seems strange that is only effects .204

It does sound like a bug, but I would also double check all your video card drivers, look for updates, etc...

• MoviehawkMoviehawk Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Well! Thanks Holly - that did it.
    Updating the driver (along with several re-install and re-boots!) It finally started working.
    I should have thought of that in the first place - but everything else was working fine - including the previous versions of Carrara.

Thanks pencilneck - appreciate the comments. I don't have 8.5.172, but all my other versions were working fine.

Thanks!!!
    Allen

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046
    edited December 1969

enabling 2 monitors in preferences for Carrara has never worked well for me and is a bugger to fix too when going back.
    I get all sorts of issues with it being parially off screen and not being able to reach file tab etc.
    I have my Daz studio and Poser tabs undocked and spread out though
    but
    warning, swapping your monitors around afterwards you can lose stuff!!!
    I have many times had to swap back temporarily to drag stuff off a third absent monitor to my main window.
    Had to today with irfanview which mysteriously ended up to the right instead of the left of my main monitor.

• edited December 1969

Get a 30 inch DELL and be done with it. I got one a few months ago and its the bests monitor I have ever had. BUT maybe your new Monitor is taxing your video card more than the old one AND correct me it I am wrong if Carrara is set to use GI or if is SOFTWARE maybe be an issue.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Get a 30 inch DELL and be done with it. I got one a few months ago and its the bests monitor I have ever had. BUT maybe your new Monitor is taxing your video card more than the old one AND correct me it I am wrong if Carrara is set to use GI or if is SOFTWARE maybe be an issue.

I don't deny that 30" is pretty awesome (stuck with 24" screens myself...$$$ limits).

But as someone who used to have 4 monitors at Microsoft (I know people with 6!); I can't go back to just one screen...no matter how large it is. Here at home, I'm down to just two monitors for the work laptop and two monitors here on my general usage machine.

Unfortunately, Carrara and LightWave have only a single (but damn nice) 24" monitor on the server.

Carrara is flakey with multiple monitors though. Crying shame that.

• edited December 1969

Garstor said:

I don't deny that 30" is pretty awesome (stuck with 24" screens myself...$$$ limits).

But as someone who used to have 4 monitors at Microsoft (I know people with 6!); I can't go back to just one screen...no matter how large it is. Here at home, I'm down to just two monitors for the work laptop and two monitors here on my general usage machine.

Unfortunately, Carrara and LightWave have only a single (but damn nice) 24" monitor on the server.

Carrara is flakey with multiple monitors though. Crying shame that.

yea I have tried to used Carrara on 2 monitors with mixed results. My number one complaint there is once I get my main window in front of me then all the are tool/attributes, and other windows all set up on the other monitor when to close to file then reopen e it there are all back to the single window set up again

• edited December 1969

Yea if you go to MACRUMORS theres a thread called I think "POST IMAGES of your ultimate mac set up" and theres a guy with more money than brains that has 6 huge monitors and I don't know how people look around like that without their neck breaking

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Yea if you go to MACRUMORS theres a thread called I think "POST IMAGES of your ultimate mac set up" and theres a guy with more money than brains that has 6 huge monitors and I don't know how people look around like that without their neck breaking

Honestly, it depends on the layout of the monitors and what your work is.

With 4 monitors at Microsoft, I had the main support case application open on one monitor, Outlook on another monitor, chat windows on a third and remote desktop session to other computers on the fourth. The benefits of having more than one application running in full-screen mode cannot be understated.