Oso Toon Shader for Iray for Sale! [Commercial]

Comments

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Thanks for the ideas. I dug up a different g8 skin and it worked fine so I definitely think it was something in the skin. One of DarwinMishap's so it might very well have had makeup or luminance diffferences. Once I make up some lost time I'll try and verify that.

• rono64rono64 Posts: 55
    edited May 2018

For some reason I keep getting errors when trying to load flat color render, this is not at all working like the instructions say, did a Daz update change anything I am unaware of?

I have installed twice by IM and Content and still getting "an error occured while reading this file, see the log file for more details."

Looking at the log all I can find is this "2018-05-13 08:14:52.119     Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
    2018-05-13 08:14:52.121 Error reading file, see log for more details."

I figured out that these are not auto settings just guidelines, but still can't get anything to work, will keep trying as the Mat ID scripts work well.

Post edited by rono64 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

The 'flat color render' icon is just there for information. If you hover over it, it provides more information on how to set things up to do a flat color render.

• MystixMystix Posts: 4

This was on my wishlist for a while, and I just grabbed it during a sale.

Anyways, maybe I'm blind or slow / a dummy, but even after reading through the Instructions many times (which I admit, are a bit confusing to me), and trying to follow the steps, some things elude me and all I can get are black outline renders.

One thing I can't find is the "Emission Type?" parameter. Where is it supposed to be? I looked under the Shaders tab, the Render settings, etc.. But I can't seem to find it anywhere in my DAZ settings.

Maybe if someone would be so kind to, step-by-step, or if a series of clear images was shown to where one is supposed to find these different parametters and settings (like an example walkthrough guide but include images as well), that would be nice. 

Thanks!

• MaloneXIMaloneXI Posts: 145
    edited June 2018

HI all !! 

I was looking for such a toon shader ! Bu , as many here... It doesn't work. I'm trying to follow what the manual says , but I've got an error after clicking the first step... "Error, please read the log blablabla". 

And that's what I did : 

2018-06-27 14:31:34.045 Error reading file, see log for more details.

2018-06-27 14:31:34.116 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 01797 iterations after 509.738s.

2018-06-27 14:32:26.061 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 01979 iterations after 561.684s.

2018-06-27 14:33:01.590 WARNING: QAccessibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements! (ID 5 unknown for QWidget)

2018-06-27 14:33:03.960 F:/My DAZ 3D Library/Shader Presets/Oso3D/Iray/Oso Toon/Oso Toon Shader !1 Flat Color Render.duf (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['

I must say I have no idea of what is talking about.... If someone could help... And same as Mystix , I don't know where to find "Emission type", I may be stupid too huhu. 

Thanx a lot :! 

Post edited by MaloneXI on
    edited June 2018

The Emission Type? is in the surfaces tab. It's a Toon Shader, so shader info is found in the surfaces. You can find it more quickly by typing 'emission' in the search field of the surface at the top (good way to find parameters quickly)

Malonexi: The black icons are there only for information; if you put your mouse pointer over them, it expands to give more information on how to do that step. The only icons you are supposed to click are Oso Toon Shader Base (which applies the shader), and the three scripts for randomizing material ID.

clip.jpg
    347 x 493 - 78K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • MaloneXIMaloneXI Posts: 145

Thanx for the answer ! 

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

Hi OSO.  I tried out your Toon Shader today and followed the manual steps, but I can't seem to get these images to look anything like your examples.  Not sure what I am doing wrong here.  Sample renders attached.

In the first example, Flat Color method, things seem to be ok but the eyes are all white for some reason. I tried to check settings such as pupil, irises and sclera, but can't see anything wrong and honestly don't know what to look for to change.

In the second example, Material ID method, the image is just all black, which obviously isn't what I need here to use it as an outline layer in Photoshop.

Last example, Shading method, I think is correct and how it should look, but still some things are coming in as all black like the eyes and weapon belts.

Any help would be appreciated.  As you saw in the LineRender9K thread, I am trying to experiment with all of these plugins to come up with a decent comic book style look.  All of the plugins (Visual/Manga Style, OSO, LR9K, Sketchy) seem to have some great examples, but obviously there are pieces of the puzzle that I am not understanding to replicate those results.

Thanks!

Nico - OSO Toon (Flat Color).png
    1600 x 2400 - 1M
    Nico - OSO Toon (Material ID).png
    1600 x 2400 - 135K
    Nico - OSO Toon (Shading).png
    1600 x 2400 - 2M

For flat color, the problem is Eye Moisture. It's set to show flat diffuse color, which is white. For this and other transparent items, just set Cutout Opacity to 0 (unless you want white eyes. ;)

For the second step, it is correctly showing Material ID, which usually defaults to black. If you want to set this up better, use the included scripts to randomly assign various groups of surfaces' MaterialID. You can also do it by hand, setting each MaterialID; this is time consuming but I sometimes find it handy to adjust specific things.

Shading method, you might want to up the Max Path Length by one or two and see if it clears up (transparency tends to require more bounces). Alternately, you can, again, set cutout opacity of the eyemoisture to 0.

Admittedly, it's a tricky product to use, but it sounds like you have it almost right already!

Oso3D said:

For flat color, the problem is Eye Moisture. It's set to show flat diffuse color, which is white. For this and other transparent items, just set Cutout Opacity to 0 (unless you want white eyes. ;)

For the second step, it is correctly showing Material ID, which usually defaults to black. If you want to set this up better, use the included scripts to randomly assign various groups of surfaces' MaterialID. You can also do it by hand, setting each MaterialID; this is time consuming but I sometimes find it handy to adjust specific things.

Shading method, you might want to up the Max Path Length by one or two and see if it clears up (transparency tends to require more bounces). Alternately, you can, again, set cutout opacity of the eyemoisture to 0.

Admittedly, it's a tricky product to use, but it sounds like you have it almost right already!

Hey.  Thanks for all that info.  Ok, so here are new batch of tests.  Got the eyes sorted, but now the Material ID looks strange.  I see similar export in your documentation but I am confused on how your were able to get the line output from that.

Nico (Flat color) Test 1.png
    2400 x 3600 - 4M
    Nico (Material ID) Test 1.png
    2400 x 3600 - 546K
    Nico (Shading) Test 1.png
    2400 x 3600 - 5M

Ok, the material ID render is perfect. At this point you need to do a find edges in Photoshop or whatever the equivalent is in GIMP. The documentation explains both, but here's a quick runthrough of photoshop:

Open in Photoshop. Your image has a transparent option, may want to flatten the layer.

Select Filters > Stylize > Find Edges

Now convert to grayscale (Image > Mode > Grayscale). Some lines may be a bit light, try adjusting Levels a bit to get what you want. One of the difficulties of this approach is that the intensity of the lines are based on how different the colors are. So... that's a little tricky to finesse.

And you get the attached image.

I find that with beards and armhair or similar, it may be better to hide them during the outlining pass and rely on the color/shading to bring out those details.

Outlines.png
    2400 x 3600 - 278K
    Oso3D said:

Ok, the material ID render is perfect. At this point you need to do a find edges in Photoshop or whatever the equivalent is in GIMP. The documentation explains both, but here's a quick runthrough of photoshop:

Open in Photoshop. Your image has a transparent option, may want to flatten the layer.

Select Filters > Stylize > Find Edges

Now convert to grayscale (Image > Mode > Grayscale). Some lines may be a bit light, try adjusting Levels a bit to get what you want. One of the difficulties of this approach is that the intensity of the lines are based on how different the colors are. So... that's a little tricky to finesse.

And you get the attached image.

I find that with beards and armhair or similar, it may be better to hide them during the outlining pass and rely on the color/shading to bring out those details.

Bravo!  That was the missing piece.  I thought the plugin was outputting the outlines from DAZ.  Here's my first experiment combing all of the renders.

Nico-(Combined)-Test-1.jpg
    2400 x 3600 - 795K

VERY nice.

Now, personally, I find a lot of the skins have too much detail for a toon style, but that's very much a style thing. Some skins have more detail than others. Obviously, toon skins (like Toon Universe) have textures with fairly simple look. I've sometimes replaced textures with simple colors, though that can get tricky with lips and similar.

Oso3D said:

VERY nice.

Now, personally, I find a lot of the skins have too much detail for a toon style, but that's very much a style thing. Some skins have more detail than others. Obviously, toon skins (like Toon Universe) have textures with fairly simple look. I've sometimes replaced textures with simple colors, though that can get tricky with lips and similar.

Yeah this is all going to be lots of experimentation and logging what steps I am taking in each plugin so I can remember.  Hopefully I will land on a style that works for my purposes.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    edited May 2019

The 3 scripts included with Oso Toon Shader for Iray are wonderful time savers.  I understand you developed them along with Djigneo and his LineRender 9000 product.  My problem is I would like to use these scripts, particularly the "MatID to Each Surface.dsa" script, with the Scripted 3Delight - Outline Compositor engine.  There seems to be either a built in limitation of the script and/or a bug in DS's Outline Compositor script.

I started a thread to address this issue and was hoping you could take a look at it and comment on it, i.e., is this a script limitation, a DS bug, or something else.  Thank you!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/330121/

Post edited by FirePro9 on

Update: 

So I changed the script from this: var sOsoColorId = "OutlineColorID";

to this: var sOsoColorId = "OutlineOutlineID";

saved as a new script and IT WORKS!

Now "MatID to Each Surface.dsa" script works with Outline Compositor!

I’d be curious what the results of outline compositer looks like?

Oso3D said:

I’d be curious what the results of outline compositer looks like?

The results are as you might guess, a line around every object and every material.  Very useful as no need for PS to make nice black lines.

This is relevant to my interests! Heh, thanks.

• SaraTSaraT Posts: 58

I really like how flexible this is! I usually compose images together in GIMP that I render using canvases (for lighting composition), so this feels very natural. Here are a couple of renders I did. 

In some cases, I need outlines within the same surface, like for example between different fingers in these images. I solved that by splitting up the surface into smaller surfaces using the geometry editor so that I could give them different colors for the material render pass. Is that the best way to do it, or is there some easier way? (Well, it's not that difficult per se, but the geometry editor user interface in Daz Studio with all those submenus is a little fiddly to work with IMHO.)

Anyway, really enjoying this product. Thanks!

Kenshin_sitting_small.png
    989 x 1600 - 2M
    Kensin_Action_small.png
    1600 x 1600 - 4M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787

SaraT said:

I really like how flexible this is! I usually compose images together in GIMP that I render using canvases (for lighting composition), so this feels very natural. Here are a couple of renders I did. 

In some cases, I need outlines within the same surface, like for example between different fingers in these images. I solved that by splitting up the surface into smaller surfaces using the geometry editor so that I could give them different colors for the material render pass. Is that the best way to do it, or is there some easier way? (Well, it's not that difficult per se, but the geometry editor user interface in Daz Studio with all those submenus is a little fiddly to work with IMHO.)

Anyway, really enjoying this product. Thanks!

Ok, that explains, why I can't get anything interesting out of this product. I only used the regular renders and not composing images afterwards.

Thanks for showing your results - I like them.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

I'm not sure I understand your process completely, but these came out awesome @SaraT  I'll have to go back and play with the shader.  

• SaraTSaraT Posts: 58

Thanks! The basic steps are all in the PDF documentation in the first post, then there's lots of flexibility in what you do with the shading layer. I found that it helped not to have a too realistic skin, this one is Yuzuru. I also used Cartoonized to get more toon-like proportions.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Thanks @SaraT, and I also love Yuzuru and cartoonized.  

• midna133midna133 Posts: 4
    edited March 2021

Hi!

I'm trying to use this shader in a scene that contains a mirror.  I've set everything up and viewport-iray-previewed the flat color, material ID and shading passes, and it looks like the shading pass will show the reflections in the mirror, but the flat color pass will not.  I'm not surprised by this, as I noted the Path Length/light bounces discussion in the manual, but I still need to get the right color for the reflections. Has anyone had to tweak the settings before to get the correct colors for the reflections?  If so, can you advise me on this?  If not, any suggestions?

Thank you.

Post edited by midna133 on
  • When I follow the PDF directions verbatim for the line drawing only, or for solid color with lines, all I get is a black sillouette of all objects.  Am I missing something?

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I'm having an issue with the toon shader and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've had this since it first came out and am only now playing with it. I'm following the PDF. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because my shading render pass is not doing what I expected it to do. @Oso3D or anyone else who's seen this before, anyone know why I'm getting colors on my shading pass? I expected everything to be some shade of gray, but I'm getting color bleeding through from a couple of surfaces. I made sure I selected all surfaces in both the scene and the surface tab before using the scripts and adjusting the settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it supposed to do this? Or is it all supposed to just be shades of gray?

OsoToonShader_Shading Question.png
    625 x 1000 - 297K

It should all be gray. All I can figure is that you didn't actually have the gloves selected for some step. I'd select them and double check it's actually the Oso Toon shader, and that it's set to alternate color.

• I can no longer make step 2 work.I followed the process in the documentation, it only worked for my first attempt with a Michael 8. Now I am manually changing each material ID color. Wjat seems to be the problem? Btw when I try clicking step1,2, and 3, I get an error readong file. The Shader botton works all the time.

The steps aren't meant to be clicked on, they are information about what to do. 

As for the rest, I would need a lot more details about what you attempted. Alternatively, you could fill out a help ticket.