How do Hard edges work? (crease angle in poser terms)

in poser used to define hard edge groups with the grouping tool.
it was a bit of work to setup a diamond ring in poser.

how would you set up crease angle and rigid groups in Carrara?
set up a mix of hard and soft edges on a model?

TYsmiley

Comments

• in the vertex room it should just apply smoothing or hard edges to the bits selected, I recall doing both on different parts of a mesh.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

modelling room.  doh  Thanks smiley

trying to figure out how rara interprets hard edges on the DS geometry
    in the DS3 days, the smoothing was part of the shader settings.  dunno where it is these days

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited February 2018

HI Misty :)

Sub division smoothing has a new side panel option, when you select a genesis-ish type of figure (which is setup for sub-d smoothing).

for previous models (Victoria 4/M4 etc) you need to select the model, jump into the vertex modeler, select a poly, and enable "smooth" in the subdivision panel,.

when you return to the assembly room,. you should have the new Smoothing slider options for that figure.

When carrara "Load's"  any model,. it re-creates the geometry,. from the file vertex data.

in carrara you can select and crease edges in the vertex modeler,. normally edges are smooth,.

there are a couple of examples of using creased edges and subdivision smoothing in the WGDJohn modeling thread ...(soft drinks can model)

Hope it helps :)

smooth option.jpg
    270 x 784 - 71K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on

Thank you smiley

ready for another go at this, in the mornin

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2018

In the vertex room select the edges or mesh you want to be creased, then Model->Crease Edges (or Model->Smooth Edges). You can specify all edges or a creasing angle in the dialog. Creased edges show as blue in the vertex room. (they will stay as creased if you export that mesh back to Studio).

There's no equivalent to setting a creasing angle in the shaders though, so any models you import from DS will need to be hand-creased.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373

when i want sharp edges i send the object as an object file to hexagon and save it as a carrara file and open it in carrara nothing more, and no added geometry

edited February 2018
    dot_bat said:

when i want sharp edges i send the object as an object file to hexagon and save it as a carrara file and open it in carrara nothing more, and no added geometry

does that still work, heard somethin up with hexagon to .car

think i have the old hexagon installer

tysmiley

Post edited by Mistara on

In the vertex room select the edges or mesh you want to be creased, then Model->Crease Edges (or Model->Smooth Edges). You can specify all edges or a creasing angle in the dialog. Creased edges show as blue in the vertex room. (they will stay as creased if you export that mesh back to Studio).

There's no equivalent to setting a creasing angle in the shaders though, so any models you import from DS will need to be hand-creased.

Thanks smiley

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    dot_bat said:

Refer this thread :- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/231316/hexagon-update-has-broken-export-to-carrara-reportedly

If you have Hexagon 2 the Carrara export still works, but does not in the updated versions.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited February 2018
    Bunyip02 said:
    dot_bat said:

Refer this thread :- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/231316/hexagon-update-has-broken-export-to-carrara-reportedly

If you have Hexagon 2 the Carrara export still works, but does not in the updated versions.

mistara didnt specify and assumed it was the previous version of hex. sorry what i meant was send the carrara file as a .obj file to hex then reimport it to carrara or save as a carrara file in hex and open it in carrara if you are using hex 2.5.179 and not the beta

Post edited by dot_bat on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Carrara allows you to select and then "Crease" any edges you want.

there's no need to export to another program,. and in doing that,. "which edges are being creased" ..is it All edges,.?  surely not.

Creasing selected edges of a model , allows you to model with subdivision smoothing enabled. (while maintaining that creased edge) 

it's not common practice to have the entire model with all Creased edges.

this would make it "visually" unaffected by any subdivisions smoothing settings in your 3D program.

If Hexagon is creasing all edges of an imported OBJ file,. when it's saved as a Carrara file,. then that's not right.