A request for Mely3D: changes/improvements to Sailboat

Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501
edited February 2018 in Product Suggestions

I bought this: https://www.daz3d.com/sailboat quite a while ago but haven't really used it; in fact I probably would have returned it if I had known about DAZ's return policy.

OK, so it doesn't have a keel or a rudder (though oddly enough, it does have a bow thruster surprise). I can live with that, although the boat wouldn't get anywhere without them. If I really need an underwater view, I can hang some morphing primitives under the hull.

But the boat also lacks a jib, and the two sails it does have (mainsail and what appears to be a sort of reaching spinnaker) are completely static: can't be moved, posed, or furled. What's more, they certainly wouldn't be trimmed the way they are, regardless of which way the wind was blowing. I could see that when I bought it, but assumed--wrongly--that they could at least be posed. Another problem is the bumpers: no sailor worth his grog would be seen with bumpers dangling from the rail, not when the boat is under way. But they can't be removed, and making them transparent turns parts of the stern-mounted life rings transparent. Likewise the lines they're hanging from.

It's only fair to mention that the interior is very nicely done, and was a major selling point for me. I just wish the exterior was equally well done, and gave the appearance of being able to function as a sailboat.

[ edit/afterthought: even if these and other changes/corrections were offered as a (reasonably priced) add-on, I'd probably spring for it. Maybe others would too. ]

Post edited by Blind Owl on

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Yes I remember it being a major disappointment, as you said the interior is nice, exterior shots at close distance won't really work. I tried to make some morphs for the sails but didn't really look that convincing,(and the sails are hard to remove, you have to make new materials zones), so it's parked in my content library waiting for an update that probably won't happen:( I,ve used it in one render, it's a bit sadindecision!