Gadzooks!!

ElowanElowan Posts: 388
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Do I have to stand on one leg or on my head to export a br6 file out of Bryce Pro 7n?

I ask because I'm trying to export a br6 object as an obj file but am getting nowhere.

I tried the object as a whole and then highlighted individual parts and tried it that way without success.

The object is Victorian Beach House 1890 which I purchased so as to be able to use in Lightwave but in order to do that I have to change it to an obj file (get error trying it in 3ds).

Any thoughts?

Thnx.

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited June 2013

What error are you getting?

I'm not familiar with the model but the .obj format doesn't allow Bryce primitives, you have to change them all to mesh objects before you export.

Also, make sure the whole object is grouped and that you select that group to export.

Hope this helps.

PS: Also try standing on one leg, but only if the month has an 'R' in it, so you might have to wait a little less than 90 days.
    If the month has a 'J' in it, like this month and next month, I think that wearing odd socks helps unless they are more than 30% Yak hair.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited June 2013

What error are you getting?

I'm not familiar with the model but the .obj format doesn't allow Bryce primitives, you have to change them all to mesh objects before you export.

Also, make sure the whole object is grouped and that you select that group to export.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm. Trying that now. Bryce has crashed twice however. Sigh

Isn't that supposed to happen automatically when exporting to obj format?

Post edited by Elowan on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

No I don't think that Bryce automatically converts primitives to mesh objects.

Are you trying to use the bridge or just using the export function directly from Bryce?
    I'd go the direct route.

I'll look up the model you're trying to export and see if I can throw any more detail in.

edited June 2013

Trying to export directly since sending (bridging) to DAZ Studio only works for a few bits of the br6.

BTW - how do I access my inbox in the DAZ forum?

Post edited by Elowan on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

@Elowan - you want to export objects from Bryce 7 to use them in Bryce 6? This is easy enough. Either create a new object library and put everything in it you want for Bryce 6, then copy the library file into the presets\object folder in Bryce 6 and there you are. Or, export the objects out of the library and import them into the objects library of Bryce 6. If the objects are imported as obj, just add them to the objects library. Bryce does the conversion for you.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

Elowan said:

DO you mean your PM inbox. Top left of the forum screen. THere is PM in a box, next to it are the words Private Messages.Click on that

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Elowan said:

DO you mean your PM inbox. Top left of the forum screen. THere is PM in a box, next to it are the words Private Messages.Click on that

Need my eyes checked methinks. TYVM and stay well

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Elowan - you want to export objects from Bryce 7 to use them in Bryce 6? This is easy enough. Either create a new object library and put everything in it you want for Bryce 6, then copy the library file into the presets\object folder in Bryce 6 and there you are. Or, export the objects out of the library and import them into the objects library of Bryce 6. If the objects are imported as obj, just add them to the objects library. Bryce does the conversion for you.

Thnx but I was having trouble exporting a brN file as an object.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Elowan said:
    Horo said:

Thnx but I was having trouble exporting a brN file as an object.

Well the model of the house you're referring to was built in Bryce and as such is not like your typical .obj type model that can be imported/exported into most any 3D program. Now I'm not saying it can't be exported/imported but rather that when doing this with a Bryce built model it's different.

One of the things making this different is Bryce made objects typically involve using Booleans which is a way of merging objects together to create new objects. So in this case the first thing to do is to convert the Booleans to mesh like TheSavage64 told you. Which in case you don't know is accomplished by selecting what you want to convert and then clicking on the [c] in the lettered options that appear next to the selection (same place where the Attributes, Grouping, Editing, etc., options are). Then try exporting it. Now before I replied I tried it since I also own the Victorian Beach House but I didn't have any luck exporting it. So I tried sending it via the bridge to Studio which seemed to work but it was very slow and eventually crashed Bryce and Studio before it finished.