Oxogen hose

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Does any body has any idea how to make a HOSE like this! The Oxogen hose going to the mask! Sort of like a vacuum cleaner hose?

SEE PIC

Picture_22.jpg
573 x 589 - 43K

Comments

• StubbyStubby Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ok, I'm a total noob at this, so bear with me, but... it looks like a cylinder with every other edge selected and looped. Then scaled in till it gives the effect. Gave it a try and came up with this (see pic). If you played around with it enough you could probably get the effect you're looking for. Hope it helps!

hex-example.jpg
    800 x 500 - 63K
  • hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

don't forget to include a "Piddle Pak" in your cockpit for extra authenticity...

:)

• edited December 1969

I think I am just gunnA use a BUMP for the hose RIBS

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited June 2012

1. Draw interpolated curve

1a.Copy it for Interior hose (make invisible - click eye - needed for interior hose)

2. Make circle

3. Thicken circle slightly

4. Copy on support (thickened circle to line 1) Mine was choice 4 to get the rings to line up like that, it may vary on your computer

5. Make line 1 invisible,

5a.make copy on support Group of rings invisible,

5b.make line 1a visible

6. Thicken line until it touches the inner part of rings (may have to try a couple of times)

7. Flex hose made.

7a. Group inner hose with rings and weld if you want same texture, just group if you don't.

Of course there is a communication line that twirls around the air hose, might want to consider a similar method using a stair-stepping line, thicken it and smooth it.

f4_mask_hose.jpg
    800 x 510 - 51K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • edited December 1969

WOW DESIGN that is great! Thanks

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Another, lower poly, method is to make your circle with thickness, delete three inside edge loops. Extrude the edges up and down along Y axis, do multiple copies - I used 50 - along Y axis - experiment with the amount of offset.

Ungroup and weld, then average weld.

Seeing as you are going to rig it in Carrara, leave it straight - it will be easier to rig. To see how it will look bent, you can draw out a line and bend it.

hose2.jpg
    557 x 552 - 38K
    hose1.jpg
    650 x 372 - 25K
  • Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Very clever and efficient Mr. Roygee!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Does any body has any idea how to make a HOSE like this! The Oxogen hose going to the mask! Sort of like a vacuum cleaner hose?

SEE PIC

Very nice. Lots of detail which is great.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited June 2012

A bit late, but thought to add another option:-
    lol, just realized, it is similar to what Roygee as already posted, so removed.
    I must be half asleep,...............

Post edited by stem_athome on
    edited December 1969

Can't take credit for that one - got it from E-Z. After a bit more thought, came up with a better variation and this one is all mine.

Instead of deleting the inner three loops, extract as a new mesh, move up to above the original, squish it down a bit, flip normals, move it down to touch the original and weld, average weld.

Then stack, weld, average weld.

Tested this rigged in Carrara and it works better, more natural movement, with better expansion on the outside of the curve and compression on the inside.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited June 2012

Hi Roygee,

Yes, there are different ways to get the result. When you get more into using voidworld, you will find those types of shapes very easy, without a need to build the tube sections.

- Steve

Post edited by stem_athome on
    edited December 1969

Hi Steve - yes, even at my very tentative exploration stage I've come across some pretty amazing capabilities.