Installing Freak 4 issues

LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I decided to reinstall Freak 4 today, i re-downloaded the exe and ran it but it pops up a warning that it has to be installed in the folder with my Poser exe program.... um ok, so i redirect it to install in a folder that contains my Poser exe, same warning pops up, I have several versions of poser installed so I point it to one of the other versions, same warning pops up. Doesn't matter what version of poser I send it to it keeps popping up the same warning. Just how the heck do you install this figure? I did it before, I had it installed once, so how do I do it again???

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

You need to install to the same location as M4 base. The warning about needing to install to the Poser application folder doesn't apply since Poser7 SR3, but the old installers still have that stupid check for poser.exe (which wouldn't work for Poser Pro anyway, since the executable is named poserpro.exe). 4 ways around it:
    1) create a dummy file named poser.exe in the folder containing the Runtime you want to install to.
    2) select DAZ Studio as the target application -- same files get installed, the only difference is it skips the check for poser.exe
    3) install with DIM
    4) extract manually from the DIM version, in which case you need to run the initialization .bat manually as well.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited June 2013

odd i was installing to the same location as M4

i'll try the dummy poser.exe thing and see if that works.

nope, the dummy exe did not help the problem. I have Poser 7,8,9, PP2010, PP2012 and PP2014 installed and the Freak 4 base wont install to any of them and it won't install to the external runtime where M4 is installed

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
    edited December 1969

You put the poser.exe in the folder with the external runtime?

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

yeah, i got it, it finally worked

i copied the Poser 9 exe to the folder with my external runtime, oddly enough it wouldn't install to the folder that contained the original Poser 9 exe

weird goofy issues

• Patrick TynerPatrick Tyner Posts: 640
    edited December 1969

I have Poser 9, and when I install Freak 4, and Michael 4. Everything appears to install but when I load Freak 4, It has a different face than Michael's but Michael's body. When I inject morphs the head changes but the body stays the same. If I try to spin the dials.....nothing happens.

edited December 1969

I have Poser 9, and when I install Freak 4, and Michael 4. Everything appears to install but when I load Freak 4, It has a different face than Michael's but Michael's body. When I inject morphs the head changes but the body stays the same. If I try to spin the dials.....nothing happens.

How did you install it, and where?

edited December 1969

I used the *.exe file and selected a poser install which directed it to my poser 9 file i the main directory NOT the DOWNLOADS directory. The Freak 4 installed into the same directory as Michael 4.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

If by main directory you mean the application directory, and if you are using Windows Vista or later, it's likely that UAC is interfering with the creation of the needed index files. Also, all expansions for Michael 4, including Freak 4, need to go to the same content directory as Michael 4 base.

edited December 1969

Yes everything installs in the main runtime directory with the Freak 4 going into the same character file as Michael 4. I am running this on Windows 8, how can I prevent the UAC from interfering?

edited December 1969

Yes everything installs in the main runtime directory with the Freak 4 going into the same character file as Michael 4. I am running this on Windows 8, how can I prevent the UAC from interfering?

I don't think you can, at least I haven't found a way. You need to keep your runtimes out of Program Files/Program Files (86) -- Poser 8 and up have that as an option on install. You can even install Poser outside of Program Files if you prefer having the runtimes and the application in the same place.