How do I make a snake/worm like creature?

I was wondering how do I make a snake/worm like creature in Hexagon?   There is the cylander tool but I have not figured out how to make it go sidewards,  unless there is a way that I am missing.

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,158

Are you wanting to make a creature for rigging in DS or Poser? Or just a static "prop" snake/worm?

Have you thought of using the curve tools from "Lines" to create a curved line as its basis, then a small circle, then doing a "Sweep Line" from the "Surface Modelling" tab to make it into a bendy cylinder?

(I was just taking a look at Fugasi's Hexagon instructional videos bought recently from the store last night!)

• Bunch of ways. Lines with thickness. Bending long cylinders. Extrusion.

• I don't think Fugasi's tutorial will show you how to make a snake/worm. But a modified cylinder will get you started. You could pause the video and take a screen grab of the snake Smay created, then follow the video along and rig it in DAZ Studio -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cyxhir31Ng

Fugasi's Hex Tutorials -I have not got the one where he makes a tower, but I have the other two. DAZ Studio has moved on a little bit but the basic principals are the same - Good tutorials and well worth the money :)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,723

I want to rig the snake/worm but not sure if it will be just for Studio or poser.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839

I was wondering how do I make a snake/worm like creature in Hexagon?   There is the cylander tool but I have not figured out how to make it go sidewards,  unless there is a way that I am missing.

Lesson 1: You can rotate objects.

Lesson 2: The axis along which an object is created depends on the viewport angle.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2018

Well, you can not only rotate objects but you can also rotate/tilt/twist/scale a ring (one of the "segments" if you will) within a cylindrical object as you go along.

Here I have tilted (relative to the eye of the viewer) one of the rings down a bit (red arrow) and I've also moved it downwards a bit (green arrow) all while I had it selected.

Don't forget to validate, and save often!

(Edit) There are lots of tube/worm/snake/tentacle models out there to play with. I wonder if making a worm or cylinder "wiggle" is the best starter project though; in a primitive cylinder the segments are called rings in Hexagon (when you select the group of edges that they're made of, in order to work with them) and this clash of terminology may be a bit hard to follow for some people.

Here are a couple more example screen shots. First I am looking at the cylinder from directly above, ergo the Top View. From this angle it's easy to alternately push/pull on some segments to make the "worm" sort of wiggle. Yet the moment you switch to more of a perspective view the "wiggling" becomes hard to see... for this reason I've pulled harder on the segments, exaggerating the distortion if you will to make the "wiggles" clearer. The default color for a selected ring or "loop" of edges in Hexagon is usually azure blue if that helps. Hope this makes sense.

(Edit March 9, 2018 - I am still having trouble with the concept of the "sections" of the worm or snake. Some of my terminology may have been, and may still, be incorrect. Sorry.)

modify-a-ring-or-loop.jpg
    782 x 415 - 20K
    top-view-shows-exaggerated-segments-for-'wiggle'.jpg
    984 x 388 - 31K
    wiggle2.jpg
    925 x 1086 - 71K
    Post edited by Roman_K2 on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

Can't believe no one has posted this:

god-makes-snakes.jpg
    660 x 827 - 76K
  • wwes said:

Can't believe no one has posted this:

Probably because it has nothing to do with Hexagon modeling.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Probably because it has nothing to do with Hexagon modeling.

Aw c'mon... I for one have trouble with *Hexagon* modelling and the whole umbrella or overhead approach but for me, *clay* is a cinch. For those who prefer a more "tactile" approach to modelling the cartoon's a great little satire of Hexagon and Sculpey, Blender et al. smiley

Like the song says "He took a hundred pounds of clay, and then he said, Hey Listen..."

clay-head-first-try-roman.jpg
    254 x 181 - 18K
  • Technically, profiles can be used in Hexagon to lathe out various snake shapes.