Rigging Models for Use in Carrara

13»

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:
    Mistara said:

minotaur 6 needs a whole new carrara rigged tail.

existing tail has like a mud flap on the body end

I think the existing tail is done with a geograft.  Maybe try creating a conforming figure (shorts with tail), and then make the shorts' alpha invisible?

been playing with the geobandaid concept.  then started thinking the existing tail not worth the level of effort.  i dont have poses for the tail

horns converted to prop smiley

testing a new theory, the geobandaid doesnt need an actual morph, just the name of the morph to flow down to the legs

transfer skeleton tutt percolating ideas  lol.  
    thinkin, exporting g8f in her subd hd mesh, see if the skeleton will transfer with face rig working.  >.< 
    lookin for the hd morph workaround.  only thing i can think of is a hd base figure
    i want all my actors to be standalone base figures anyhows.  will only need the hd for closeups.
    and mebbe try a head and hands only figure. for 'pedestrians; strolling about the village. wouldnt need innermouth.

day almost over already, too much dreamin, not enough doing

project snacks!!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Today I experimented with puppety eyes with eyelids that open and close. Here are some results using a skeleton on the outer sphere for the eyelids. The bones are splayed out like a fan on top and bottom and rotate from the center of the sphere. The oval eye is attached to a Target Helper scaled up on the Z axis. It's not perfect but maybe it will spark some ideas for someone.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945

Good grief at first they looked like lopsided puppety genitalia....... then....... they blinkedsurprise

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited April 2019

Lol Wendy! Yeah, I should have included more of a face... I think I can change the thumbnail image YouTube picked. It is a bit open to interpretation...

EDIT: There, maybe that's a little friendlier

Post edited by DesertDude on
  • I'm bringing up an old thread in hopes of getting some ideas.  Props to Diomede for starting it.

I imported a human character into Carrara.  The rigging imported but didn't work, so I decided to try some rigging myself.

Mostly following Cripeman's tutorial, the rigging went fairly smoothly.  During the process, I referenced a Daz figure for how bones should generally be placed.

When finished, everything worked.  All the joints rotated.  However, the amount of the model affected was huge.  For example, when I rotated the shoulder downwards to get out of the T pose, a lot of that side of the character ollapsed inwards as well.  Hip and knee rotating met with similarly rough results.

How do you isolate the limbs (mostly) and keep the rest of the body in place?

All I did was set a sleleton in place and attach it.  I did not weightpaint, as I haven''t found a video tutorial that explains it yet.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,856

ahhhh..... weight painting one use must devil

much fun wink

edited November 2022

it took me a long time to get sorta kinda ok with weight painting just by experimenting.... no tutorials that I know of... 

it can be lovingly frustrating to start with but once the penny drops it gets easier angel

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited November 2022

some things I do when I bone something

usually, the bone is too big to start with so I scale down to suit my model which can be as low as 20% but mostly 50%

that first bone rename it 'hip' and place it near where a hip would be

then I add the other bones going up the backbone first and finish at the head

then rename all the bones to suit eg... belly - mid - chest - neck - head ( this helps later when you start to weight paint )

then I select the chest and run off that a shoulder - arm - elbow and hand

then seleing the top view I select the hand bone and scale it down to around 15 - 20% ... this is because I find less weight painting is needed as long as the bones are smaller than the mesh.. then I start adding thumb and fingers with the joints

then I do the same for the thigh - leg - knee - foot - toe

then if I'm not going to make separate clothing items I just duplicate the arm and legs with symmetry and rename the new ones to suit the side they are on..

attach skeleton to model and start weight painting... I untick the 3d sphere brush but be careful using that method as when you paint it will paint whatever is behind it.. I just find it easier and quicker ... select subtract from the parts of mesh you don't want to move and select add to paint the ones you want... that should get you started I hope...

Oh.. select the bone from the drop menu eg.. arm to see what is already auto weight painted and just start subtracting and adding .. I usually start with the head... then shoulders then elbow then legs....

then minor adjustments to the belly chest ect... I find I don't have to do anything with the fingers they work well id done as I mentioned above... wink

I'll try and make a video this week using the Gilligan model I did yesterday... 

my keyboard can't keep up with my typing - sorry for any typos.. cool

Island Beat.png
    800 x 600 - 609K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088

Here is an example.  Rigging a silly alien model. Start at this comment and then several related follow, with screengrabs.  Hope it helps.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3068781/#Comment_3068781

• Thank you Stezza and Diomede!

I just experimented on weightpainting the shoulders, and improved from disaster to terrible.smiley  A lot of variables to experience and understand.  I have a new appreciation for the "primitive" V1 figure.

Stezza, you said "then if I'm not going to make separate clothing items I just duplicate the arm and legs with symmetry..."

The figure I imported has some clothing items (pants and shirt).  Do I need to rig them separately, or can I in some way use the rig I created for the character?

edited November 2022

Rigging in general.  The weight brush tool is fine.  I also find it useful to select large regions of polygons in problem areas and remove problem bones.  For exmple, it is common for the upper arm to influence the armpit and the side of the chest in an undesirable way.  Can use the weight brush negative and try to paint it away.  Can also go to the bone tab of animation mode in the vertex modeler and use the tab for 'remove bone' to delete problems.  In this example, I selected a bunch of polygons in the upper left side of the torso.  Checking weights of bones influencing at least one polygon in the area, I see that the left shoulder (upper arm) is still influencing 1%.  Probably not a problem but this is just for illustration.  I can use the 'remove bone' drop down menu and just delete the left shoulder from influencing the selected region at all.  There are some common problem areas like armpits/arms, and fingers affecting each other, and chin/neck.  It can be convenient to use the bone tab to quickly add or remove bones from large problem areas.  Just make sure to go back and check where the weight got sent.  Sometimes an undesireable hip add will occur.

On clothing.  Couple of options.  If they are unrigged, one option is to select the skeleton that you created for the figure and the clothing mesh at the same time, then go to the animation tab at the top of the Assemble room, and choose 'attach skeleton.'  Results vary, but you can use the standard tools of weight brush and morphs to fix.

cc03b select underarm in animation mode of vertex modeler and use remove bone and remove arms and hand bones note check where it went copy.jpg
    1555 x 932 - 241K
    cc04b drop down menu can see lshoulder is there could remove it.jpg
    1327 x 923 - 218K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited November 2022

On the clothing that comes with the figure.  I mentioned the 'attach skeleton' method.  You are likely to get some poke through.  Here is a long-dead thread on a variety of ways to fix poke through when clothing is 'attached' to the same skeleton as a rigged figure.  One of my earliest Carrara forum posts.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29483/five-ways-to-fix-poke-through-without-using-conforming-figures/p1

Post edited by Diomede on

UnifiedBrain said:

Stezza, you said "then if I'm not going to make separate clothing items I just duplicate the arm and legs with symmetry..."

The figure I imported has some clothing items (pants and shirt).  Do I need to rig them separately, or can I in some way use the rig I created for the character?

yep, for speed that's how I do it.. but if you want to  transfer that rig to some clothing it will get messed up when you conform it to the figure.. to overcome this every bone in your main figure has to be created and not duplicated.. takes for time and more fiddly for precision. There is something in the duplicate with symmetry bones that doesn't work.

Great info @Diomede

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945
    edited November 2022

you start to see issues with duplication using symmetry FBX or Collada exporting to other software 

in particular Poser and Blender

iClone is OK until you try to export it again 

Unreal seems OK with it

oh the horror I have been boning in DAZ studio lately instead

More work initially  but once you have a humanoid rig you can use the transfer utility on others

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Diomede, Stezza, Wendy - many thanks!  Some very interesting and timely tips.

I'm still digesting and experimenting.  But for sure, at this point I can rig a model and clothing good enough to pose for a still render.  So that alone is a degree of success.

For animations though, I have a LONG way to go. :)