Best Tutorials for Spaceships, Mechs, and military vehicles.

I've decided to dive into modeling using Hexagon (starting this weekend).  I've been collecting all of the basic tutorials you all have so graciously posted.  Once, I get the basics down, I’m primarily interested in creating spaceships (Capital ships [priority], support ships, star fighters. etc), Mechs (think Robotech, Gundam, but realistic), and heavy military vehicles.  Are there any good tutorials specific to those things? I saw one at Rendo for $10, but if there are free ones, I’d prefer those. 

I’m not looking to be a PA.  I just want to create stuff for my own use.  There are a lot of great models out there, but I can’t always find exactly what I’m looking for.  Plus, I can’t access any of the stuff on Foundation3D.

Comments

• The most you will find are car modeling videos on YouTube. Spaceships and other vehicles are made the same way. If you've used a polygon modeler before, Hexagon is extremely easy to pickup on.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533

The most you will find are car modeling videos on YouTube. Spaceships and other vehicles are made the same way. If you've used a polygon modeler before, Hexagon is extremely easy to pickup on.

I'm a complete noob.  I've used Poser and Daz to make art, but I've never done modeling.  The closest thing would be working with primatives.

• tkdrobert said:

I'm a complete noob.  I've used Poser and Daz to make art, but I've never done modeling.  The closest thing would be working with primatives.

Ok. So you're like me then when I didn't know how to do this stuff. What I did was spend a weekend reading through, and trying out, all of this.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/hexagon/2/referenceguide/start

And then practice doing all kinds of simple models to get the hang of the modeling tools.

tkdrobert said:

Ok. So you're like me then when I didn't know how to do this stuff. What I did was spend a weekend reading through, and trying out, all of this.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/hexagon/2/referenceguide/start

And then practice doing all kinds of simple models to get the hang of the modeling tools.

Thank you, l have a starting point and a plan.

Well I managed to make a mug and learn some basics, but I didn't get as far as I wanted to this weekend.  Oh well, it's a start.

I Made a Mug

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited February 2018

Mugs, ice cubes, liquid in mugs, condensation drips on mugs.

Then onto rocketships and starkillers.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,368

Not specifically for spaceships but the Gary Miller geeyatplay tutorials are very good for getting a person familair with Hexagon3d potential.   There is a buy option but if you click the link under the image it gives a long list of all the tutorials as youtube videos, focused on all sorts of techniques in modelling.  It includes car modelling which would lay the foundation for military vehicles.

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon-tutorials.php

Not specifically for spaceships but the Gary Miller geeyatplay tutorials are very good for getting a person familair with Hexagon3d potential.   There is a buy option but if you click the link under the image it gives a long list of all the tutorials as youtube videos, focused on all sorts of techniques in modelling.  It includes car modelling which would lay the foundation for military vehicles.

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon-tutorials.php

I found those and I'm slowly going through them.  I started the "trash can" tutorial last night, but was too tired to get very far.  Hopefully this weekend, I'll be more productive.