Wacky Modelling ~ In Carrara ~

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079

Alan must be with Alexander and Alexandra, maybe negotiating their next gig.

Josie is passed out leaning against the drums.  Melody is on Spaceghost's lap.  Valerie is in a chair by the scifi drink menu.  Jace is offering a ring to Judy.  Jan is lying across the back of one of the TMNT.  The TMNT and Elroy are passed out on the floor.  The spaceghost teen foce monkey chaacter is sprinting across the back of the room, and the Jetson's maid is trying to clean up.

Those really are wacky cars.  yes

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

lol

I think we have too much fun with Carrara wink

wow.. that lightburn zeta is really wacky!!

edited May 2018

Today I modeled Gumby & Pokey

again......... boned them both as well..

Also recieved my Beanie 4 Brain Cancer today before the big chill hits us tomorrow..
    #CarriesBeanies4BrainCancer
    Those on twitter can check it out.

Gumby n Pokey Toon.jpg
    582 x 541 - 156K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

woahh... a few too many cornettos and chips by the looks of it!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    Stezza said:

woahh... a few too many cornettos and chips by the looks of it!

.... and I thought in the family way

the mind boggles

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Another wacky vehicle.

This is still a work in progress. More detail to add inside the cockpit, and I still have to work on the undercarriage.
    Seems like I've been working on this forever. I'll never match Stezza's modeling speed.

My biggest problem is reference images. It seems that the animators can't decide on what details to draw from scene to scene. So it's not possible to model a perfectly accurate representation.

Rick's flying car.

@de3an that's an awesome model.. I've never heard of Rick and Morty... my kids have all grown up and my grandchildren are watching Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol ... not at the next level yet lol

yes

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Thanks Stezza.

"Rick and Morty" is definitely not a children's cartoon. It airs during the Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" time slot. Don't know if you guys have that down-under.

It's hard to describe. It's not quite like any other program I've watched. Kind of a cross between Back to the Future and Doctor Who, but ten times crazier and politically incorrect. (but involves inter-dimensional travel rather than time travel.) We're currently in the looooong wait between season 3 and (hopefully) season 4 of the series.

If you want to see just how crazy the series is, try to find the "Pickle Rick" episode. (The only thing you need to know going in, is that Rick is a super scientist/genius.)

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited May 2018

I bought both of these models when they were on sale, many, many, years ago. Have you seen them, and are they still in the store all these years later? I bought them because I am a big fan of the old 1930 and 1940s theater serials of Flash Gordon, one of the serials with the great opening music by Franz Liszt.

Rocket Ship Retro Style
    http://posercontent.com/vehicles-for-poser/rocket-ship-retro-style

Authors: KuroKuma, DAZ Originals

Rocketship Mongo
    http://posercontent.com/vehicles-for-daz-studio-and-poser/rocketship-mongo

Authors: KuroKuma, DAZ Originals

Rocketship Mongo a.jpg
    500 x 650 - 53K
    Rocket Ship Retro Style e.jpg
    500 x 650 - 65K
    Rocket Ship Retro Style a.jpg
    500 x 650 - 59K
    Post edited by Retro Lad on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

I bought both of these models when they were on sale, many, many, years ago. Have you seen them, and are they still in the store all these years later? 

Yes, I have both and they take me back to the early TV SciFi shows.  They are in my product library, but no link to "View Product Store Page", so apparently no longer for sale at DAZ.  Here is a 3 minute animation I did with one of them (shows up ~1:11):

edited May 2018

Steve K ,

During a period in my later teens, between 16 and 19, I made a few "arty" Super 8 films with friends. No home computers in those days, and no digital cameras. Each roll of Super 8 film lasted only a few minutes, was not cheap, and had to be developed which took a week.

How long did it take you to make the animation you posted, from start to finish? Does it require a very high-end home computer, or can an animation such as yours be created these days in a modest desktop Graphics Intensive computer say in the 700 hundred to 900 dollar range?

Post edited by Retro Lad on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

You can certainly use a fairly modest computer to do animation these days and Carrara is a great tool to do it with. I have done commercial animation work on my laptop.

By today's standards my modest desktop computer is very modest so it's basically the rendering time that would present some problems I would assume. My older brother was planning to help me out with a newer, faster, desktop computer but his bank account was just robbed by computer hackers so that is out.

edited May 2018

Started on my next wacky model today with a cylinder.... let's see where I end up!

start with a cylinder.jpg
    703 x 544 - 69K
    Post edited by Stezza on

I am creating a new base claymation figure for myself.  It is to replace Don Coyote as my Rankin Bass toon style figure.  My whole approach will change.  Instead of toon or cell shaded filters I plan to go for something similar to stop motion.

jj01 rankin bass figure 1.JPG
    1681 x 964 - 234K
    jj02 ranking bass.JPG
    1758 x 961 - 163K
    edited May 2018

will we see a Jimminy Cricket?

got this far on my cylinder today...... 

fred.jpg
    640 x 480 - 94K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

yabbadabbadoo thats good Stez yes

thanks Wendy smiley 

I totally crashed Carrara and the file when I boned him!
    Luckily I had a pre-boned backup mesh a few steps back to retrieve and try again... dunno why it crashed and totally wasted the file though angry

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Stezza - a great Fred!

Yabba Dabba Dooooo!  Tremendous job.  Sorry about the crash.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Willlma smiley  

they had a magic martian guest star iirc

Steve K ,

During a period in my later teens, between 16 and 19, I made a few "arty" Super 8 films with friends. No home computers in those days, and no digital cameras. Each roll of Super 8 film lasted only a few minutes, was not cheap, and had to be developed which took a week.

Apparently Steven Spielberg was also a big 8mm movie creator in his youth, leading much later to the movie "Super 8", which I enjoyed a lot.  Spielberg produced and J.J. Abrams directed, 7.0 at IMDB.  My only live action video started with digital cameras with video features.  I still enjoy it, but its hard to find something to shoot for a short (~5 minutes).  One I enjoyed doing was "East Texas Dirt Track":

How long did it take you to make the animation you posted, from start to finish? Does it require a very high-end home computer, or can an animation such as yours be created these days in a modest desktop Graphics Intensive computer say in the 700 hundred to 900 dollar range?

Usually they take 2 - 3 weeks, off and on.  For years I've been buying fairly high spec machines since animation is my main hobby.  Core i7, fairly good graphics card.  So I dunno about lower spec machines, I'll defer to PhilW's comment above.  I generally get about  5-10 seconds per frame using fairly simple setups, with no indirect lighting or similar.  A lot of the time is spent on the story, blocking, testing camera angles, sound effects, music, post production FX  e.g. Particle Illusion, etc., not just animation rendering.  For me, its an immersive hobby that can keep me up late when it gets interesting.

Steve K,

Does the Core i7 have 8 cores. My computer has only 6 cores and 10 or 12 Ram, an AMD graphics card, and 3 Gig herzt. That is probably not very good for animation.

What is amazing about the digital cameras of the last 15 years, or so, is the easy ability to get great looking imagery without having to fumble about with a bunch of controls as with the old 35 millimeter cameras, and Super 8 home movie cameras. I remember what a chore it was to fiddle with home 35 millimeter camera controls in the hope of getting the right exposure settings, and half the time the developed pictures were too dark, or too light, maybe a bit blurry, etc., and you had to get the pictures developed.

I assume you didn't need fancy light setups for your East Texas digital film, which would have been the case with Super 8 which was impossible to use at night without elaborate lighting lamps. The clarity, and color, of your film is amazing. I have a good digital camera and except for rare occasions I just shoot a picture and it looks fine, and I can see it instantly and not have to wait for a week to get it developed, and no annoying fiddling with bottons and knobs.

I almost went to film school, but that is another story ... Flash Speilberg, ha, hah, maybe in an alternate universe .... but then again maybe Flash Wood, as in Ed Wood maker of Plan 9 From Outer Space

plan12.jpg
    640 x 480 - 80K

Steve K,

Does the Core i7 have 8 cores. 

Yes, it show eight cores in Windows Task Manager, but I think its multi-threaded ... hardware is not my long suit.  

I assume you didn't need fancy light setups for your East Texas digital film, which would have been the case with Super 8 which was impossible to use at night without elaborate lighting lamps. The clarity, and color, of your film is amazing. I have a good digital camera and except for rare occasions I just shoot a picture and it looks fine, and I can see it instantly and not have to wait for a week to get it developed, and no annoying fiddling with bottons and knobs.

Correct, I just pointed it and hit "record".  Thanks for the kind words, but I give credit to the Canon Powershot camera with its 35x Zoom that is dead quiet on the sound recording.  

I almost went to film school, but that is another story ... Flash Speilberg, ha, hah, maybe in an alternate universe .... but then again maybe Flash Wood, as in Ed Wood maker of Plan 9 From Outer Space

My favorite Spielberg movie is probably still "Jaws", but I get a big kick out of Ed Wood films.  Roger Ebert in his review of the movie "Ed Wood" (1994, 7.9 at IMDB): "Edward D. Wood Jr. must have been the Will Rogers of filmmaking: He never directed a shot he didn't like. It takes a special weird genius to be voted the Worst Director of All Time, a title that Wood has earned by acclamation. He was so in love with every frame of every scene of every film he shot that he was blind to hilarious blunders, stumbling ineptitude, and acting so bad that it achieved a kind of grandeur. But badness alone would not have been enough to make him a legend; it was his love of film, sneaking through, that pushes him over the top."  

Stezza,    'Started on my next wacky model today with a cylinder.... let's see where I end up!"

How about "The Master Cylinder" from the old Felix the Cat cartoons. You could probably make my Cryll character model with one sphere in an hour, but I am just learning so it's mostly learning what not to do, as well as what to do, to create a character in my case.

Your Fred Flinstone is very good.

How about using a "cone" to start with, and I attached a classic cone monster from the fabulous 50s as inspiration for you.

it1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 135K
    edited May 2018

thanks everyone heart

@FlashGarcia the cone monster would be a good starting point for you... go for it.. nothing ventured nothing gained.. smiley

I boned Fred but haven't weight painted him ... yuk..... rrrrrrrrrrr

but today I did model Fred's Dino Crane 

freds dino crane.jpg
    927 x 692 - 218K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited May 2018

quick render with postwork smiley

Post edited by Stezza on
This discussion has been closed.