PLY import to Daz? (how?)

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Apparently Blender and 3d Studio can import PLY files. How can Daz? (plugin? two step transfer?). Thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,021
    edited December 1969

I don't know what that is, but it isn't a supported format certainly - you'd need something that could convert to a supported format.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited June 2013

The Reality plugin for Daz Studio will export to PLY at render time, but as far as I am aware there are no importers available at present. Richard, the PLY is literally short for 'polygon' and is mostly used for 3D scanners. It's a text based document, so it would probably be easy enough to write a converter for, but I've never heard of one existing yet.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

You can always use blender or an other toll (meshlab?) to save as an Obj and import in DS

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Native plymesh import and export in Studio would be pretty nice to have. A lot of stuff is out there on the web in plymesh format, especially scanned objects. It's a much more flexible format that OBJ is.

But for now, your best bet is to load the plymesh into meshlab and then save it as an OBJ.

• edited December 1969

thanks all. sounds like meshlab imp/exp for the non-plugin solution

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

For those that are curious, more detailed info on the plymesh format is available here: http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/ply/