The Artist in me

ExperimenterExperimenter Posts: 162
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

I hope this is the right place for my question.

I have a few ideas for this month new user contest but they are all part of a storieline for me. What should I do. The picture is not right for me without the rest of the storieline. What is your opinion about my Problem with single pics?

Another question of this art: I nearly can not make a single picture with out a backroundstory. How does it work in your creatingprocess?

Thank you

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I hope this is the right place for my question.

I have a few ideas for this month new user contest but they are all part of a storieline for me. What should I do. The picture is not right for me without the rest of the storieline. What is your opinion about my Problem with single pics?

Another question of this art: I nearly can not make a single picture with out a backroundstory. How does it work in your creatingprocess?

Thank you

some times I use a story - all depends on what program I use .

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Sometimes just putting together some bits suggests a story. If I write the story, it suggests other scenes with those characters. It is a reciprocal process. As for submitting an image out of context, could you write a narrative paragraph to go with the submission that would set the stage better?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

For me I try to get the viewer to make up or think about the "story" or as I like to put it "interpretation". For me it is all about an emotional response, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, sometimes there is no story at all.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited June 2013

An image taken out of its proper context in a broader storyline can still work as a stand-alone piece, particularly if it conveys a sense of emotion, or of continuing action: we can see what is happening to the characters, but also infer either a bit of what has gone before, or what's likely going to happen next, or even both. Consider things like:

- What is the point of view or perspective of the image? What is the setting (and what does it suggest or imply to the viewer)?
    - Who is the focal character? What is he or she doing? Who or what is he or she looking at? What sort of emotion is evident on his or her face?
    - What is the character's motivation or goal? Is it clear to the viewer?
    - Is there some sort of conflict or struggle going on (physical, mental, emotional, etc.)? It could be a conflict that's clear to the viewer, or one that's merely implied...
    - Who else is in the scene, and what is their role? How are they interacting (if at all) with the focal character?
    - Are there some hints or evidence of what has happened before this point?
    - Are there some signs or portents of what is going to happen next?

Note that these are just things to think about...they aren't necessary for your image to be an interesting or visually appealing one...but thinking about them may help you get to that point.

Some more of my thoughts on the subject (the following was written not in response to your post, but for a different project):

While a good render can sometimes result from just playing around to see what develops, it may be helpful if you have a concept in mind at the beginning. Regardless of whether you’re rendering a portrait, an action scene, a still-life, a landscape, or something different, you should ask yourself the following questions:
    Who or what is the visual focus of the image?
    What story does this image tell?
    What mood or emotion am I trying to convey?

Not every image needs to have a story behind it, but most of the better ones do, in my opinion. Look at examples of artwork or illustrations (digital or traditional media) that are similar in some way to what you’d like to do, and think about the inherent story in them. Look in the DAZ 3D store at promotional images for various products (especially products you’re planning to use in your render)--although some of these are simple renders showing what the product is, many promo images have a strong sense of mood and plot. Even if yours doesn’t have much of a story, in order to ensure that your image has visual and emotional impact on viewers, it is important to have a focal point and a mood.

Hope the above is helpful...I'm more of a narrative person than an art person, and forging a connection between the two is something that interests me.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited June 2013

I know your dilemma. I am constantly writing bits and pieces of stories in my mind (and on - mostly digital - paper, but let's not go there). That inevitably mixes with mt dabblings in 3D, but tries to interfere with practising, because I take my characters rather seriously ;) I found a way around that.

I basically have two types of images:

- Ones that I make to try things out and that goes from new items (clothes, backgrounds - you name it) to lighting and poses. And beyond. For those images, I have what I call my Test Subjects: four characters without a set background or story. They mix and match and travel through time. Those images usually don't tell much in the way of a story and are usually images for the sake of images (though they are trying to develop personalities, beep them! ;) )

- Images that involve my Real Characters: the ones that mean something. There's plenty of room for interpretation there, but yes, the images I make with them, are mostly bases on scenes from their stories. In those I try to convey emotions, make it clear that something happened before and something will happen after. Personallly, I don't feel that they images on their own lack something or need more explanation.

Basically, what I'm trying to say it.. Let the images speak for themselves. I'm sure you can :)

Post edited by mori_mann on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm in the process of setting up a rather large scene right now, for me this group image is a challenge because I need to convey unity of the group and yet each individual needs to show personality of their own. Will take much thought to do.

• ExperimenterExperimenter Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your answers.
    They are very helpful.
    Thank you