Statue hair

A good product might be hair for a figure that is shaped to look like the hair of a carved statue. (Like, say the hair of Michelangelo's David, or of the Venus de Milo. A stone (marble) shader applied to this hair and to the figure would make it look like the whole lot (body and hair) were carved out of the same block of stone. Maybe specific statue mats could also be created for such a product, along with something to automatically set the eyelashes to invisible. 

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,888
    edited March 2018

For Genesis: https://www.daz3d.com/sculptural-genesis-ultra-fun-kit

Does this have hair, or were shaders just applied to existing hair?

Post edited by barbult on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,492

Any stone shader applied to a non-transmapped hair should work well for this. I've had success with toon hairs in the past.

(From a create-a-character contest several years back)

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

A lot of the time normal stone shaders applied to a hair can look good. It all depends how the hair was modeled. But even the flat strands can be decent as long as they are rounded to the shape of the head.

• Applying stone shader to normal hair tends to make it look like the hair is made out of strips of paper, or sometimes banana skins. It doesn't replicate the look of the carved hair of classical statues.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

To convert transmap hair to stone hair, I would exaggerate any bump map (if possible).

Also see if you can convert the opacity map so that it's more black and white.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

I tried a few at random, and see that while some might work from a distance, the issue that jumps out at me with many is that it they seem to commonly have flat 2D strips curled around with space between them and the head rather than everything being carved from a solid stone piece.  Another approach (until somebody finds or makes the product you are looking for) might be to hand-paint displacement directly onto the figure's head, which might create a more realistic appearance since in a sense you actually are sculpting from one solid object.  Of course it might be significant work, but possibly could yield close to the desired result.

If you could find an actual statue model with the hair you want, possibly you could hide surfaces other than the hair and then use that for the hair.  There would probably be a noticeable seam, but perhaps it could be disguised with a headband or something under certain circumstances.  I tried searching the store for statue, ran across this, although it's not the same as the two art pieces mentioned but perhaps still useful.  https://www.daz3d.com/lorez-statues-i

• The last link makes me think... Something else that might be nice would be something to replicate broken limbs on a statue, like an arm has been snapped off. But yes, the statue hair product wold be desirabe, given the problems with the other methods mentioned.