Symmetry tool selection in panel now missing

SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
edited June 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Guess this isn't my week! I had it up until recently in a project I was working on, and now I don't have it at all in either that project or in any new modelling, ie a simple vertex cube. In the tool panel it goes:

Subdivision
Displacement
Shading Domain

It used to be as in the manual.... between Displacement and Shading Domain and the buttons for x,y,z. And I'd get that nice green line down the cenre if I chose x for example.

I can't find anything in the top toolbar menu or icons or in preferences. Nothing! I've opened other files I been learning vertex modelling with where I've used it before (like on faces) and the tool just isn't there. I have the option to centre the symmetry plane on selection in the drop down menu but nothing happens. Have I broken something?

Thanks...sorry to be a newbie pain. I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall if I can help it.......

SileneUK

ETA: I can enable symmetry for painting a hair growth region. But not for vertex modelling.

ETA 2: Well, I downloaded Beta to run in a separate folder and the symmetry tool is there....woo-hoo! I had tried re-downloading my copy of C-8 and kept coming up with the missing panel.

So I shall carry on with learning things using Beta until DAZ tech responds which can take about a week from my last experience. I saw the deadline for the serial number coming up so thought I'd try it anyways although I doubt I will be using the enhancements for a very long time so I shouldn't get into trouble....fingers crossed.

Post edited by SileneUK on

Comments

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

This is usually due to Carrara Pro reverting back to a Standard version. Symmetry vertex modeling is a Pro only feature. If I recall, when I had the Standard version, it will show the displacement and symmetry centering options in the vertex modeler, but they are disabled(just a text leftover). I wrote a bug report a while ago about Standard feature issues. The Hair symmetry is a Standard feature as far as I know.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Am indebted to you twice today. I don't have Pro, but I bought my C-8 last month and it has been working fine. Will see what the tech dept at DAZ says. I am happy using Beta now as the tool works fine there. And there's lots of other goodies which I am happy to have as well.

Thanks again,

SileneUK

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Selene

When you first install Carrara,. (whether it's the demo / trial version, the Standard version, or Pro) it will install as the Full "Pro version", with all the tools available (so you can try it), and it'll run like that for 30 days, at which time It'll "time out" depending on the version, and return to Standard or Pro,. depending on the serial number you use to register it.

so if you decide to buy, (after using the demo / trail) or stick with the Standard version, ..or upgrade to pro,. the program remains the same, and all you need is the serial number.

it just makes it easier to deal with, since all versions are the same program file.

Hope that helps

edited June 2013

Hi 3DAGE

I obviously missed something. Symmetry is such a basic tool... Hexagon has it...good grief. Will it carry on with Beta or will I lose it there as well????

Thanks, SileneUK

ETA.... can you upgrade to Pro or do you have to buy it as a separate item? I wished they hadn't put it in there to start with. That is what is confusing.

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Selene :)

Yes,. I know how frustrating it can be when tools stop working,. (many have walked that path before you) and Yes, you can upgrade to pro, from Standard or there should be an upgrade option, but thanks to the new Daz3D web site, I'm not sure that the option exists as a store item,. but it was being worked on to add it,.
    You can contact Daz support, or sales,. and ask about upgrading from standard to pro.
    the sales staff are always helpful when it comes to taking more money :)

The 8.5 beta will work as the full Pro version, and will be replaced when the next beta version is available,. so yes, it'll work as normal. since both are installed into different folders, and have different serial numbers and preferences.

Although,. with the Beta of 85, due for release,. it may be worth holding off for an upgrade from Standard 8, to Pro 8.5
    there's normally a discount or sale, to promote the new version.

technically,. Hexagon is a Full Pro application, there's no demo or standard version. so, no limit on features.

When you think about it,. it makes sense to have the Demo / 30day Trial version, with access to all of the features of Carrara,. and the Standard version works that way to allow you to use / test all of the tools for 30 days (Daz3D's standard 30day return policy) so that you can upgrade to pro if you need those features.
    of course if would be nice to know that, ...before the features disable themselves.

The alternative would be, to have three different builds of carrara, with different features removed or disabled completely, and still working normally.
    so it's an easier option for development and distribution and support,. to have a single application which functions in different ways depending on the registration info.

hope it helps

Andy.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Andy...I will wait to see what offers are on for Pro 8.5

Yes, it would be nice if they told you you will have them turned off...I didn't even realise they were included as I bought it, didn't do the trial.

Sigh..... thanks again.

:) SileneUK