Copy tweener

Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Is there a way to copy tweener settings from one bone to another? I am trying to animate a long tail and I don't want to have to adjust each tweener....

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I don't think so, but you can select multiple, or even all, tweeners at once and set them at the same time.

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Really? How do you select multiple tweeners--I must not be doing that part correctly...

And for a side question...I am using an aniblock to get the base walking animation correct, but the feet are pointing up. I can rotate them down, but how would I do that for each frame? I seem to recall an aniblock that fixed feet, but I can;t find it--maybe I dreamed it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

hold shift
    this is a huge simple Carrara thing for lots of functions that eluded me for years
    such as attaching skeleton, removing hair painting, unselecting polys etc
    the hold shift function has been underemphasized a lot!

also drag and select, you can delete whole rows of keyframes this way such as foot rotation!
    you can adjust foot rotation in studio and resave the block if you have animate2, M4 &V4; aniblocks twist Genesis feet, hands and collars, I just delete all the keyframes for those parts except the first one (never delete the first it breaks the rigging) and readjust.

edited December 1969

Thanks Wendy--I'll give it a try!

edited December 1969

To select a tweener, click the space between to keys. Hold 'Shift' and select more of them.

Hmmm... I think I may have had that same dream! I didn't remember that aniblock until you just mentioned it.

You're using Genesis, or some other non-Millennium figure then, right? Here's how I do that:

I scroll down the sequencer to the foot and select all keys for that foot with a single drag motion, for speed of multiple selections.
    Then I deselect the first key, the last key, and a couple more in the middle, where I know the foot rotation needs to change the most.

Now I press 'delete', leaving only those few keys left for that foot.

Select that foot and rotate it to where it belongs for each of the frames left in the sequencer.

Note that the keys may not match up exactly at the time notch in the timeline. To fix that, you just grab the key and give it a slight jiggle and release. This will snap it into place.

Watch the animation and look for where you might need to add a rotation to that foot anywhere where there are no longer keys.

Repeat this same process for the other foot.

Also note that the toe information may be just fine - so you may not have to edit any of that. Do the feet first and see what you have.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An alternate method could be to create a new aniBlock within DS if you have aniMate2. There is a heels option that might just work for rotating the feet back down to a good, default angle. I haven't tried that yet. But aniMate 2 is very easy to use, and has many options for editing, combining, and making new aniBlocks. It can also convert DSS keyframes to aniBlock - which can then use the power of aniMate 2 to edit and save a new aniBlock.

Just to give you another method. We all have our favored methods, after all!

edited June 2013

Dart---thanks for the reply. This is a xenomorph figure based on V4 bones. It walks on it's toes, so I need to adjust the feet down (and the aniblock angles them way up).

I deleted the feet keyframes as Wendy and you suggested and set the feet to the correct position in frame 1--it worked out pretty well. I am animating over an uneven floor, though so I'll need to adjust some of the keyframes (better than all). I'll try the tweener adjustment on the tail next...

Thanks for the help!

Edit:--I hate animating feet!

Post edited by Salem2007 on
    edited December 1969

Perhaps, but it beats animating the whole thing! LOL

Also, sometimes I find that I can borrow the texture of uneven ground and apply it to even ground to make the animation scenes that must show the feet easier. Leave that flat plane where it needs to be to keep the feet on the floor, then bring the uneven ground up to poke through everywhere but along the path of the feet visible through the camera. Depending upon the scene, sometimes tricks like that work beautifully.

As I like to use aniBlocks and such, I like to set up scenes specifically to cater to them. Like, if the surface my characters are to walk on is somewhere other than the center of the scene, at the right height, I group it all together and move it to where I need it - long before my characters ever step foot onto the film stage.

edited June 2013

Interesting idea to solve uneven ground problems--I may give that a try. I usually use a lot of fog!

Post edited by Salem2007 on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI

I am using an aniblock to get the base walking animation correct, but the feet are pointing up. I can rotate them down, but how would I do that for each frame?

Carrara's Graph editor, in the sequencer,. will allow you to select and adjust the rotation of the feet for all frames at the same time.

Select the foot,... identify which axis needs fixing,.... select that Axis in the sequencer view,.... then switch to the Graph editor.
    You should be able to Drag a rectangle area around the key-frames to select them all, then move them up or down to adjust the rotation

For a tail animation,. you may find it easier to create a Target helper and set the end of the tail to track that,. and use the tails IK to animate the entire tail, by moving the target helper object.

edited December 1969

mmmm- I don't get into the graph editor much (usually only by accident). I'll give it a look this afternoon. Thanks!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the help everyone. Here is what I have so far--not much, but at least I'm over the intial roadblocks....

youtube link

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Thanks for the help everyone. Here is what I have so far--not much, but at least I'm over the intial roadblocks....

youtube link

That looks really nice.