Physics

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

This may seem like a dumb question but i have never in my life used the PHYSICS.

I have a simple 1) GLASS 2) a table top and a 3)Meta ball particle emitter. I want the METABALL emitter to POUR into the GLASS BUT it seems to go right through it.

PLEASE ADVISE

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited June 2013

In the particle emitter Advanced tab, click the scene objects (click only , change >>> name of holder object)

You can click the one below that too, to make the liquid stick together more.

Can also lessen the air frictions and other frictions. If you start getting bleed through, up the air friction a tad.

Just use a plain gray default shader to test so the simulation runs faster.

(no reflections, no shadows (especially the particle emitter), no bump, no highlights or shininess until you are satisfied or it will take forever to render.

NOTE: Oh yeah, you have to be as patient as a tick on a turtle's back to get there results you want. heh

NOTE 2: Glass Holder: Turn OFF reflection,shininess, highlights on your glass, turn intensity down to about two thirds of normal. no bump, no reflections, no highlights, no shininess etc.

Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

And don't forget to turn those functions back on when you have an acceptable simulation!

Now for what you don't want to hear. Metaballs will not fill the glass like water as they have no volume. They will attract to each other and form a big blob. Just so that you're aware.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

This may seem like a dumb question but i have never in my life used the PHYSICS.

I have a simple 1) GLASS 2) a table top and a 3)Meta ball particle emitter. I want the METABALL emitter to POUR into the GLASS BUT it seems to go right through it.

PLEASE ADVISE

I'm just curious....any particular reason why you decided not to use a fluid simulator for something like this?

edited December 1969

Quick test of filling glass with the 'mudflow' meatball physics. As you can see it globs up, but has fairly decent flow. I suppose one could make a copy of the glass, make it the same shader color and properties of the particles, then animate the size to grow vertically as the particles do their thing.

Note: nothing fancy was done, just rendered as I previously described with the exception that I gave a blue color to the particles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqlwp5b3Jrw

edited December 1969

FWIW, here's a very quick 'n nasty fluid sim I just did with Blender showing how you can get a very nice "water poured into a glass" effect without too much work. And, at least IMO, the results you can get are really pretty good. And yes, it does fill up the glass nicely if you let it run a bit.... :)

http://youtu.be/La3EWJoz8Lw

edited June 2013

And here's a not-so-quick and not-so-nasty simulation showing one of them standard fluid sim animations with water pouring in a glass and looking like a fancy advertisement for some liquor company.... :)

Forgive the dark liquid in the glass....I forgot to crank the ray depth up before I rendered.

http://youtu.be/z3-5b38IPd4

EDIT: BTW, I have to give credit to the stock internal Blender render engine. This anim used the standard renderer (not Cycles or Lux or anything like that) and did a real nice job. Only about 1.5 minutes per frame.....

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • edited December 1969

I am sorry I have to scim and go alot of the time and not read every word everyone so generously supply! SO where is a FLUID SIM I can use!

1) SO MEat balls Will not give me what I want?
    2) Is there a FLUID SIM PLUGIN?
    3) I am MAC Running Carrara 8 pro or what ever the latest version is

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Carrara doesn't have liquid physics; like most every other CG app does. But we do have genesis, and it really wont cost you too much to be able to use it.

You might check one of the other 2 threads on this subject, i think there may be a plugin. Don't think it is free.

But we have genesis. Well not yet. Still waiting on C8.5; after 2 years.

My hair is falling out faster.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited June 2013
    Post edited by McGuiver on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

you should also try a particle emitter of metaballs; they can simulate a fluid pretty well

edited December 1969

I am sorry I have to scim and go alot of the time and not read every word everyone so generously supply! SO where is a FLUID SIM I can use!

1) SO MEat balls Will not give me what I want?
    2) Is there a FLUID SIM PLUGIN?
    3) I am MAC Running Carrara 8 pro or what ever the latest version is

Joe mentioned Blender. There is a Mac version. If you have to use a fluid simulation that should do the trick.

If you want to do it all in Carrara, then particle emitter using metaballs will work for the pouring fluid, but you will need something else to simulate the glass filling.

The responses so far have been pretty short and sweet, with links even. There's skimming and then there's not paying attention. ;-)

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Here is a youtube of Pycloid fluid sim filling a glas, sort of.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjd2o-QCocg

Windows only, so VirtualBox should run PC version of Carrara.
    After fixing the scratch disk setting:
    http://www.vitalbodies.net/site/tech-web/tech/260-getting-carrara-daz-studio-hex-and-bryce-to-run-in-ubuntu.html

edited December 1969

I wonder if the same result made with pycloid can be achieved using a fall of metaballs - the objects and not the particles - subjected to bullet physics. I guess is more or less what fluid simulators actually do. I'll give it a try, looks a hard task anyway

• edited December 1969

OKAY is there anyway to get the fluid sim from blender into Carrara to render it there? ALSO can it interact with objects in Carrara

edited December 1969

Wow...on second thought, after seeing what they can do, I suggest you use the 'cloid thing and the meatballs....I think you'd probably be much, MUCH happier with the results. And it's a lot easier to do, and you don't even have to leave Carrara to do it. Yeah, definitely stick with those.

Since I'm pretty much clueless with the 'cloid and the meatballs I'll let the others help you with this. Good luck !!

edited December 1969

The best fluid simulator is RealFlow.

But, it's around 4K dollars U.S.

edited December 1969

Wow...on second thought, after seeing what they can do, I suggest you use the 'cloid thing and the meatballs....I think you'd probably be much, MUCH happier with the results. And it's a lot easier to do, and you don't even have to leave Carrara to do it. Yeah, definitely stick with those.

Since I'm pretty much clueless with the 'cloid and the meatballs I'll let the others help you with this. Good luck !!

Joe, nowhere did I read that people were saying to ignore Blender. I even referenced your post. My question is, why do you take it as a personal attack when other people suggest other ways of accomplishing a task? For some reason you seem to think that it's your way or the wrong way. Sorry to tell you this, but the world isn't black and white, right and wrong. No matter if meta-balls are used, Pycloid or Blender, it's still a simulation. It's Somebody's interpretation of how fluids react. Blender is based more on physics, but it's still a mathematical approximation of how fluids react.

• edited December 1969

Well dang once again FOILED with Pycloid as I am all mac... I may try Blender. I have an older version on my power mac machine and have doen a little modeling in it, BUT how would one get the fluid sim from bonder and into Carrara?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited June 2013

fancy a nice drop of red Rich?
    (all Carrara particles and morphs)

water_only.gif
    800 x 450 - 5M
    nice_drop_of_red.gif
    800 x 450 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited June 2013

Just a little fluid and cloth sim silliness....... :)

And yeah, unlike some who proudly proclaim "No Postwork", these images have TONS of postwork !!! :) :)

Physics101d.png
    960 x 1021 - 900K
    Physics101c.png
    960 x 1021 - 929K
    Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • ShannonHoppeShannonHoppe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello Richard. I haven't tried it but off the cuff I would say perhaps exporting via MDD from Blender and using Fenric's MDD plugin to import into Carrara. It would be a lil heavy on the file size, but may be what you're looking for. Here's a video of exporting Blender fluid sims via MDD to Modo. Hope it helps :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx0VpjGgAyc

edited December 1969

I think Wendy's demonstration looks really good. Rich, if you're really nice to her, perhaps she would share the scene file.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited June 2013

Heh, nice work Wendy,
    I love how you have the limitless glass of red, the one that never empties :)
    Send me a bottle sometime,
    I'll send you some of my chicken curry in return - the bowl never empties in that one either (cause n0-one eats it :)
    smiley

Post edited by Headwax on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

unfortunately I used Daz props in that animation
    namely a bottle and glass from Souless empathy's bar
    I created a tip morph target on the fluid in the bottle and a fill/empty one on the glass fluid.
    I used the preset simple water nozzle with spread angle reduced to 1 & free in scene collide with everything but bottle
    (otherwise it trickled down the bottle)
    shaders were modifications of the digital painters glass and liquid ones, too red but wanted to show morphs in containers and filling, water one was more realistic with index of refraction for water addded.

edited December 1969

Hello Richard. I haven't tried it but off the cuff I would say perhaps exporting via MDD from Blender and using Fenric's MDD plugin to import into Carrara. It would be a lil heavy on the file size, but may be what you're looking for. Here's a video of exporting Blender fluid sims via MDD to Modo. Hope it helps :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx0VpjGgAyc

Be careful....

I'm certainly not an expert at this, so I could be wrong, but I *think* that MDD can't handle generated particles in the import. I think I mentioned that in another thread recently. A fluid sim is constantly generating new mesh, but I believe MDD requires the same poly count in each object in the sequence. I doubt they used MDD for the actual fluid mesh....maybe just the tracers or some other particles.

Also as I mentioned before, I'd either use an OBJ sequence to export/import into Carrara if you REALLY need to do your rendering in Carrara, or, my favorite solution, which is compositing. Render in Blender, maybe use proxy objects to interact with the fluid sim if you need to, and then composite the results.

edited December 1969

Here's a super simple and super goofy composite of a Blender rendered fluid sim plus a Carrara rendered character.

First do your render in Blender, as always, as sequenced images. Then pull one or more of those images into Carrara for use as a background. Then set up your character anim in Carrara using that image as a guide. When the anim is ready to render, get rid of the background image and render against an empty background. Make sure you select to render an alpha channel and use PNG or whatever you like. And, as always, render as a sequence of images.

Then take both sequences into your video editor, lay one on top of the other, and render your video.

http://youtu.be/eNGZBv3ibFw

edited December 1969

Here's a super simple and super goofy composite of a Blender rendered fluid sim plus a Carrara rendered character.

First do your render in Blender, as always, as sequenced images. Then pull one or more of those images into Carrara for use as a background. Then set up your character anim in Carrara using that image as a guide. When the anim is ready to render, get rid of the background image and render against an empty background. Make sure you select to render an alpha channel and use PNG or whatever you like. And, as always, render as a sequence of images.

Then take both sequences into your video editor, lay one on top of the other, and render your video.

http://youtu.be/eNGZBv3ibFw

thank you, very useful

edited December 1969

Indeed, MDD won't work because the vertice count isn't constant. Bummer. But that's not to say that one can't "brute force" with an obj export and pull the Blender results into Carrara.

- Run Blender Sim
    - Export OBJ with animation option checked
    - Import OBJ's to Carrara
    - Smooth OBJ's
    - Turn Visibility off for OBJ's
    - Stagger the time line and visibility on for OBJ's
    - Assign Materials
    - Render

The quality of the fluid sim in my example is low for time consideration. Really good results can be obtained by cranking up the settings in Blender. The entire process from Blender to Carrara, including render time, was under two hours. For larger sims/animations this routine would become cumbersome quick. But eh, it works.

My sample Carrara file available here:
    http://shannonhoppe.com/forumposts/Daz/FluidTestCar.zip

Youtube Video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WijtQ_eLR68

edited December 1969

The quality of the fluid sim in my example is low for time consideration. Really good results can be obtained by cranking up the settings in Blender. The entire process from Blender to Carrara, including render time, was under two hours. For larger sims/animations this routine would become cumbersome quick. But eh, it works.

Thanks. So how did you import the OBJ sequence into Carrara?

After looking at your video, my first reaction was "heck, why not just render it in Blender and you're done?" :)

I know you did that to illustrate a point, but for those considering this export/import method keep in mind that unless there's something in Carrara that REALLY requires you render your scene there, you might be able to just do it all in Blender.

Now if you have a whole Carrara scene all set up with characters and stuff, and just want to bring a fluid sim into it, also keep in mind that instead of bringing the fluid sim into the scene as a sequence of OBJ's, you can bring it into the scene as a sequence of PNG's..... :)

Seriously, you can render ONLY the fluid sim in Blender against an empty background, render as sequence of PNG's with an alpha channel, and then bring that into your rendered Carrara scene as a composite. Since your fluid is rendered against an empty background it will be nice and transparent and fit right into your Carrara render. No export/import hassle....

edited December 1969

Joe, it was to provide a path for those that may have to rely on Carrara for whatever reasons (characters, vegetation, preference, etc.). Personally, I agree that if it were my project I would just stay in Blender at that stage. However, I'm assuming the point of the thread was how to get fluid results from or into Carrara. As far as how I imported the files it's straight forward: import them one at a time and be diligent. Considering the repetition involved it's likely an opportunity for someone to write a script.