Adding content to Poser 2014 from existing Poser Runtime Trees

Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
edited June 2013 in Poser Discussion

Hello, all!

I am installing Poser 2014 on a new 64 bit machine running Windows7 and I would like to use my existing Poser tree from Poser7 on my old computer. (If anybody has relevant links, here at daz, at Rendo, at Smith Micro, or to tutorials that haven't come up in my search, they would be greatly appreciated).

BACKGROUND

I n the ‘old’ machine’s Poser7, the base Runtime was installed under the C:\ProgramFiles\SmithMicroPoser 7 directory Example:

(C:\ProgramFiles\SmithMicro\Poser 7\Runtime)

This was the typical recommended installation.

The only items I installed afterwards in the base Runtime were items that specifically asked to be installed there (One item is Victoria 4 along with all the Daz characters).

Based on my experience with Poser 5, with one unwieldy Runtime, in my Poser 7 everything else was installed in separate Runtimes. Example:

(C:\ProgramFiles\SmithMicro\Poser 7\Runtime_ClothesV4\Runtime)
(C:\ProgramFiles\SmithMicro\Poser 7\Runtime_HairStyles\Runtime)

QUESTIONS

(1) In poser 2014 Pro can I have my tree (Panel in Poser Screen) look like this:

PoserPro2014
Downloads
Poser7Tree
Runtime_Poser7Root
Runtime_ClothesV4
Runtime_HairstylesV4

The subtlety in this is that the existing Runtimes are one level down, consolidated in their own directory. I ask because the menu seems to be set up to do this, but when you try it doesn’t seem to let you.

(2) Does Victoria 4 still have to be in the Root or base directory like it was in Poser7? (And if you follow SM's reccomendation - where is this actually?)
(3) When accessing the panel with the Runtimes, Poser 2014 sometimes “freezes” for periods of up to 30 seconds at a time. Has anyone else experienced this?
(4) In the past you were able to manually edit the “LibraryPrefs.xml” file with a common text editor (by temporarily renaming *.xml to *.xml.txt) if you wanted to change the order of your runtimes. The Poser 2014 xml file seems more complicated (see below; or will add later; it’s on the new machine) is there any way I can find out more about what all this means and if it now references other XMLs or something:

edit 6/19:
added phrase '_Poser7Root' . Wandw is right. For purposes of what I'm asking there shouldn't have been a 'Runtime' only folder there.

Post edited by Consumer573 on

Comments

• Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited June 2013

FYI There is now an update (Service Relase dated June 6) for Poser14 that I will also try:

http://poser.smithmicro.com/pro2014-updates.html

Here is what it is supposed to cover (Source: Smith Micro Readme):

"Smith Micro Software, Inc. and the Poser team are pleased to announce that the Poser Pro 2014 Service Release 1 (SR1) is now available for both Mac OS X and Windows. SR1 will update your non-beta version of Poser Pro 2014 English to the latest version."

SR1 offers several enhancements and addresses known issues present in the following areas:

SR1 (Poser Pro 2014 Service Release 1 - REQUIRED (Version: 10.0.1.25099, Released 6/6/2013))

Enhancements and Fixes, by Category
    General
    • Duplicated props now properly reference binary morph data from the original
    Cloth Room
    • Re-enabled progress dialog and cancellation of cloth simulation
    Material Room
    • Fixed case where blank mapNames would cause file to not parse correctly
    Preview Rendering
    • Fixed case where incorrect texture arrays would cause instability (SreeD only)
    • Wind force lines will now obey the object and figure visibility settings
    Final Rendering
    • Improved stability of Subsurface Scattering with very small shading rates
    • Shadow maps now render correctly in separate process multi-pass renders
    • Fixed artifacts in rendering with reflections and certain geometry
    • Transparent surfaces now show specularity in reflections
    • Improved stability when rendering with 'Remove backfacing polys' enabled
    Animation
    • Animation palette: Now preserving current actor when camera is adjusted
    • Animation palette: Corrected scrolling direction (Mac OS X only)
    Figure Creation
    • Disabled conforming of magnet deformers by default. Greatly improves Fitting room workflow without requiring dev rig and magnetize poses.
    • Fixed case where magnets on props were incorrectly being created to operate in world space instead of local space
    • Now computing magnets for existing figures in local space again. Loading files with version 10.0 or newer will trigger computation in world space. Toggle 'Compute magnets in world space' on figure Properties tab to adjust behavior.
    • Fixed case where wave deformers on figures were being created to operate in world space instead of local space
    • Changed morph creation brush logic to improve interaction when multiple figures or objects are overlapping
    • Fixed refresh of Morphing tool Create tab when switching objects
    • Improved behavior of morph creation on props parented to a figure body part
    • Setup, Fitting room: Fixed case where collapsed items in selection dialog were not included in results
    • Copy Morphs From: Enabled copying of invisible parameters and linkedParms
    • Copy Morphs From: Now connecting meta value parameters. These are value parameters that in addition to controlling target parameters also control other value parameters. This also fixes some other value ops that may not have been connected in certain cases.
    PoserPython
    • Now preventing running of Tkinter scripts to improve stability. Tk as included in OS X causes instability when embedded in an application (Mac OS X only)
    • Now preserving current actor when camera is adjusted
    Known Issues
    • Fitting room: 'Zero figures' option can't be adjusted for props, defaults to on. Please use Group editor to spawn a prop if you intend to preserve shape adjustments via morph targets or magnet deformers.
    • Setup, Fitting room: Deleting bones will result in the parent left behind having regenerated joint information. Please use Figure > Copy Joint Zones From... to restore lost information if you are affected by this issue.

TRADEMARK & COPYRIGHT NOTICE
    Poser, Poser Pro, the Poser logo, and the Smith Micro Logo are trademarks and or registered trademarks of Smith Micro Software, Inc. Poser copyright © 1991-2013 All Rights Reserved. All other product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Where do you have your PP2014 Content installed? Hopefully not in the 'Classic location' of the Poser program directory in Program Files, as this will not work properly in Windows 7 due to User Access Control.

Here's a tutorial on installing previous versions' content:

https://support.smithmicro.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2083/~/installing-poser-content-from-previous-poser-versions

1: You may be confusing the Library as your clothes and hair runtimes are in the root of the Poser7Tree runtime. I'd put them in the same folder where Poser7Tree is (outside of the c:\Program Files hierarchy!!).

2 No, V4 can be in her own runtime, as long as all of her morph packs are installed into that runtime as well. Same with M4 and K4 too. However, S4 and A4 are morphs of V4, so they need to go in her runtime.

3. In the library preferences(sort of a ribbed horizontal bar towards the bottom of the Library pane) there is a setting "Reopen Folders"; uncheck that and ti should be much quicker

4. Yes, you can edit manually. I only have pasted in my external runtimes from previous versions, so I don't know much about the differences between previous versions preference files.

And yes, Install the SR.. :)

edited June 2013

Thank you very much, Wandw.

Yes, I followed the recommended guidelines for Poser 2014 and did NOT put them under programs like they were before. They are, as now recommended, under Users in the same directory that Poser2014 puts its directory.

Okay, then I cannot group them all together under a "Poser7 Directory" (old tree from the the previous computer) and it means I will have a lot of Runtimes there including the new Poser2014.

(Would have been nice, though, to consolidate all the previous stuff so when poser comes up asking where something is it is all in one tree. Too Bad Poser couldn't do that automatically, since zip files seem to know where stuff is. I hear that in the 'olden days', back when computer programmers wielded swords and maces on horseback, and when 'Star Trek' was a game printed out on a dot matrix on paper with visual graphics in the imagination, it used to simplify searches when certain stuff was in one tree.)

I will next take a look at that band thing (Reopen Folders) to see if that is what is hanging poser when I am in the library. Would not have thought of that without you.

And...Rather than try and install each runtime one at a time, I will see if I can copy the text from the poser7 Library Prefs *.xml and paste it selectively it to the Poser2014 xml. Hopefully that will be both faster and give me even more control than what Smith Micro is offering. It should also make it look more like my old one.

edited December 1969

I'd create a folder called Poser Library and put in:

Poser7Tree
    Runtime_ClothesV4
    Runtime_HairstylesV4

(as an aside it is considered bad practice to use the word 'runtime' in the path to a runtime as it may confuse some Python scripts; I can't verify that, myself)

Then add those three parent folders to the Library.
    Since you are comfortable editing the LibraryPrefs and will have the above as a guide, you can then move the PP2014 content there if you wish and adjust the path in the xml file accordingly...

edited December 1969

Use of word "Runtime" in the Folder as bad form. I didn't know that, and it's too late right now if I want to keep compatibility with my old drawings. That was done ages ago, back to Poser5 and so far I haven't had any issues. But maybe that is what is slowing the library search in 2014. I'll keep it in mind. Would be a BIG problem for me if that is the case.

edited June 2013

Thinking about it, I'm not sure if we're talking apples to apples here. Just to be clear what I'm asking.

In Windows7, on the Hard Drive, I do have everything in one Tree for Poser 7 and another that is separate and pristine for Poser 2014.

It's the format that I'm allowed in the Poser 2014 panel that I'm trying to adjust. I guess that the question is (in the Poser 2014 Library) Can I have it show me "Poser2014" and "Poser7 Tree" and then when I choose which to go to, if I choose "Poser7 Tree" then can I see all my Runtime folders from Poser 7 together (Runtime_ClothesV4 etc).

The answer, as I understand it is, "No". The Poser2014 Library will show me "Poser2014", "Runtime_ClothesV4" etc. all on the same level as these are all folders that directly contain a folder named "Runtime".

"Poser7 Tree", an additional level away from directly containing a 'Runtime' folder would not be allowed.

edited December 1969

The runtime names shouldn’t matter as Poser looks at them as as one giant runtime; that's why it's important to uniquely name textures and such..

I don't use the Library search, but search in Explorer because it is faster. But then, I have 50 runtimes...

edited December 1969

T

The answer, as I understand it is, "No". The Poser2014 Library will show me "Poser2014", "Runtime_ClothesV4" etc. all on the same level as these are all folders that directly contain a folder named "Runtime".

"Poser7 Tree", an additional level away from directly containing a 'Runtime' folder would not be allowed.

That's correct....

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    T

That's correct....

Excellent. That was the specific question. It was hard to ask. Almost like an Abbot & Costello "third base" routine.
    Thanks for bearing with me.

edited December 1969

As an aside, how do you get the "rat's Keister" tag line below your posts? Someone told me something from Jay Leno that I think I'd like to quote for a few days.

edited December 1969

Click on Your Control Panel at the top right of this Forum pane, and then on Edit Signature at left... :)