Four Simple Questions?

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Hi

asked this at RDNA but no joy yet so I thought I would ask here as well - hope this doesn't put anyone off.

My questions:

I wondered if there is an align tool in poser so I can easily align one object with another in xyz co-ords?.

Can I change the hot point of an object (ie centre of rotation) in Poser?

Sometimes I click on the View Object Button and the object vanishes out of view (must be behind camera etc). I wondered how to get around this?

The quickest way to get to the Pose Camera?

sorry if they are stupid questions!

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

The rotation center can easily be changed in the Joint Editor, found on the Window menu.

To get to the Posing camera, hit ctrl-comma (,) Ctrl-M will return to the Main Camera...

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited June 2013

WandW said:
    The rotation center can easily be changed in the Joint Editor, found on the Window menu.

To get to the Posing camera, hit ctrl-comma (,) Ctrl-M will return to the Main Camera...

Thanks WandW, appreciate your quick reply.

So silly question number 5, if the object is not rigged, I am guessing that the joint Editor will not help?
    So any way of changing the hot Point in a simple unrigged mesh or primitive?

An easy example of workflow I would like to do would be:

I have a human figure I want to place an object in the hand of - say a stick.
    I want to be able to drop the stick into the scene, select the stick and the hand and have their hotpoints aligned with an align tool or similar.

(Then I would make the stick the child of the hand in the hierarchy)

I then would like to change the hot point of the stick so that it is at one end (the end in the hand), and when I rotate the stick afterwards the stick will rotate from that point and not, for example, it's centre.

I was wondering what the best way to do this was?

I have searched for an align tool in poser and have only found other people asking the same question, but no real answers.

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    WandW said:

Thanks WandW, appreciate your quick reply.

So silly question number 5, if the object is not rigged, I am guessing that the joint Editor will not help?

You are guessing wrong... ;) just select the prop and you can drag the origin where ever you wish. In fact, at least in PP2014, you can change the origin of a prop using the Origin parameter dials.

I'm afraid I can't help you on the other stuff I just eyeball alignments with the orthogonal cameras, so if there is an easier way, I'd like to know it too... :)

edited June 2013

Thanks once again WandW,

I actually printed out the manual but I spend so much time doing 3d at the moment that I haven't had a chance to read it all yet (only 578 pages to go :) )

I did print out the shortcut cards on good card but the fonts are so small you cant actually read them on A4 !

Thanks for the data on the origin parameter. I wouldn't have found that for another week at least !
    As far as aligning objects, one plug n person said one of his scripts would almost do it...

I'll go looking for it and if I dig it up I'll let you know (smiley here)

cheers from Oz :)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

ah here it is, Ockham, I am a thickhead, it looks like the second script on the page night do it

http://ockhamsbungalow.com/Python/

original thread here

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?18632-Align-Tool-for-Poser-like-DS&highlight=align+objects

edited June 2013

HEy, that's great! :D I'm always looking to move point and spot lights into fixtures, so this should be a real timesaver! Thanx for digging that up.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    HEy, that's great! :D I'm always looking to move point and spot lights into fixtures, so this should be a real timesaver! Thanx for digging that up.

pleasure :) thanks for your help too (insert smiley here)