Textures Falling Off?

artoirartoir Posts: 65
edited March 2018 in Hexagon Discussion

I have a question that's been making me crazy. I designed a sectional sofa in Hexagon, placed my textures on the peices and saved them. Now, the first time I pulled them into Daz, everything was great. A few days later after pulling them back into Daz again, the textures won't work now. I even tried throwing on some iray textures I bought from daz and they won't take a pattern, just a color and they end up looking like plastic. I even tried replacing the textures in Hexagon....nope. What's up with that? Thanks for any feedback.

Post edited by artoir on

Comments

• Not really sure what has gone wrong. Have you UV mapped the sofa ? 

If you want, you could PM me and attach the files and I'll have a look at it - Cannot promise anything.

Anyone else have any ideas, come across this in the past ? 

• artoirartoir Posts: 65

Not really sure what has gone wrong. Have you UV mapped the sofa ? 

If you want, you could PM me and attach the files and I'll have a look at it - Cannot promise anything.

Anyone else have any ideas, come across this in the past ? 

Thanks for the feedback WDJ, yes, I did UV them. Tonight I just threw together a bench, textured it and pulled it over to Daz....same thing. I'm beginning to wonder if Daz has the bug(?)

Here is the diff between the two. Thanks again.

Screenshot 2018-03-25 05.07.20.png
    1768 x 992 - 592K
    Screenshot 2018-03-25 05.11.12.png
    1768 x 992 - 1M
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited March 2018

Not sure if this is the answer - When I export an obj I use these settings from Hexagon, then import it into DAZ Studio with the Import settings (Pic 1).

In DS - I change the mats to Iray Uber Base, then apply the textures etc (Pic 2).

If I Import the original obj back into Hexagon I need to tick the "flip vertical" box (Pic 3).

import-export.jpg
    1902 x 1024 - 269K
    easel-DS.jpg
    1902 x 971 - 279K
    easel-Hex.jpg
    1908 x 971 - 231K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
    edited March 2018

Not sure if this is the answer - When I export an obj I use these settings from Hexagon, then import it into DAZ Studio with the Import settings (Pic 1).

In DS - I change the mats to Iray Uber Base, then apply the textures etc (Pic 2).

If I Import the original obj back into Hexagon I need to tick the "flip vertical" box (Pic 3).

Wow, ok got it, it's working now. I followed your settings for transferring it. I must have stopping doing something when I was tranferring, what a dork, lol.. Anyway, all is good now, thanks tons!!

bench render.jpg
    958 x 495 - 144K
    Post edited by artoir on
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited March 2018

Thanks for letting us know you got it working.

A couple tips for you, if you are making furniture it is good to have a few scaling aids. I've exported Gen8 Female in various poses so I can place it against (sat on etc) as a reference.

Also, in DAZ Studio, I took a cube scaled to 1 yard and used that to make to make a 3 ft ruler in Hexagon. Finally, you know the chessboard like grid Hex exports, I adapted that to make a 2048*2048 test grid - This helps to scale things when UV mapping.

Table WIP.jpg
    1908 x 1028 - 379K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on

Thanks for letting us know you got it working.

A couple tips for you, if you are making furniture it is good to have a few scaling aids. I've exported Gen8 Female in various poses so I can place it against (sat on etc) as a reference.

Also, in DAZ Studio, I took a cube scaled to 1 yard and used that to make to make a 3 ft ruler in Hexagon. Finally, you know the chessboard like grid Hex exports, I adapted that to make a 2048*2048 test grid - This helps to scale things when UV mapping.

Oh great tip, thanks! I visited your store, very nice stuff! That's exactly what I'm trying to do, make stuff good enough, as well as the renders, to sell at Daz. I haven't submitted yet, I'm too much of a perfectionist, I want it right.

Thanks again for everything.

• MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226

You can also manually flip textures inside any image editor.  I sometimes need to do this when modifying 3D scans in Hexagon.  

Also, you can use Hexagon's built-in rullers to model to scale.  

Here's a little pdf I made about that:  

pdf
    pdf
    Modeling-to-Scale.pdf

You can also manually flip textures inside any image editor.  I sometimes need to do this when modifying 3D scans in Hexagon.  

Also, you can use Hexagon's built-in rullers to model to scale.  

Here's a little pdf I made about that:  

Oh nice, thanks for that!