Before I rant

ManStanManStan Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Ok, I'll admit I've haven't been paying too much attention to DAZ lately. I'm a bit frustrated by my financial situation. And am being stymied by lack of funds stopping me from getting addons I need; like animate 2.

Well here comes Genesis 2. And I didn't invest that much in to genesis 1, basically what I would consider essential morphs like mil4 and mil3 morphs. Now it looks like DAZ is expecting me to buy all this all over again. I did it with mil3, mil 4, and genesis. I'm not doing it again. I am stepping off this DAZ treadmill that has me buying the same thing every year. Genesis will be my omega.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,381
    edited December 1969

You can still use Genesis. If you want to use G2F then yes, you may need to buy content or to go through the steps to convert the content you have. No one is forcing you to buy anything.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Ok, I'll admit I've haven't been paying too much attention to DAZ lately. I'm a bit frustrated by my financial situation. And am being stymied by lack of funds stopping me from getting addons I need; like animate 2.

Well here comes Genesis 2. And I didn't invest that much in to genesis 1, basically what I would consider essential morphs like mil4 and mil3 morphs. Now it looks like DAZ is expecting me to buy all this all over again. I did it with mil3, mil 4, and genesis. I'm not doing it again. I am stepping off this DAZ treadmill that has me buying the same thing every year. Genesis will be my omega.

you WILL be back - smile

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Didn't say i was going anywhere. Just off the DAZ $$ treadmill. I'm not financing yet another dolly.

I have clothes for SP3 I haven't used yet.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

careful Manly Stanley,
    I took you off ignore a while ago
    (you are a good bloke but get me into trouble with the admins!)
    do not make me post something that will get me moderated

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

why is everyone ganging up on Stan? I haven't bought ANYTHING genesis, and we all know were just going to end up with some sort of genesis bundle when we buy Carrara, so imho if you are PAYING for genny you are wasting your money AND sending a clear message to DAZ that you don't mind Carrara not supporting their latest dolly, in fact willing to jump through elaborate hoops and downloads and mediocre support just to use it. Seriously HOW can it be worth it???

BTW, no one else thinks it's hysterical that something is being called "Genesis 2"?

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

BTW, no one else thinks it's hysterical that something is being called "Genesis 2"?

Agreed!

Everybody knows Genesis titled their second album "Trespass"

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

Agreed!

Everybody knows Genesis titled their second album "Trespass"

And 'Genesis 2' was an early 1970's TV pilot by 'Star Trek' creator Gene Roddenberry that never became a series.

edited June 2013

Mil2 to mil3 was a step up. Mile 3 to mil 4 was a nice step up. Mil 4 to genesis was a big step up and sideways. genesis 1 to genesis 2 is a crack in the linoleum.

None the less, my feet are sore, and my throat is dry, so I'll leave this song and dance up to younger Dazzers.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Didn't say i was going anywhere. Just off the DAZ $$ treadmill. I'm not financing yet another dolly.

If Stan da Man is getting off, then maybe "Genesis 2" should have been called "Exodus" ... the next chapter in the Bible. ;)

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

If Stan da Man is getting off, then maybe "Genesis 2" should have been called "Exodus" ... the next chapter in the Bible. ;)

I doubt I'm the only carraraest fed up with the DAZ dolly-go-round.

edited June 2013

ok you need DS4.6
    but
    G2 basic female is free
    you need to fit the clothes in DS and save as a .duf support asset
    fit non-genesis to G1 and save then fit to g2 and re-save
    import from file onto figure (easier than smart content)
    and the Genesis1 mimic file works on her
    aniblocks are even MORE off though
    and the less you say about my dynamic hair animation.....................

g2006.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I doubt I'm the only carraraest fed up with the DAZ dolly-go-round.

You're not. I'd hoped we'd at least first get the Carrara release that was delayed to get Genesis compatibility. Silly, silly me.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Well... in their defense - the modelers are not the coders.
    I totally freaked when I saw news of G2 so early in the game - but now that I have it - it is a dream!
    Autofit for my Genesis 1 models will work back to Gen 3 clothing, etc., because I bought those packs. Auto fit for G2 has Genesis as a selection or UNSUPPORTED, which works pretty darned good for me so far.

I didn't like seeing it so soon either - but I totally agree with the idea that the male and female should be separate versions. This of course, makes Genesis 1 a great model to keep since it can be either as well as all of the other things it can be. I use Genesis for making monsters, and I'll never consider it a waste of my money to encourage the excellent works of Midnight Stories, Raw Art, Valandar, etc., I'm truly glad that I didn't wait - and it wouldn't bother me if all of my purchased products became free with a Carrara purchase. I love buying 3d content with my allowance money! LOL

Anyways... I liked V4 better than using Genesis for my main female character. V6 is... well... she's much nicer!

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Gushing hyperbole with no useful comparison is not making me rush out to get any of this crap.

Thank you Wendy for stating the practical facts.

EXODUS really might be the word for Carraraists.

edited December 1969

uhm
    RETRACTION
    mimic does NOT work
    I thought it did but no, unless you manually create NLA clips
    but you CAN!
    she wont speak in Daz studio
    (does in iClone )

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

If she's mute, does she have ear holes?

edited December 1969

I think so...

edited December 1969

I asked in nuts and bolts for a .dmc file
    but later might try creating NLA clips for Carrara mimic
    (will take a while)
    if I do, will share
    you do not need a cr2 either!
    (that is the hard bit with Mimic pro standalone and why I cannot use it!)

edited December 1969

The expressions work really well. The Actor parameters is where you design your person and then Character (Genesis 2 Fem) parameters is where you have an enormous list of morphforms down to even bending individual fingers.

edited June 2013

Gushing hyperbole with no useful comparison is not making me rush out to get any of this crap.

Thank you Wendy for stating the practical facts.

EXODUS really might be the word for Carraraists.

Lost my connection right after lunch, so I have had time to work with this. And the difference is.... it's the latest version? It didn't come with all the morphs G1 did? Really, I'd have to have 3DAGE, or Richard show me the advantages. All I see are disadvantages.

I think the biggest gripe I really have is the uvmapping is again, slightly off.

Surprised optitex's dynamic v5 dress, fit G2 fairly well. did about a 30 second animation; typical issues {arm through dress} but other wise worked quite well.
    The real weird part? Looks better in carrara then studio 4.6, less poke through.

And my issue with the double up on the autofit is? Autofit never worked that well for me any to begin with; always had backs out.

Sorry, I just care enough to argue about it.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2013

I dunno why I even bother anymore lol. Used poser for years, never really got good results. Moved to carrara, while I can get some OK results once in a great while, was never amazed by anything. We bought the V6 bundle, not really impressed really. Maybe in the future when there is more variety like teen kids etc, but now it's not worth it to me. I always get so mad, everytime I inject a character, even back with V4, they NEVER look like the shape in the promos....... The hips always end up looking huge and filled with cottage cheese, and the boobs are always at least a size bigger and not appealing looking to me lol. Always end up getting mad and trying again to model my own stuff in blender, fail, come back and try some more in carrara...... Vicious cycle lol.

One thing I have to admit, the DS preset materials right out of the box, look surprisingly good..... Only thing I did there was some shaping, posing, and apply preset DS materials. Maybe gets worse with more than just default lighting, dunno, too tired to play anymore. Spent all day trying to add some morphs from G1 into G2 lol.

aloof.jpg
    800 x 600 - 17K
    Post edited by TheKD on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

waiting for Stan

waiting_for_Stan.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 238K
    edited December 1969

Me too. And I guess much of my time with build 204 wasn't really with Genesis much, except for my monsters - because I really like posing Genesis now. But I still really like this new Genesis 2 Female. V6 and the Morph packs really make her shine. I do agree, though, that some could consider it a bummer to have to reinvest in order to keep with the times... but I'd rather do that - and have the new improved mesh and etc., than to have them wait - just because it might seem too early. Just my own thing - not trying to sell this to anyone. But I, personally, am really sold on it, and I can hardly wait to redo my Dartanbeck figure with the new male version when that comes out. This Rosie is just a start. I haven't tweaked her just right yet - mostly just got the shaders pretty close to how I want then and her light rig. The Hair work really nice, too.
    In one of my sessions, I had Rosie with a bit less V6 Bod, giving her a slightly softer abdomen. The face is fun. I like all of the various morphs and expressions. I do need Thorne to make some of her tweak kits, though. There's always those little subtle additions that one wants.
    Today I finally got to see my Raw Art Goblins come to life! Gotta keep Rosie away from the grip of those Monstrosities, though!

RTG2_vs_Greens.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 846K
    edited December 1969

PS, I really like bigh's render above. I especially like the face you made. Very cool.

edited December 1969

She does have ear holes and she isn't mute, either. She has a lovely, sweet voice when she's not tossing monsters around.
    edited December 1969

She does have ear holes and she isn't mute, either. She has a lovely, sweet voice when she's not tossing monsters around.

Now you can prove it! https://www.box.com/s/mpx7dwd4q842ej29ft2v

put all the NLA clips in your "clips" in instances
    (save to and drag from bowser or import)
    import the mimic cbr file under mimic load
    create lipsync and load a .wav sound
    OF ROSIE SINGING!

edited December 1969

Oh my goodness, Thank You! Wendy You Freaking R O C K ! ! !

edited June 2013

dunno how good it is though!
    I substituted visemes for missing ones and still rendering result
    only mouth, you will need to add eyes, head move etc

edit
    video http://youtu.be/Ayfx7Q6YIE0
    some choices look odd, needs work!

edited June 2013

LOL, don't get too excited, cannot get it to work on another G2BF
    and needed to add all the visemes manually

I think I used the wrong figure too
    my saved genesis 2 with morphs added

edited December 1969

I am lost now
    I cannot get those clips to work on either figure
    but they did in original try I did not save btw!!!